Texas Hunting Forum

hog panels around feeder

Posted By: huntandfish

hog panels around feeder - 10/02/11 08:07 PM

i need a little info from the great hunting gurus! In the past several months ive enjoyed watching deer on my game cam at my two feeders By my deerstand, recently ive had so many hogs move in. I just had twenty deer pics out of twohundred and fifty pics! im fixing to hog panel one feeder in, but should i make it round or square For One 55 Gallon Feeder? How many 16 ft panels should i use? Any and all info is appreciated. Sorry 4 the bad typing, as im doing this from my little cell phone!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/02/11 08:10 PM

Big enough to keep all corn inside the pen. Round and at least 8 hog panels. The bigger the better if you have lots of deer.

Posted By: swmays

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/02/11 08:12 PM

4 is not enough, 6 is better, 8 works real well.

Posted By: Branden

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 01:20 AM

mine are 64x64, also cut the pannels in half and you will get more use out of them an run 2 strans of barb wire on top...like stated before bigger the better

Posted By: twinbubba

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 01:46 AM

Why on earth would you tell him to cut the panels in half? That makes no since at all.

Posted By: pnh

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 01:50 AM

34" hog panels, at least 6, 8 is better, in a circle.

Posted By: 209HUNTER

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 02:17 AM

We just put pens around all our feeders using hog panels and t posts. We used 8 34" hog panels and 16 t posts. We figured it would be easier to make the octagon rather than round and better than making them square. We found how to figure the distance using 16' panels so that it would be even. We hammered a t post into the ground and tied a string to it that was 21' long. We stretched the string to 21' and hammered a post and wired the panel to it. We then moved the string to the end of the panel and brought it out to 21' and hammered a t post to it...and so on till it's done. After that we went back and put t posts in the middle of the panel to help sturdy it up. Worked well for us. Hope this helps!

Posted By: coachmas

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 02:32 AM

We ended up using rolled wire for our pens. Worked out cheaper than buying panels for every pen. We did cut out sections in ours. I have 3 cut out low spots in my pen to encourage the deer to find path of least resistance. Fence is 40" tall I believe and I cut out 2 squares down to make the low spots 30" high. Hogs haven't found their way in yet. Coach

Posted By: Jim A.

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 06:46 AM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba
Why on earth would you tell him to cut the panels in half? That makes no since at all.

Cattle panel cut in half length wise keeps hogs out.

4 works but 6 or more is best. Just depends on how much room you have and if you want to keep feeding the pigs.

Posted By: USMarine

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 12:57 PM

Overlap the panels on each end by one square. Also make it round using 8 or more 34" hog panels. We made three pens on our place (all feeders are penned now) and my dad and cousin decided they were just going to butt up the panels end to end to gain a little more size. My pen is far more sturdy than theres because of the overlaps. I used a T-post at each panel joint and one in the center of each panel. Rock solid IMO. Good luck. BTW, we had 75% hogs to 25% deer pictures before, now we have 99% deer and an occasional pid pig but they are few and far between.

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 01:16 PM

Don't put barbed wire on the top unless you want to find a deer hung up by it's back leg in it one day. I use 8-10 hog panels and overlap the end squares and drive t-posts every 8 feet. Never had a cow jump one or push one over.

Posted By: passthru

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 01:53 PM

I used cattle panels and cut a couple spots out and made notches where it was a little lower to get in. This helps to direct traffic.

Posted By: COWDOG

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 02:10 PM

Get no less than eight hog panels...stand them up end to end and connect them with t-posts.
Square, circle kidney shape, heart shape it ....doesn’t matter...don’t kill your self over geometry.
Don’t over think it…

You will wind up with a semi circle pin. This also allows you to go around any obstacles…trees…bushes...cactus…etc...

Put your feeder smack dab in the middle.

You will need minimum of 8 posts (to connect ends of panels).
If you want and have the strength to slam more t-post…get another eight to do the middle of the panels.
This will keep hogs from lifting the weakest point in your panel up.
I have done this in the past…however with the lack of rain…and being lazy this year…I opted out of a middle post.

Instead I drove a steak (rebar) and tied off. It is working so far. I have several pics of hogs outside the feeder. None inside the pin.

Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 02:56 PM

I used 6 panels from Tractor supply. They lowered the price to like 20 bucks per. I wish I would have put 8 up. I started with 4 and that was way to small. 6 looks ok but I think the larger the pen, the faster they will jump into it. Im about to post some pics in this thread about anter restrictions.

Posted By: passthru

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 03:02 PM

Love your signature COWDOG.

Posted By: Navasot

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 03:07 PM

The bigger the better you at least want 8 or so...make sure and wire the bottom and top...shape dnt seem to be a factor..if you are in sand country stradle the feeder on one corner of the pen so you keep both sides happy...because the pigs already know there is a feeder there and they will dig under or ive even seen big boars roll thereself over the pen...

Posted By: urbnat

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Big enough to keep all corn inside the pen. Round and at least 8 hog panels. The bigger the better if you have lots of deer.

x2. Also, be careful on the height. My cousin built a pen out of the 36" hog panels and some of the hogs climb over his pen, eat and then climb back out. When the activity gets to be regualar, they will hook up a fence charger to a hot wire run along about 6" above the top of the panels for one night and then turn it off. It will deter the hogs for a while. Leave it hooked up and it will deter the deer as well.

Posted By: buck-snort

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 04:14 PM

I used 10 16ft panels (round pen). 8-10 16ft panels will do the trick.

Posted By: glasshole

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/03/11 08:51 PM

bump becuase I am looking to do the same thing next weekend and this helped me a whole lot. if anybody has more pics, that would be great. Ihave bwire around my feeder right now to keep cows out but now I want to keep the swine out as well. thank

Posted By: huntandfish

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/04/11 12:57 AM

thanks for all the info! I have a friend who is giving me 8 pieces of 24 inch Tall panels they are 16 ft long. Will that keep the hogs out, it seems short, but its free! Do you think it will work?

Posted By: coachmas

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/04/11 03:01 AM

I think it will work but I would reinforce the middle if the panels with t-post so the hogs don't push it over. I haven't had any hogs go over my low spots but mine are 30". Might even need posts every 4'-5'. I wouldn't turn down free panels though. Coach

Posted By: 209HUNTER

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/04/11 09:13 AM

Here is mine. I posted earlier about how we built ours and they turned out good!

Posted By: Branden

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/04/11 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: twinbubba

I was talking about cutting them in half length wise.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/04/11 11:24 PM

Here is one with a protein feeder and without a corn feeder. The pen was either 9 or 10 34" hog panels since these deer had been jumping into pens for 7 or 8 years at this time. Used only 1 T-post per panel since I had just about gotten rid of all the hogs on this ranch and had never had a problem with hogs on them before. I had seen as many as 15 deer in this pen at one time.

Here is one with a corn and protein feeder in it on the same ranch.

Posted By: AdvTX

Re: hog panels around feeder - 10/05/11 02:20 PM

8-10 panels and we like to cut the T-post!

Turn this

into this

Wish we had that green grass this year!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum