Texas Hunting Forum

Any good suggestions for protein blocks?

Posted By: Mike Garcia

Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 11:52 AM

Well Im going this weekend to grab a few items from my lease and labor day weekend we will mow, add corn to feeders etc. Just want to drop few protein blocks out just to get things moving. Any block better than others? I had few in past that just became a waste.

Posted By: redseal

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 02:10 PM

i've tried one 6 from purina and 6 from antler max this year and all have been gone in 4-6 days i don't think they care much though this year they are just hungry

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 02:20 PM

That is true, Ya i was reading about that one as well may give that one a shot. Thanks!

Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 06:21 PM

Look for one that is high in mineral content as opposed to protein. With the stress the deer are under with this heat, they'll get more benefit from mineral supplementation than from adding a little protein.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 06:31 PM

I saw the deer tearing up the record rack ones last season in Fredericksburg. I put them on my lease and a huge boar ate one in one night. So if you have hogs you better put them in a fenced area.

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Look for one that is high in mineral content as opposed to protein. With the stress the deer are under with this heat, they'll get more benefit from mineral supplementation than from adding a little protein.

ah yes thats true too. Ya I need something best of both worlds. Oh and yes hogs are deff in our area. Need to concsider that as well

Posted By: TPACK

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/24/11 10:13 PM

GX 30-30 Deer Block --made by hi-pro. I have been using this for 3 years and the deer eat it up.I believe it weighs 33pounds and I pay 9.00 for it.You canlook at the data sheet on the link listed below.

http://www.hiprofeeds.com/index.cfm?show=10&mid=118&pid=8

Re: Any good suggestions for protein blocks? - 08/25/11 03:24 AM

That hi-pro stuff sounds good, Just need to find a dealer near by. Well from what im hearing with this heat and lack of water deers are not to picky

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum