Texas Hunting Forum

Arkansas

Posted By: hunterken

Arkansas - 09/22/11 03:24 AM

Looking at a lease in arkansas. Has anyone hunted there? I like it cause the archery season goes till end of febuary!!!

Posted By: Spence

Re: Arkansas - 09/22/11 04:06 AM

Deer hunting in Arkansas is VERY regional. Are you talking in the Delta on the river, or Central or South west in pine forests (Weyerhaeuserr land), in the Northwest in the Ozarks… A lot more regions then that. And some are very poor for deer hunting, some are good. Also deer leases, or clubs, as they call them, can be very crowded, lots of atvs driving around at all hours, beer drinking, bullets wizzin by… or they can be very serious, pay a penalty fee for shooting too small of deer, whole crop fields dedicated as food plots that the members get together to farm etc. Just know what you are getting into. I went to school in Arkansas(woo pig! sorry ags in advance) but I am not from there, these are just things I have witnessed.

Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Arkansas - 09/22/11 03:28 PM

I own 180 acres in SW AR and it is over run with deer. AR has the same problem as East Texas. Deer don't get old. The anlter restrictions a have helped but don't expect great deer. (Except some managed places in the delta) The fact that bow season goes through the end of Feb is a bonus.

Re: Arkansas - 09/22/11 09:01 PM

Lake fork lodge our lease is gonna be in Dallas county know anything about that. Yeah we are looking forward to hunting that late in season. Not really worried about trophies have grandkids who just wanna see deer. How is the hogs and turkey ?

Posted By: onestar

Re: Arkansas - 09/22/11 10:09 PM

I hunt SW AR. Deer numbers are fair. Buck age is a problem. Crowds are a problem. Late season, I'm told, can be pretty good at least on sightings. I have always switched to fishing or other activities by that time of year. Plenty of hogs in most areas, few turkey. Turkeys come and go in the area, down right now, but will likely come back. Most of the hunters are what I call a little immature, meaning that they are there to kill a deer, any deer, so quality potential will probably not improve for some time. Doesn't seem to be too many turkey hunters, so turkey hunting should be pretty good as numbers come back.
I don't hunt the exact area you are looking at, but I hope this helps

Re: Arkansas - 09/22/11 10:30 PM

Thanks onestar. I like the long season and since we will do most our hunting during week may not be to bad you don't have any pics of deer you have killed or have on gam cam do ya?

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum