Texas Hunting Forum

Criteria for a mount

Posted By: HuntnFly67

Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 03:20 PM

What kind of buck does it take for you to pony up the money for a shoulder mount?

Do you mount every buck you shoot?

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 03:25 PM

For me, they have to be progressively larger or extremely unique.
Mounted my first buck, a bigger 8, a 9, and then two tens.

The next shoulder mount I have done will be my first bow buck, 145" or better deer, a significant droptine, or a good double main beam deer.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 03:28 PM

Anything I think will look good as a conversation piece.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 03:31 PM

the ones that mean the most to you, unless your loaded...then just mount them all for the fun of it haha

Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 03:33 PM

1. Bigger than anything else I have on the wall.
2. Something unique or different from what I already have.

These are also my rules for shooting any "trophy" buck. If I am not going to put it on the wall, I would rather shoot an old cull or a doe.

Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 03:35 PM

First Buck (not a spike) gets mounted. After that it has to be interesting or exceptional.

Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 04:39 PM

We sorta have an unwritten rule: "shoot a trophy and you shoulder mount it, period." Take your meat from the does and culls. On our place a trophy class deer is usually a 6.5+ year old buck that is not a management deer (by our standards). Over the last 7-8 years trophies have ranged from 140"-173".

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 05:15 PM

Whichever one means something to me. Like first buck, larger than the last, good character, etc. What do yall do with the ones you don't mount?

Posted By: TxAg

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 05:35 PM

Over 140" and he's going on the wall. Got a 133" 8 that I wish I would have.

Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 05:49 PM

European mounts are cheap enough and look nice on the wall around shoulder mounted deer. That's what I do with bucks from management hunts. This is the start of my man cave.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 06:00 PM

i wont shoot it unless its going on the wall

Posted By: JonesFisher

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 06:05 PM

whats a shoulder or neck mount going for these days?

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 06:07 PM

Originally Posted By: JonesFisher
whats a shoulder or neck mount going for these days?

a good one is about $550.

i won't shoot something unless I'ma mount it(other than a cull).

Deer (for me)has to be someting of either unique character or a certain size.

I didn't get a deer mounted till i was 20, but after that I was hooked.

Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

I actually do not have a single WT sholder mounted yet. I have 3 that will get done sooner or later. I shot all 3 when I was younger, and I did not have the cash to pay for a taxi bill.

Deer #1 (142" 12 pt - main frame 10 with split G2s - very dark chocolate rack)

Deer #2 (147" 10 pt - typical South Texas looking 10 pt - 21.5" wide)

Deer #3 (157" 11 pt - love the shape of the rack, and it is my best deer yet)

Actually finally found the perfect cull to shoot last year for a cape for Deer #3. Unfortunately a contractor working in my house left my freezer unplugged, and the cape was ruined.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 06:44 PM

I will mount something that was a from a memorable hunt. Rattle, stalk, long stalk, size, unique, etc and it all depends on the hunt and the region. I have over 30 WT and 5 Mule Deer mounts now not including euros. I do not mount every buck I shoot, to many culls.

Posted By: Justin T

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 06:48 PM

It has to be bigger than my last one, or very unique.

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 07:26 PM

I think my wife will decide.....

Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 07:26 PM

My shoulder mount was 300. Very good quality, just have to know the right people. My guy does it as a side job. But as with all taxidermy, only time will tell. European mounts are free if you have the time and the stomach. wink I'm excited to get mine from last year back this weekend. Took a little longer since I killed it on the very last day of season.

Posted By: clharr

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 07:48 PM

I'm looking to get my first one with what I take this season. I quit hunting when I was 17 for various reasons, turned 31 today and this is my third season back. I did kill a 8pt my first hour of the first day back hunting three years ago but he was small.

Posted By: urbnat

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 08:48 PM

For me, they have to be bigger than what I have. The only exception would be a nice bow buck, but only because I mostly shoot doe and a few cull spikes with my bow and haven't had the opportunity for a good buck while bow hunting. However, I do have an understanding wife and have 8 bucks on the wall at home. As a matter of fact there are 8 bucks, 2 ducks, a pheasant, bobcat, two chucker, a rattlesnake, one european mount buck, and a turkey fan all in either the living room or my son's room and he hasn't even gotten up to hunting age yet. Help's that my dad has done taxidermy as a side job for the past 30 years.

Posted By: wetline89

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Novemberyet

rofl.....Mine too!!

Posted By: cmc

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 10:10 PM

My wife decides too. Last night she decided that I need to put something on the right side of the TV to balance it out cause theres a deer on the other side. Well ok honey I'll do what I can. Oh if my boy kills it she thinks it has to go on the wall, ducks, turkeys, bobcats, dont matter.

Posted By: jeffbird

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN
1. Bigger than anything else I have on the wall.
2. Something unique or different from what I already have.

These are also my rules for shooting any "trophy" buck. If I am not going to put it on the wall, I would rather shoot an old cull or a doe.

up

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/06/11 11:40 PM

Im pulling for you to get an elk mount.. Bull jump your partner next time like it was a banded duck. grin

Originally Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

I actually do not have a single WT sholder mounted yet. I have 3 that will get done sooner or later. I shot all 3 when I was younger, and I did not have the cash to pay for a taxi bill.

Deer #1 (142" 12 pt - main frame 10 with split G2s - very dark chocolate rack)

Deer #2 (147" 10 pt - typical South Texas looking 10 pt - 21.5" wide)

Deer #3 (157" 11 pt - love the shape of the rack, and it is my best deer yet)

Actually finally found the perfect cull to shoot last year for a cape for Deer #3. Unfortunately a contractor working in my house left my freezer unplugged, and the cape was ruined.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 12:34 AM

my wife decides what shades and blinds we have.

animals are up to me.

have 5 in the living room right now, # 6 is at the taxi now and hope to add number 7 this year!

Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:19 AM

my wife decides what shades and blinds we have.

animals are up to me

+1

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:33 AM

Not sure, but I havent found the right one yet. Likely will in the next couple years though. We got some good lookin bucks for next year if they make it through. If they do and I get a crack at them next year I will have one going to the taxi!

Posted By: Curly

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:39 AM

It takes one that the hunter likes enough to mount! Screw the antler width, the antler mass, the amount of points, etc. It might just boil down to the actual hunt that took place when the deer was taken....and less we forget the delicious venison provided!

Posted By: BMD

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Curly
It takes one that the hunter likes enough to mount! Screw the antler width, the antler mass, the amount of points, etc. It might just boil down to the actual hunt that took place when the deer was taken....and less we forget the delicious venison provided!

popcorn maybe the AR's played into it rofl

Posted By: Curly

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: Curly

popcorn maybe the AR's played into it rofl

Maybe ARs did! And if so, that's cool. I don't think any I have on my wall did though. But I have put more in the freezer than on my wall. And before any poaching comments are made, all were legal at the time taken.

Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:49 PM

Not sure if the OP was searching for help establishing his own guidelines or not. My personal guidelines are 140 and up. I enjoy looking at every deer mount because you know it meant something to the person who spent the extra money to make a conversation piece out of it. If you like it and have the money I say put it on the wall.

Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 01:57 PM

I think the decision to have a deer mounted is very personal and differs according to each hunter. Some folks like to have every deer mounted as a memory of each year's hunt. Almost like a time record. Others want to have exceptional deer mounted only. And still others only like skull mounts or antlermounts. Whatever you want to do with your deer is your choice and it will be the right one if you are happy with it.

Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 02:33 PM

I have various criteria.
#1 Criteria is a buck that brings out a smile like these did:

My youngest sons 1st deer

My Oldest sons 1st deer

Other criteria for me personally, it has to be one that is memorable or unique for some reason or another.

Re: Criteria for a mount - 10/07/11 02:34 PM

Thanks for playing along guys! I know what it'll take for my next wall hanger, just was wondering what y'all considered for the wall.

...and for those with wives making the call on what you get mounted, I get sole discretion of what goes to the taxidermist.

That doesn't mean that all of them make it into the house though (see signature block). bang

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum