Texas Hunting Forum

Jealous of bowhunters

Posted By: waddy

Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:10 PM

My two lease partners both shoot a bow. I do not. They have spent their time at the lease in their stands enjoying hunting season. Meanwhile I am reduced to checking cameras, filling feeders and cooking. It just aint fair. I know what ya'll are going to say..."Get a bow" but I haven't shot one since boy scouts and will not shoot at an animal till I have practiced enough. Why do bowhunters get their own season? This is rifle discrimination! I'm mostly kidding...except for the jealousy part. Any other gun hunters feel this way?

Posted By: Bradb511

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:11 PM

If youre not comfortable with a bow then get a cross bow

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:13 PM

Suck it up and make sure dinner is ready when they get back to camp grin

Posted By: reeder05

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

rofl

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:14 PM

THIS^^^^^

Posted By: Mr Redneck

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:23 PM

violin

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:30 PM

I'll think about you this afternoon while I'm sitting in my stand, bow in hand.

Doesn't that make you feel better?

Posted By: clharr

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:33 PM

Get a bow and practice until you feel comfortable. This is my first year bow hunting and I made sure to get my bow a few months ago. I practice almost everyday. I wanted that extra month of hunting and a new challenge. It's fun!

Posted By: big10

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

THIS^^^^^

Posted By: Bowtech1233

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:54 PM

If you don't have the time or the interest in working towards shooting a bow you could always get a crossbow. Those take very little time or effort to learn to shoot.

Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 03:59 PM

I say kick back and make them cook their own dinner for one, second you don't have to practice for 2 years before you can feel comfortable hunting with a bow.
That is over rated.

Posted By: Cavscout1968

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:02 PM

This is my first season bow hunting since I was 13(thats 29 years ago) and without ever even taking animal I love it. Seeing animals 10, 5 even 2m away is just incredible. I am being very selective in my first deer though, it has to be a wall hanger.

I highly recommend it, I practiced for hours and hours before I went up into a tree and it's 100% worth it.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: reeder05

rofl

tortillas better be soft and warm and the beer cold rofl

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:19 PM

rofl

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:22 PM

Lots bacon

Posted By: Aboud

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968
This is my first season bow hunting since I was 13(thats 29 years ago) and without ever even taking animal I love it. Seeing animals 10, 5 even 2m away is just incredible. I am being very selective in my first deer though, it has to be a wall hanger.

I highly recommend it, I practiced for hours and hours before I went up into a tree and it's 100% worth it.
If u practiced hours and hours on level ground before going in a tree to hunt, you will be very disappointed with your first shot. Shooting down is totally different than shooting straight. Good luck

Posted By: Big A

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: reeder05

rofl

rofl grill

Posted By: postoak

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:39 PM

Yes, I feel the same way. I'd like to see one season and everybody using whatever weapon they want.

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Yes, I feel the same way. I'd like to see one season and everybody using whatever weapon they want.
\

Buy a bow, you'll change your mind. up

Posted By: Bobby B

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:45 PM

Take your camera and got sit your stand and take pics. You can shoot and release that way then bust his [censored] when gun season starts

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 04:52 PM

I'll say any way "get a bow" lol.

Posted By: Cavscout1968

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 05:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Aboud
Originally Posted By: Cavscout1968

If u practiced hours and hours on level ground before going in a tree to hunt, you will be very disappointed with your first shot. Shooting down is totally different than shooting straight. Good luck

No our local range has elevated shooting platforms outdoors and has a 2nd story balcony for the indoor range. I haven't shot at ground level since the 1st week I started practicing.

Hardest thing for me so far was, when the season started I was using a borrowed bow with a pedulum sight. But since bought my own bow with a 5 pin sight. Just getting the hang of how high/low to aim vs the range pin at distance. I'm okay out to 30m, but anythign further will walk this year.

Posted By: beaucfus

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 09:14 PM

i have 2 on my place as well. but they never get anything to come in close enough. i just see it as they scare the deer off their blinds and push'em to mine during rifle season.

Posted By: kuntry_kid

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 09:24 PM

All the pressure after rifle season starts makes bow hunting harder. Well, depending on how the deer act in your area.

As stated above, start bow hunting and it will make since.

Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 10:13 PM

Waddy buy a bow and you'll be hooked. I use mine during rifle season. Cavscout in America we use yards haha.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 10:22 PM

Suck it up and learn how to shoot one...you will be hooked i promise...and if you dnt want to take the time to learn...well you just dnt want that extra month bad enogh

Posted By: CleerCreekDC

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 11:04 PM

Bow hunters get an extra month because bow hunting is much more sporty and much more difficult.

I use to be a rifle hunter until I picked up a bow. After that I havnt shot a rifle sense and in all honesty openin day of rifle season makes me sick to my stomach.

I know this is soap but bowhunting has me hooked.

Nothing against rifle hunters. Y'all don't get all riled up now but I am just sharing my personal experience

Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 11:26 PM

This is an easy one, it's called golf. No better time than October to play. November is for deer.

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
This is an easy one, it's called golf. No better time than October to play. November is for deer.

I guess if you want to be bored and deerless....

Posted By: bjankowski

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: waddy
My two lease partners both shoot a bow. I do not. They have spent their time at the lease in their stands enjoying hunting season. Meanwhile I am reduced to checking cameras, filling feeders and cooking. It just aint fair. I know what ya'll are going to say..."Get a bow" but I haven't shot one since boy scouts and will not shoot at an animal till I have practiced enough. Why do bowhunters get their own season? This is rifle discrimination! I'm mostly kidding...except for the jealousy part. Any other gun hunters feel this way?

Your too funny, I never considered gun hunting, hunting, to me that is killing. rofl I done it once, tooooooo boring. partyon555 But to each his own, some need that advantage. And I tag out every year.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/14/11 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradb511

That was my plan for this year, but I let too many things get in my way.

Posted By: IronSpikeLabs

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 12:00 AM

Originally Posted By: CleerCreekDC
Bow hunters get an extra month because bow hunting is much more sporty and much more difficult.

I use to be a rifle hunter until I picked up a bow. After that I havnt shot a rifle sense and in all honesty openin day of rifle season makes me sick to my stomach.

I know this is soap but bowhunting has me hooked.

Nothing against rifle hunters. Y'all don't get all riled up now but I am just sharing my personal experience

That's always been my take on it. Though I don't bow hunt, I highly respect the skills of those who do. When I wanted to open my place for someone else to hunt, my first inclination was a bow hunter.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 12:29 AM

I got a bow in February, glad I did. It isn’t too hard. I would already take a bet being dead on from 20-30 yards with bow vs. 100 yards with rifle. When you draw the bow back there isn’t much buck fever shake. When you sight in with 9x scope from 100 yards the crosshairs are moving all over the deer. laugh

I don't agree being a bow snob "I haven't gone back to rifle since", but the bow hunting is pretty cool. I also try to take deer with muzzleloader and rifle through the year.

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 12:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
When you draw the bow back there isn’t much buck fever shake.

Now that is funny! rofl rofl That is the best one I've heard all year, I bet there are more than disagree with you than agree with you..

Oh Lord, my stomach still hurts from laughing so hard. If you think shooting a bow is that easy,, will you like to shoot for a 100.00 an arrow, we'll start at 50 yards and step back with each arrow we shoot. I need the money.

Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 01:22 AM

Originally Posted By: bjankowski
Now that is funny! rofl rofl That is the best one I've heard all year, I bet there are more than disagree with you than agree with you..

Oh Lord, my stomach still hurts from laughing so hard. If you think shooting a bow is that easy,, will you like to shoot for a 100.00 an arrow, we'll start at 50 yards and step back with each arrow we shoot. I need the money.

maybe you need a better bow? laugh

Posted By: Crossfire

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 02:31 AM

I picked up a bow 3 weeks before the season started nervous as heck. I practiced every night and on the second week started shooting from a tripod. I got my first deer and first bow kill opening weekend was a heck of a rush.

Posted By: Curly

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradb511

That's what I did and I like it!!

Posted By: matt117

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 02:43 AM

Todays bows are pretty easy to pick up and be good with in a few weeks so I agree with the OP that you don't need years. Also if you haven't shot a compound since you were a kid be ready to be amazed.

Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 03:44 AM

Man, hunting in East Texas IS bowhunting. My farthest view is only 50 yards, difference is I don't have to chase em after I shoot em.

Posted By: clharr

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 04:14 AM

I don't think I'll ever give up rifle and pistol hunting but the bow has definately added a new challenge and rush.

I also picked up the bow to have that extra month....so I should be out in the field at least thirty days this year vs. twenty or so last year. smile

Posted By: dawson55

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 05:56 AM

I bow hunt every year but never have enough time to practice. So I limit myself to about 25 yards. Which is where I usally am comfortable with what practice I get. So this year I borrowed a crossbow from a family member deploying to Afghanistan after a couple of hours at the range I am comfortable to 40 yards. On the stands I hunt with my bow from a ground blind. About 2 miles from my rifle blind. I have missed one shot with my bow this year after making a few mistakes. Haven't had the crossbow in the field yet that comes next week.

Posted By: calcreek

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 06:44 AM

Bow hunting is my new addiction. Wish I would have picked up the art sooner. And this is comming from a bonafide gun nut.

There are just a lot more advantages to it for me. I have a place I can hunt that borders real close to my town. I've shot hogs down there with the rifle but everytime I pull the trigger it's like "damn, I know some liberal schmuck is gonna call the cops saying I'm shooting at their house..."

But with the bow, I can slip in and out of the place without anyone ever knowing I killed something.

And, also rifle hunting had become kinda boring to me. It seemed like after killing so many deer with the 30-06 I had lost that "rush" feeling I'd always get before I pulled the trigger. With the bow I get that rush just hunting rabbits.

Posted By: Auctioneer

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 11:49 AM

Im Jealous because we don't have a camp Bi-ch we all bow hunt LOL!!!

Posted By: postoak

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 01:28 PM

Sounds like you all wouldn't need the enticement of a month to yourselves to keep you bow hunting, so why do you object to giving it up?

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 01:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Auctioneer
Im Jealous because we don't have a camp Bi-ch we all bow hunt LOL!!!
happy3

Posted By: AdvTX

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 05:11 PM

Been on my lease over 10 years and I was the only bow hunter out of 8, now there's only 1 gun hunter and he just got a crossbow!

To me its just more fun and challenging trying and perfecting getting closer to them without the use of a enclosed blind.

I've shot 6, found 5 and haven't taken a shot over 25 yards....I'm addicted!

Posted By: HaskellCoDeerKiller

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 05:13 PM

Suck it up and make sure dinner is ready when they get back to camp grin rofl rofl rofl happy3 bolt

Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 11:18 PM

Why is that so funny? I have to agree with the feller. Once I draw back, there is no more "buck fever"!!
I do all my shakes before and after the shot, but not during!!
Maybe it is the bow!!! happy3

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/15/11 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy

Why is that so funny? I have to agree with the feller. Once I draw back, there is no more "buck fever"!!
I do all my shakes before and after the shot, but not during!!
Maybe it is the bow!!! happy3

Now that's funny too... You guys crack me up, rofl happy3....BTW, I don't ever shake with deer, they don't shoot back! rofl... I've played the game for real now that is a thrill.

Posted By: Vern1

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/16/11 12:50 PM

Greetings,
You could always grab your camera and "shoot" a few.
You could do that all year around as there is no season for hunting with a camera.
Much more challenging than just using a game camera, too!

Posted By: waddy

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/17/11 02:37 PM

Classic. I posted this Friday and got in the office today to read 5 pages of people calling me the "camp b*tch." I thought I would get some funny comments from fellow gun hunters...didn't know the bow hunters would come out of the woodwork to question my manhood. Just FYI I think its hilarious and it don't bother me a bit. Like I said, I was mostly joking with the original post. Thanks to all ya'lls comments I've decided that between cooking meals, cleaning camp, and washing the bowhunters socks I may borrow a bow and start practicing...

Posted By: catchin'

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/17/11 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: waddy
Classic. I posted this Friday and got in the office today to read 5 pages of people calling me the "camp b*tch." I thought I would get some funny comments from fellow gun hunters...didn't know the bow hunters would come out of the woodwork to question my manhood. Just FYI I think its hilarious and it don't bother me a bit. Like I said, I was mostly joking with the original post. Thanks to all ya'lls comments I've decided that between cooking meals, cleaning camp, and washing the bowhunters socks I may borrow a bow and start practicing...

lol35

Your a good sport waddy.

Posted By: Vern1

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/19/11 01:17 PM

Greetings,
All kidding aside, it you are out there in nature and having a good time doing whatever you are doing, you are winning anyway!

It's been said a million times already:
A bad hunting is better than a good day in the office!

Posted By: bossbowman

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/19/11 02:11 PM

Quote:
Todays bows are pretty easy to pick up and be good with in a few weeks so I agree with the OP that you don't need years. Also if you haven't shot a compound since you were a kid be ready to be amazed.

I agree, a few on here have said get a crossbow, do whatever makes you feel comfortable but I would prefer one of the newer compounds over a xbow, they are way lighter more compact than a xbow and with a release just about as easy to shoot IMO.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/19/11 02:13 PM

popcorn

Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/19/11 10:16 PM

I have bowhunted for many years, but had gotten to where i just wasn't practicing enough - got a crossbow and don't have to practice.

JR

Posted By: BowSlayer

Re: Jealous of bowhunters - 10/19/11 11:56 PM

Maybe making the crossbow a legal method of killing deer during the archery only season was TPWD's way of compromising with the rifle hunters. Or was it for the extra revenue? confused2

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum