Texas Hunting Forum

Deer camp recipes

Posted By: sandman05

Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 07:49 PM

I want to know some your guys recipes anything you do at camp for dinner or breakfast venison, pork etc. if yall dont mind sharing post up guys!!!

Posted By: MELackey

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:02 PM

backstrap, cut into small chunks, wrap in bacon, skewer with onions & jalepenos, and grill.

Ribeyes, season up with Tex-Joy seasoning, a light dusting of garlic powder, and some black pepper. Sprinkle with a little bit of lemon juice and some worchestershire sauce, and marinate for a few hours before grilling

pork shoulder, seasoned up with your favorite rub then put in the pot with some sliced up onions and a little water. Works for the crock pot or cooked several hours in the oven.

Posted By: buck-snort

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:07 PM

deer meat (chicken fried) with homemade white gravy. the best

Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:14 PM

Backstrap- tenderize, cube, marinate in greek dressing, bacon wrap, grill high heat-cook medium and enjoy

Chili-package of Carroll Shelby's chili kit, 2 pounds of ground venison, bell pepper, onion, can of stew tomatoes, 2 cups of water, can of beans......roll of TP (watch out!)

Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:16 PM

Campfire snack: Hollow out jalapenos, stuff with a combo of cream cheese AND chorizo, wrap with bacon of choice, grill until bacon is crispy and jalapeno is tender. Gives everyone somethin to pick on while the real meal is cookin.

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:28 PM

Biggest ribeye we can find, salt, pepper. Real hot charcoal 5-8 minutes per side and cheers

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:50 PM

take the venison you would turn Ground meat and cut it for fajitas ...season it with tony's, worch sauce... brown the meat and remove from skillet then sautee rotels, bell peppers, diced onion and dump the meat back in. Serve on tortillas with jalapeno ranch style beans.

boneless porkchops... season in zesty italian dressing.. take some pork ground sausage and spread it over the chops... roll the chops up (pork sausage in middle), wrap with bacon and secure with toothpicks and toss it on the grill... goes good with mac-n-cheese.

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 08:54 PM

man...i'm getting hungry and I just ate lunch

Posted By: sig6060

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 09:12 PM

Dove/Quail and dumplings - salt and pepper the breast lope, brown in a skillet with onions and garlic. Hand roll your dumplings, Use the recipe on the back of a box of bisquick, add a little cream of mushroom and cream of celery, some whole milk, and simmer. Just like chicken and dumplings but the dove and quial are just a little better. nice and bite size and no bones to worry about. My grandma makes this for us every year opening weekend of deer season.

Posted By: sig6060

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 09:19 PM

dwalls- damn hard to beat good ole chicken fried back strap! Chiken fried wild turkey breast strips are darn good also. Heck its hard to beat anything chicken fried

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 09:22 PM

night before opening day: dove wrapped in bacon and jalepenos

day of: backstrap wrapped in bacon, jalepenos, rotel and corn, jale ranch style beans

Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 09:29 PM

Boudan stuffed backstrap wrapped in bacon.

wild turkey breast coated with cream cheese and sliced jalepenos wrapped in bacon and then wrapped in foil. Cook as slow as possible.

And this year I will be experimenting with Carribean Jerk (home made) deer and wild pork.

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 11:32 PM

Easy breakfast, boiling bag omelet. Put two eggs in a quart freezer bag ( that's FREEZER bag not sandwich) add some leftover taco meat, onions, cheese, diced jalapinos or whatever leftover meat you have. Mix it all up in the bag then get as much air as you can out of the bag and zip it tight. Place the bags in rolling boiling water (I said rolling not vigiorous) for 15 min. and you have an easy breakfast with little cleanup. Use a large pan and not to thin skinned of a pan or the bag may stick to the bottom or sides.
Wife and I have this planned of our camping trip this weekends trip.

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/04/11 11:43 PM

Brown a coon in cast iron. Make gravy with drippings. Smoother coon, add onions, taters, salt and pepper. Put in oven at 325. Go out for evening hunt. When you return, remove from oven and chow down.

Posted By: sandman05

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 12:42 AM

Dam all good recipes I for sure am gonna try some this weekend guys

Posted By: KansasBow

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
Easy breakfast, boiling bag omelet. Put two eggs in a quart freezer bag ( that's FREEZER bag not sandwich) add some leftover taco meat, onions, cheese, diced jalapinos or whatever leftover meat you have. Mix it all up in the bag then get as much air as you can out of the bag and zip it tight. Place the bags in rolling boiling water (I said rolling not vigiorous) for 15 min. and you have an easy breakfast with little cleanup. Use a large pan and not to thin skinned of a pan or the bag may stick to the bottom or sides.
Wife and I have this planned of our camping trip this weekends trip.

You talking about raw eggs or already cooked?

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 02:12 AM

Raw. They will be cooked after 15 min. in boiling water.

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 02:13 AM

Im sure it's raw eggs. They cook in the bag. Eat it rite outa the bag and then throw the bag away. Basically nothing to clean but the fork.

Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 03:50 PM

[quote=hornedfrog]Boudan stuffed backstrap wrapped in bacon.

Brilliant! Going to try this weekend!

Posted By: Grillgod

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 05:49 PM

night before opening day: Big ol Ribeye cooked over real wood fire and the usual trimmings.

Opening day (evening): Ribs and brisket, usually get the smoker going after the morning hunt and let it roll all day and after the evening hunt everything is ready.

For the really cold days: Deer Chili and or frito chili pie, followed by alot of whiskey and poker

Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 05:55 PM

We just learned to cook baked potatoes in a crock pot, start them at noon, ready for supper after the hunt...great with steaks or whatever;

Posted By: buck-snort

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 05:59 PM

This is a good thread. I am going to by me a note book tonight and write all this down :-)

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
We just learned to cook baked potatoes in a crock pot, start them at noon, ready for supper after the hunt...great with steaks or whatever;
I love the crock pot,it's just too easy.Try this sometime,get a roast put in pot and let it brown just a little on each side then get instant onion soup mix and pour on top (lipton is good)then pour cranberry sauce with shredded cranberries on top,let cook about 3 hrs on low then put potatos and onions and carrots for at least another hour.MM good.All done in one dish,so easy.Go hunt and come back to dinner served.

Posted By: treeman

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 07:12 PM

heres another easy fix for the crockpot:

get a bag of chicken nuggets, 1 can of mushroom soup, and 1 can of celery soup. throw it all in the pot with a little water. let cook for a couple hours. man is it good. we call it messy chicken.

Posted By: yakinthebox

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

boneless porkchops... season in zesty italian dressing.. take some pork ground sausage and spread it over the chops... roll the chops up (pork sausage in middle), wrap with bacon and secure with toothpicks and toss it on the grill... goes good with mac-n-cheese.

That sounds awesome and terrible all at the same time. Artery clogger for sure. Hey, we only live once though.

Posted By: Sugars Pop

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/05/11 09:43 PM

Stouffer Lasagna- cook in the afternoon and still warm for meal time.
Smoke whole chickens and slab or two of ribs for 45 minutes, wrap in foil, adjust temp to 225 and it's ready for dinner time.

Posted By: DallasCountyNightstalker

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 08:28 AM

beef or pork roast kits from walmart, put it all in the crock pot before the morning hunt, dig in after the evening hunt. Use the crock pot bags and you have zero clean up.

ribeyes on the grill, also pre make the bake potatoes at the house then warm them up at deer camp with the steaks.

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 01:03 PM

My deer camp cooking is the first real opportunity for me to get back outside and cook over the fire. Everything I cook comes off my firepit wok, expanded steel grate, cast iron dutch oven, or is wrapped in foil and chunked into the fire.

Dutch oven - deer chili w/tamales, breakfast quiche, corn bread, biscuits, carne guisada (w/dove), apple cobbler, pizza

Fire pit wok - burgers, fajitas, breakfast sausage, shrimp/sausage/pepper tacos (hot, holy crap hot), cheese steaks, ham

Grate - steaks mostly, chicken breast and quarters

Wrapped in foil - drunken cabbage (all time favorite), boy scout burgers, potatoes, hobo potatoes with peppers and onion, and pretty much anything that takes time to cook.

Posted By: B_Bop77

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 01:58 PM

Some killer sounding grub. Seems dangerous to cook over open fire this year with drought and burn bans.

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 03:01 PM

Pork or venison tamales layered in a casserole dish... Pour chili over the top and cook at 350 for 20 min... Remove spread a bag of shredded cheese (4 cheese) and put it back in for 10... Works good with burritos & chimis as well.

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 03:08 PM

wahts drunken cabbage?

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 03:41 PM

Pinto beans, jalapenos, salt pork, and a javelina hind quarter. Put it all in a large crock pot and let it go until the javelina falls off the bone.

Posted By: RobertY

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: E. TX Daddy
wahts drunken cabbage?

I take a large head of cabbage, core it, wrap it in foil leaving the top open, core pointing up, fill hollow core with salt, pepper, garlic and minced onion. Take room temperature beer and start pouring it in. One large head will drink about 2/3rds of a can (the rest is for you). Wrap everything tight, add a 2nd layer of foil and toss it in the outskirts of the fire for 1 hour 15 minutes. Roll it around occasionally.

Heaven.

Posted By: Steelplayer

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/06/11 05:20 PM

Venison backstraps, cut into 10-12 ounce medallions... soak in milk for 4-6 hours, drain milk, season w/ salt/ pepper or, montreal steak seasoning, grill over hot fire. also dice potatoes, wrap in foil with italian dressing, cook over fire, low heat for 45 minutes to an hour...

Posted By: zederwatz

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/07/11 02:24 AM

Simple beer bread
3 cups flour
3 table spoons sugar
1 can room temp beer (12 oz)
Mix together, bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees. no need to let dough rise before baking.

Venison/cornbread patti
fry small pea size pieces of venison (1 cup). season to taste
mix with cornbread mix (jalipeno)
fry like a burger pattie (good in bacon grease)
makes a good snack hot or cold. good for snack in blind

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/07/11 01:35 PM

My Carne Guisada is always a deer camp favorite

Brown several pounds of cubed venison in a skillet with some bacon grease. Add seasoning salt (sparingly) and black pepper, garlic, cumin, and camino. Once the meat renders it's juices add a can of rotel tomatoes and a can of water and one chopped sweet onion. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Stir to keep from sticking.

At this point you can place everything into a crockpot if you like. I cook it for about 4-6 hours until the meat is falling apart. Add water as necessary to keep it a thick stew like consistency.

Once the meat is falling apart add Fiesta brand (from HEB) Carne Guisada seasoning. The stew will thicken and it's ready to serve with tortillas.

If you like it extra spicy then add Rotel with Habeneros or you can add jalapenos, red pepper or other spices.

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/07/11 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
wahts drunken cabbage?

I take a large head of cabbage, core it, wrap it in foil leaving the top open, core pointing up, fill hollow core with salt, pepper, garlic and minced onion. Take room temperature beer and start pouring it in. One large head will drink about 2/3rds of a can (the rest is for you). Wrap everything tight, add a 2nd layer of foil and toss it in the outskirts of the fire for 1 hour 15 minutes. Roll it around occasionally.

Heaven.

up next on my hit list this year

Posted By: 1riot1ranger

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/07/11 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: RobertYuras
wahts drunken cabbage?

Heaven.

Sounds good. I may try everything except drinking the last 1/3 left over can of room temperature beer sick

Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/07/11 10:56 PM

Take twist tie from loaf of bread & remove needed slices. Replace twist tie. Insert finger under pull tab & remove lid from can. Remove appropriate number of smoked vienna sausage and place on slice of bread with dash of mustard. Eat hardy & wash down with cold Bud.

(Sorry guys, just couldn't resist it......)

I am copying some of the recipes......

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/10/11 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
My Carne Guisada is always a deer camp favorite

Brown several pounds of cubed venison in a skillet with some bacon grease. Add seasoning salt (sparingly) and black pepper, garlic, cumin, and camino. Once the meat renders it's juices add a can of rotel tomatoes and a can of water and one chopped sweet onion. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Stir to keep from sticking.

At this point you can place everything into a crockpot if you like. I cook it for about 4-6 hours until the meat is falling apart. Add water as necessary to keep it a thick stew like consistency.

Once the meat is falling apart add Fiesta brand (from HEB) Carne Guisada seasoning. The stew will thicken and it's ready to serve with tortillas.

If you like it extra spicy then add Rotel with Habeneros or you can add jalapenos, red pepper or other spices.

I'm making this rite now with some of my doe I bowed Saturday morning. Was kinda on a wild-goose chase looking for the fiesta seasoning. Just to clarify, it's not an HEB brand, and I figured it was a seasoning packet, but it's actually a season-shaker and can be found on the mexican food isle; found it at Albertsons. Currently bubblin away in my crock-pot. Hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/10/11 09:34 PM

It will my friend. Trust me. Everybody that eats my CG loves it and that includes those that "don't like deer meat".

Sorry about the confusion on the Fiesta brand CG seasoning. I buy mine at HEB. Not sure who else carries it. I add a little when I start cooking. I add it to taste when the meat is done. It will thicken up once you add it so keep it a little soupy while cooking.

This is one of those dishes that will be better and spicier the next day.

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/11/11 12:51 AM

Well, I won't know how it tastes the next day. My family and I demolished it. Very tasty stuff, highly recommended.

Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/11/11 03:34 PM

Camp beans-

1 big bag dry pinto beans
2-5 lbs of ground meat, sausage etc.
1 large onion
1 med can jalepeno or serrano peppers.
1 pkg chilli powder
1 pkg cumin
1/2 pkg menudo spice

Boil beans rapidly for 35 min drain and rinse

while beans are boiling fry meat in skillet with onion and 1/2 chilli and cumin.

Add fresh water, chilli, cumin, menudo spice, fried meat and drippings to beans. Simmer for a couple hours and serve with sweet cornbread and shiner bock.

Posted By: SNAFU

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/11/11 04:57 PM

Easy one I always prepare before leaving house that can pack in cooler and ready to cook. Mom called it HOBO dinner !
Simply prepare ground meat of your choice how you like it, add some diced onion's, bell peppers, maybe thin sliced potatoes, and rap it all up in foil. Use couple layers to make it more rugged.
To cook simply place in the coals and wait. Pull out of fire and peel open, ready to eat with little mess.

Posted By: B_B_D

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/11/11 05:39 PM

And I'm wiping the slobber off my laptop...

Posted By: glasshole

Re: Deer camp recipes - 10/12/11 12:14 AM

Hola Sandman Check out this website...and the rest of my THF brothers....always aweseome
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/

They got it all...let me know what you think. Hope this helps food

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum