Texas Hunting Forum

Deer and Coons

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 04:26 PM

So i have pics of 7 and 8 coons under my feeder in the mornings evenings and nights. Does anybody know if coons chase deer off feeders?

Posted By: Stompy

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 04:29 PM

Yes, they will.

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 04:31 PM

What should i do to get rid of them? i dont really wanna do much shooting this close to bow season though..

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 04:40 PM

Well if you don't do something you are not going to have any deer to shoot anyways. Get you some traps and get them before they get to the feeder on the trails leading in.

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 05:04 PM

I put traps in my pens and bait them with marshmallows. Killed 5 in 2 night last week doing that.

Posted By: DeerSmokeScreen.com

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 06:10 PM

Coons are a problem for us too. I like to use peanut butter in my live traps. They really like it.

I like to boil out their skulls. Pretty cool little skulls on'em. stir

Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 06:20 PM

Coons don't chase deer off, I can easily show 1000+ pictures in the last two years that show coons and deer eating peacefully side by side.

Posted By: HuntSync

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 08:21 PM

I agree that they don't chase the deer off. But they will make your corn disappear a lot faster and deer will stay away bc the food is gone! I am from Missouri (moved to Dallas a year ago) and a couple years ago we had a major coon problem. We trapped 30 of them at one of our feeders over the course of a couple months. Our corn lasted a lot longer with the coons gone, and we had a lot more deer coming in to get their pictures taken.

Posted By: BgBkHunter

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Coons don't chase deer off, I can easily show 1000+ pictures in the last two years that show coons and deer eating peacefully side by side.

X2

Posted By: don k

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 11:30 PM

If you just want to feed coons put up a high fence and keep the deer out.

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/05/11 11:46 PM

I've got pictures where there's 3-4 coons under the feeder with deer in the background. My deer will NOT eat at a feeder with coons on it. They will wait till they leave.

Posted By: Moonie Magnum

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 12:37 AM

The coons will definitely clean your corn out. And they will climb all over your feeder trying to get into it. We had a feeder get torn up by those crafty critters.

Posted By: passthru

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 01:57 AM

I hates me some coons.

Posted By: Buschwacker77

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 11:47 AM

This time of year thats what I hunt, coons and hogs!!!! They dont seem to mind the coons at my feedsrs im just sick of feeding them, with the price of corn not comming down any time soon i think of it as pure thievery!!!!!

Posted By: redhunter

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 03:43 PM

so how many traps would you suggest putting out at the feeder at one time. i too have the exact same problem with those dam coons, and can you catch more than one in a trap at a time. i have never attempted to trap anything so any tips are appreciated

Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 07:24 PM

Wonder if the local feed stores carry those egg traps.

R

Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 07:24 PM

I bought some Duke's DP Leg hold traps at feed store In Graham this past weekend, due to all the coon pic's I was getting at our feeders. Out of 12 traps caught 9 Saturday and 6 Sunday. I just ordered another 12 from Duke's be here Friday. Gonna clean house!

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 09:15 PM

That's been my experience as well.

Just install a good critter guard around your feeder motor and you should be fine.

My experience has always been that hogs are the worst at keeping deer away from a feeder.

Posted By: helomech

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 09:17 PM

I have pics of racoons showing teeth to deer. And then in the next pic the deer is gone and the coon is still there.

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/06/11 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

That's been my experience as well.

Just install a good critter guard around your feeder motor and you should be fine.

My experience has always been that hogs are the worst at keeping deer away from a feeder.

I can show you pics of deer standing in the background with coons on the feeder eating on protein feeders minute after minute after minute, Then when coosn are gone only deer in the pics. My experience with coon guards on spin feeders is that they are made to small diameter for a coons arm length and they give the coons something really great to hang onto and rake the corn off onto the ground. If you build your own and build it big enough and strong enough it will work. Killing or catching coons will solve a lot of the problem much better than trying to keep them off the feeder. Coons need management also.

Posted By: crash700

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/10/11 02:27 AM

I have used conibear traps in the past with good success. The buzzards were happy for a while.

Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/10/11 03:09 AM

Just get a tomahark or hav a heart, and check them every morning and night. Put sardines, corn, anything in there. They'll start adding up.

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/10/11 03:24 AM

I've seen them eat side by side, seen the deer waiting their turn and I've also seen them actually fight the deer.

I caught a squirrel helping a deer last week, they both took off when I rolled up

Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/10/11 03:50 AM

I can't keep the coons away with this but it saves a lot of corn. It's a homemade job like stxranch mntioned above.

Posted By: Western

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 04:31 AM

Pulled my SD card today, looked at the photos and thought of this thread. Food has been so scarce around here, I have coons out all hrs of the day, deer also out more than normal.

This young buck was not going to give up his place in line. Only photo that wasn't "blurry", but the spike kicked the snot out of that coon!!

Posted By: Mountain hunter

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 05:34 AM

Woot Hoot for the Spike!

Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 06:44 AM

Nope. They get along quite well. Although who out numbers whom take the lead.

Posted By: don k

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 12:29 PM

They may get along because they have to but just think how much more feed your deer would have if the coons were not eating it.

Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 12:29 PM

So, is the corn feeder too close to the protein feeder and they used the legs to get onto the other one?

R

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 12:31 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
So, is the corn feeder too close to the protein feeder and they used the legs to get onto the other one?

R

Could be, but betting they just jump up and grab a hold of the feed tube then pull themselves up.

Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Deer and Coons - 09/18/11 02:21 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Originally Posted By: JohnRussell

R

Could be, but betting they just jump up and grab a hold of the feed tube then pull themselves up.

^^^^This on video!

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum