Texas Hunting Forum

Corn makes deer hot?

Posted By: SATX

Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 08:06 PM

Was speaking with an old timer who told me to find something besides corn to feed in this heat spell. He said corn heats the deer and hogs up internally and may be why I am seeing a decrease in activity at the spin feeders. (still get lots of other pics though)

It would seem to make a bit of sense, but this guy is always yanking my chain......

What say ye?

Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 08:11 PM

I would have to disagree.

Posted By: HuntSync

Re: Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 08:15 PM

I am from Missouri (Dallas resident as of 1 year ago), and our corn always seems to run out the fastest when the weather is coldest. However, we still get plenty of pictures on the corn when it's hot out...

Posted By: SATX

Re: Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 08:15 PM

I am getting more deer pics off the pig pipe, but that is also next to my watering station. They seem to be hitting the corn filled pipes regularly.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 08:22 PM

Here is a link to your question. To much corn can be a bad thing when it is in a high percentage of the deer diet under certain conditions.
http://agrilife.org/texnatwildlife/deer/...l-requirements/

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 08:31 PM

Any and all animals will eat any and all kinds of food more aggressively when it's cold because their bodies burn more calories keeping warm. That's nutrition 101.

Posted By: Western

Re: Corn makes deer hot? - 09/05/11 09:47 PM

A whole kernel, or an "un-cracked " kernel contain the equivalent of 1 btu of heat energy. If it is cracked the energy has escaped.

Sorry, most I can recall from school right now, (been along time ago)

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum