Texas Hunting Forum

Scope's

Posted By: Wreckem04

Scope's - 07/27/11 07:35 PM

gents,

I'm wanting to get me a new scope this year for deer season! in your opinion which do you think is better?

Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 07:59 PM

I have both of the scopes and the Zeiss is a lot better scope. IMO

Posted By: Roughneck Country

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 08:11 PM

Zeiss hands down.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 08:13 PM

Zeiss not even close

Posted By: rowlettmp

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 08:14 PM

I may take some grief over this comment but... I would also consider the Bushnel Elite 4200. I believe its better than the Leupold VXii (or VXiii for that matter) and cheeper than the Zeiss.

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: rowlettmp
I may take some grief over this comment but... I would also consider the Bushnel Elite 4200. I believe its better than the Leupold VXii (or VXiii for that matter) and cheeper than the Zeiss.

barf

Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 09:00 PM

Definately the Zeiss. I just bought a Conquest in a 3.5-10x50. It's a great scope.

Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 09:01 PM

Zeiss is the way to go out of those two.

Posted By: scot

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: BMD
Originally Posted By: rowlettmp

barf

The 4200 for nearly $200 will hold close to its own to the zeiss for twice the money.

But given the two options provided yes the zeiss for sure. The nikon prostaff would be a cheaper better option than the vx-2.

Posted By: cruzing

Re: Scope's - 07/27/11 10:54 PM

I have 3 Zeiss and 2 Kahles on my rifles and you can't beat ether one awesome scopes

Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 01:10 AM

Today's Nikon is equal to a Bushnell...probably comes from the same China factory.

Zeiss>Leupold>Nikon=Bushnell

Posted By: sportsman

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 01:25 AM

I have always been a Leupold guy, but my next scope will be a Zeiss.

Posted By: jim1961

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 01:29 AM

definitely the Zeiss

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 01:34 AM

Zeiss no doubt!

Posted By: hawk

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 01:52 AM

Zeiss.....

Posted By: dawaba

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 02:08 AM

Zeiss, again.

The Leupy is a fair bit lighter in weight, and if a guy were building up a super lightweight sheep rifle, he might choose the Leupold if he were looking to save every last ounce in a carrying rifle. But most Texans are allergic to walking or climbing, so it would be Zeiss hands down.

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 04:16 AM

I know this will be a unpopular response I just feel like a different opinion might be good. I cant see a thing out of a conquest at dawn or dusk. Just for the record I tried a victory in 3-12 X 56 with a 30mm maintube and had the same problem. I would recomend trying these scopes at dusk outside before buying one. It might be my eyes but I could not even make out the shapes of animals with the Victory and could see main beams with an old vari-X II. This was a side by side comparision in a blind. The conquest I tried several years ago was the same.

Posted By: NDN98

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 04:43 AM

I own the Leoupold VX-II and it is a great scope for the money, but I would buy the Zeiss if the Zeiss was the same price.

Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Scope's - 07/28/11 02:11 PM

Is that really a question?!!

Posted By: Sami

Re: Scope's - 07/29/11 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY
I know this will be a unpopular response I just feel like a different opinion might be good. I cant see a thing out of a conquest at dawn or dusk. Just for the record I tried a victory in 3-12 X 56 with a 30mm maintube and had the same problem. I would recomend trying these scopes at dusk outside before buying one. It might be my eyes but I could not even make out the shapes of animals with the Victory and could see main beams with an old vari-X II. This was a side by side comparision in a blind. The conquest I tried several years ago was the same.

That's weird since Victory Diavari 3-12x56 is the best low light scope on the market. There's nothing out there as good as it is when it comes to dusk/dawn hunts (minus of course NV and 72mm scopes).

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Scope's - 07/29/11 06:30 PM

Zeiss for me cause that way I only buy one scope that I know is going to last a very, very long time.

Re: Scope's - 07/29/11 06:31 PM

Originally Posted By: dillon_h
Zeiss hands down.
Glass quality is by far more superior. And the bushnell...... garbage

Elite's are decent glass. For a budget hunting rig, 3200 3-9x40 is a bargain for $130. 4200 & 6500 are much better of course.

I would also suggest considering Minox scopes. German made and for the money are great hunting scopes.

Minox Z5 1.5-8x32 for $399 (demo unit):
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66100

Open box Minox Z5 3-15x42 for $399:
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/minox.pl?page=66020

Re: Scope's - 07/29/11 06:33 PM

Originally Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

bs the scope was busted or you didn't know how to adjust it! Almost comical that you would say a varixII is even close rofl

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Scope's - 07/29/11 06:34 PM

popcorn

Posted By: glasshole

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 02:36 AM

Zeiss...

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 03:51 AM

Zeiss

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 04:05 AM

Whichever has the best reticle option.

Whichever is a little cheaper

You wont be able to notice a big difference

Posted By: Hunt Wicked Close TV

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 04:07 AM

Look at HAWKE sport optics.

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 04:33 AM

www.camerlandny.com Zeiss up

Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 04:54 AM

I would choose the Leupold as most my rifles carry them. I do have some Nikon and Burris and all in all have only had problems with Nikon Scopes for clarity as they get older. Never had a Ziess so cant really make comment on them.

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 04:55 AM

I know I will never buy another leupy after having had some die at very bad times. Sure they will replace them but that does you no good on a hunt in the mountians. In my last trip to Montana there were 3 leupy's in camp. 2 of the 3 died. The Nikons in camp had no issues.

I have several different manufactures scopes and have never had an issue with Bushnell Elite series, Ziess, Nikon, Burris, Swaro, or Kahles. Thinking about trying Minox and Vortex for my next purchases.

Posted By: Savage388

Re: Scope's - 07/31/11 08:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ctonsmitty

Today's Nikon is equal to a Bushnell...probably comes from the same China factory.

Zeiss>Leupold>Nikon=Bushnell

Sadly, I have to aggree with this statement. I have a few Nikons from the early 90s they are really good scopes. I bought a ProStaff Nikon a few years back, it was complete crap. The worst money I have ever shelled out for a scope.

Posted By: Wigsplttr

Re: Scope's - 08/02/11 12:58 AM

3x12x50 Black Diamond all u will ever need!!

Re: Scope's - 08/02/11 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Wigsplttr
3x12x50 Black Diamond all u will ever need!!

I got two Euro Diamond's back when they were on clearance. Excellent glass and great price on illuminated reticles. A little minus on build quality but not enough to not make me recommend them.

Burris is replacing these lineups with FourX and SixX so Euro Diamond and Black Diamond can be found cheap:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-3-12x50-black-diamond-30mm-illum-ball-plex-e1-riflescope.html

Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Scope's - 08/02/11 01:31 PM

If I do not agree with you I am a liar thats great!

Posted By: RKHarm24

Re: Scope's - 08/02/11 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

stir

rofl

Posted By: dieselgeek

Re: Scope's - 08/02/11 02:37 PM

I've not seen a VXII, but the glass on the conquest sure is clear for the price.

You could get a OpSwiss! I think some guy has one FS on here. For 1/2 of his bloated MSRP.

I think his slogan was "when you don't want to put a swaro on every rifle"

/sarcasm.

The scopes can be found for less than 1/2 of what he's trying to sell them for, the MSRP is a joke and the scopes look like cheap china trash.

Posted By: cxjcherokec

Re: Scope's - 08/06/11 02:44 AM

I love my vortexs over any scopes I own/ed except for my nighforce. But for your comparison Zeiss

Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 01:22 AM

The Zeiss is expensive for a reason. You're paying for the lens coatings. This will give you extra time early and late. I own Zeiss scopes and I truly love them. If you have "Stupid Money" then get a Schmidt and Bender. The coatings alone are $1,700. Excellent scopes that will blow Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica out of the water. NEVER skimp on your optics. You should, in theory, spend more on your optics than you did on your rifle.

Posted By: rjd

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 01:37 AM

Of the two, Zeiss. If you are open, call Doug at Cameraland. He has an open box special on Minox right now for super prices. They are rated by many as good as or slightly better than the Conquest.

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: cxjcherokec
I love my vortexs over any scopes I own/ed except for my nighforce. But for your comparison Zeiss

love my viper!!! is it as good as my zeiss or swaro av...no but it's damn close and 400 less

Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 01:47 AM

popcorn

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 02:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Pinky3169
If you have "Stupid Money" then get a Schmidt and Bender. The coatings alone are $1,700. Excellent scopes that will blow Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica out of the water.

Opinions, opinions. Here is mine:

Zeiss Victory/Hensoldt > anything else, including S&B.

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 02:16 AM

Originally Posted By: rjd
Of the two, Zeiss. If you are open, call Doug at Cameraland. He has an open box special on Minox right now for super prices. They are rated by many as good as or slightly better than the Conquest.

Hard to argue with that. For the OP it should almost be a no-brainer to pick one of these for the prices he is offering.

Quote:
You can call in to place an order at these prices, you can paypal a payment to us (our paypal name is gr8fuldoug@aol.com ) or order thru our web site and mention "Minox 1 Week Sale" and we'll refund the difference between the open box price on our site and these prices.

Quote:
ZA-3 3-9x40 Plex Perhaps the ideal general purpose Riflescope only $249.99

ZA-3 3-9x40 #4 Perhaps the ideal general purpose Riflescope only $269.99

ZA-3 3-9x50 Plex The all purpose scope for low light situations only $339.99

ZA-3 3-9x50 BDC The all purpose scope for low light situations only $369.99

ZA-5 1.5-8x32 Plex Versatile, compact and lightweight – perfect for shotgun, lightweight rifle, or dangerous game only $329.99

ZA-5 2-10x40 Plex or #4, your choice The scope that is equally at home from woodlots to mountain tops only $329.99

ZA-5 3-15x42 Plex Great scope for open spaces and longer ranges only $329.99

ZA-5 4-20x50 BDC or ZA-5 4-20x50 SF XR-BDC Side Focus Parallax Adjustment for accurate shot place and extended ranges, your choice of reticle @ only $489.99

ZA-5 6-30x56 SF-BDC High magnification, large, objective and Side Focus Parallax Adjustment for extreme range shooting only $549.99

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 02:24 AM

popcorn

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 12:53 PM

That 3-15 or 2-10 minox sure is tempting...hell of a deal.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law

^
This! I have shot several different zeis 3x9-40's, all low light hog hunting the evening/night right along side leopold 3x9-40's and honestly couldnt tell or pick which one was better. I have leopolds, but dont see a clear winner. I do like the heavy duplex on the zeiss better, but have seen no info to convince me it is any brighter clearer or a better scope.

matt

Posted By: kmon11

Re: Scope's - 08/11/11 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
That 3-15 or 2-10 minox sure is tempting...hell of a deal.

Bobo, I will let you know what I think of that one. I ordered one yesterday

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum