Texas Hunting Forum

Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas

Posted By: drivingonempty79

Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 04:13 PM

Does anyone know how the hunting is just south of somerset? I have hunted the southern part of atascosa and it was pretty decent. So, if anyone can give me any insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Posted By: redchevy

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 04:22 PM

Depends on the property and neighbors, what they shoot and what you shoot and what you have to work with. Good hunting can be had nearly anywhere in teh state, just gotta have the right conditions.

matt

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 04:31 PM

southern atascosa is south texas....somerset is the post oak belt....all sand and blackjack oaks.

hunting can be okay, but the habitat isn't what you'd call great, plus most tracts are small and its close to town.

you'll just have to find out for yourself, there are alot of turkeys and hogs in the area though

Posted By: Aboud

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 05:08 PM

I just got off a place just south of somerset. 500 acres. With five hunters and feeders running all year we did not kill a single deer. It was a perfect looking place but the hunting sucked. No bucks seen at all and the only does were seen on trail cameras. With five cameras throughout property we seen 5 does all year. If the lady name is ann pm me. Beware!! Pigs come and go and no turkey seen. The area in general is horrible. We would hear shots all night and day. Guessing target shooting. Everything has to be chained or it would be stolen. Lots of bad people in that area. We routinely would have to run people off. Night or day..

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 05:36 PM

Thanks for the info fellas. Sounds like Aboud found out for me the hard way.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 05:42 PM

so its the same place?

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 05:43 PM

yessir... I haven't looked at any places yet. I am using leasehunter and deertexas and then checking back on THF to make sure everything is good and then I'll go take a look.

Posted By: Ron H

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 06:42 PM

My son-in-law hunts an hour south in McMullen county and he was still seeing deer last weekend. He tagged out on bucks and got one or two doe as well.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 06:46 PM

i'd love to hunt mcmullen but either it's not being leased or it's to expensive.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 08:02 PM

I know some people that hunt between Lytle and Divine. Its about 200 ac low fence. Its not bad for them. The dont shoot huge deer, but see decent numbers of deer and kill a a couple bucks in the 110 to 120 range, but what do you expect for a small lowfence un managed place?

I say it depends on the property, brush what is around it and soforth. If it is a costal field it probably wont be good. If it is a big enough tract of brush with farm land surrounding it and a creek sounds like a diamond in the rough to me!

When we were looking for our place people told us to stay out of Duval Co. it just has a bad rep. We found a good place there for the right $$$ and have been very happy! Not all places are the same, go look at it or you will never know, it is fun to get out and look at other places any way. JMHO.

matt

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 08:03 PM

Yes I did find out the hard way. When I drove the place it seemed to have potential but boy was I wrong. Besides all that I only seen one other hunter in town all year and no stores sell deer corn. That says it all. I'm glad I could help your decision as I don't wish that place on anyone. The lady is a flat out crook and when I faced her about the lack of deer she said well what can I do to bring in more deer. I stated that if it was my place I wouldn't hunt it for a couple of years to let them breed, she said no way hunters will always pay deer or no deer. Best of luck to ya

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 08:42 PM

What part of Duval are you in? I have heard bad things about certain parts of Duval county.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 08:47 PM

So have I

Dont believe everything people tell you there is good and bad every where.

In southern end of Duval

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 08:50 PM

I have heard bad things about

Kendal
Comal
Duval
Bexar
Guadalupe

countes... yet I have had good luck in all of them. Just because you have a lease in McMullen county doesnt mean it will be good hunting, depends on the property individualy and what is around it and who hunts it and around it.

matt

Posted By: rifleman

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 08:55 PM

I feed on one place NW of there in Medina Co. Deer numbers aren't the greatest in the world b/c from my observation folks really don't seem to be that picky about what they shoot and run day hunts for deer & dove out the wa-zoo.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 09:13 PM

It all comes down to how that particular area is hunted.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 09:16 PM

I agree with that and would have reason to believe that the best hunting around that area would be slightly SW of the place I've got permission to be on.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 09:28 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
When we were looking for our place people told us to stay out of Duval Co. it just has a bad rep. We found a good place there for the right $$$ and have been very happy! Not all places are the same, go look at it or you will never know, it is fun to get out and look at other places any way. JMHO.

matt

Duval has a bad rep because of small tract sizes and it can be hard to get water down there.

san diego, conception, just about anywhere east of 16 on 59....isn't the best land. closer towards hebbronville and west of 16 is alot better.

who did ya'll buy it from?

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/01/11 09:39 PM

We boutght it from a local. Yeah we have heard about the small tracts, bad lease hunting, poaching, and bad soil.

We have great soil and brush. No oil production, and we are the smallest tract for a ways. It may not be perfect but simply writing off a county becasue people say something negative about it isnt the best logic.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/02/11 01:47 AM

Y'all are right about counting out a county because of one mans experience. I got on the lease in somerset because of previous trip to north lytle. Man what a difference 10 miles can make. I feel real sorry for her next victims.

Posted By: stephenk

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:03 AM

I am the landowner's son, and if you have any questions about the lease, you can email me at skiraly@gmail.com. Aboud is way out of bounds with his malicious, false comments on various forum threads. Also, he and his buddies shot up the place on the last day of his lease. He did not provide identification (as required by Texas law) for all of his hunters, and he did not turn in the game log (as required by Texas law) at the end of the season. That is why the new listing requests "experienced, responsible hunters only". We never had any complaints from anyone who previously leased the property. I'm not sure what Aboud's problem is, but be advised before leasing to him.

Posted By: BMD

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:12 AM

popcorn

Posted By: prohunter2011

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:17 AM

game log is no longer required unless i dont know any better.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:22 AM

OK, well, we were requiring it, because we always get people asking us how many were killed, and we need the info. He was asked to fill it out, provided with the forms from TPWD, and did not turn them in.

Also note his other posts about the place, like this one:
==========================================================
"#1273988 - 02/28/10 01:27 PM Re: Hunting in somerset,tx [Re: txtrophy85]
Aboud Offline
Outdoorsman

I agree 100 percent. Not all ranches are equal in south Texas. Not expecting the world from this place just wanted to get a feel for the area. Sat evening I was able to hunt this place and seen no deer but got a 200 plus boar with my 357. It took 12 rounds only 4 hit. I know I need practice but in the dark by urself it's easy to miss. It was a blast and my heart has never beat so hard."
=========================================================

It is no wonder he ran off all the deer before the season started.

-Steve

Posted By: Rhodes 520

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:26 AM

Aboud, stephenk,
Are the two of ya'll talking about the same place ? One guy says they saw nothing all year while the other guy says they shot up the place. May not be the same place. Just saying

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:29 AM

If he didnt shoot or see any deer all year he wouldnt have any info to turn in to yall anyway.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 03:45 AM

The moral of this story is if you get on a lease and say you don't expect too much from it right at the beginning then you shouldn't be surprised if you were right in the first place.

Accept the fact that you made a mistake in getting on it and move on.

When you get on a deer lease you are paying for the right to hunt that property and there are no gaurantee on harvesting game, since you are only paying for the right to hunt.

If you want a gaurantee kill then you can plop your money down on one of those hunts where they do gaurantee a kill and where you pay a trophy fee besides the fee to hunt.

If you do get on a lease have the landowner sign a contract saying you will see x number of deer and other game or you get your money back. Chances are pretty good you won't find such a place.

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 06:14 AM

This could get interesting

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 02:01 PM

Shooting a bunch at a pig isn't going to cause the deer to leave for the entire season. It wouldn't cause them to leave for an entire weekend. How exactly do you expect people to shoot-in or sight their guns in?

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 08:49 PM

Shooting can definately have an effect on the deer, especialy if you hunt smaller acreages in areas with alot of hunting pressure.

Go to a gun range to sight in your rifle.

Posted By: cameron00

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 09:23 PM

There is no amount of shooting you could do in 1 day to cause the deer to leave for an entire season.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/22/11 09:37 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
How exactly do you expect people to shoot-in or sight their guns in?

do that at the house. up

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/23/11 02:56 AM

yea dont shoot on your lease or your deer herd will pack up and leave bs

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/23/11 02:51 PM

Yes steven i did shoot a hog but that was way before season and by no means the reason we didnt see any deer. And as to say we shot the place up the last day of season, i was not even there and the two guys that were didnt even see a darn thing. The shooting you heard was alan yalls ranch foreman shooting at pigs from what i was told. Im sure your just upset and defending your mother and i dont blame you but if youd like i can direct the leases before me to this site so they can shed more light to the story. Also if your mothers place was a legit place why did leasehunter.com remove your post from there free site. Ill tell you why because they did there research on the place and talked to 3 years of previous leasees and made the decision to remove it. I in no way am trying to bash ann but trying to share the word that yall have no deer and a crazy "ranch Manager".

Posted By: TXW

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/23/11 02:59 PM

popcorn

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/23/11 03:04 PM

Thats too funny he claims my shooting a pig on feb 28, 2010 scared all the deer off. Ya folk email steven for a "fair" and "honest" opinion of his mommas place. Steven you and ann were very nice folks but in no way painted a true representation of what to expect. I was told two eight points were taken in 09' and that was false. Anyways ive moved on and will prolly not be leasing a place this year because of the bad taste yall left in my mouth. thanks

Posted By: Bobby_G

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/23/11 06:31 PM

Why, in the back of my mind, do I hear Michael Buffer clearing his throat....

Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/24/11 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: stephenk
OK, well, we were requiring it, because we always get people asking us how many were killed, and we need the info. He was asked to fill it out, provided with the forms from TPWD, and did not turn them in.

-Steve

How can someone fill out a harvestlog if they don't kill a deer?

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/24/11 03:35 AM

thats what i said how do you fill out anything when you dont see or kill anything,Oh i know fill it out to say all we killed was our time all year. rofl

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/24/11 03:39 AM

You can't. Thats what's funny he's using that as reason why I'm the bad guy. And no we were not supplied with harvest logs but were asked to bring any deer killed to ur mommas house and guess what none were. Jimbo is right we got what we paid for which was a hunting lease not killing lease. My goal was to long term lease and help grow good deer with patience but not 1" of horn even seenbetween 5 guys leaves no sense of potential.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 02/24/11 03:43 AM

THIS IS TRUE loco

Posted By: HardWired

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/23/11 04:41 PM

I'll bring this back...

Just stumbled upon it

This place is still listed for lease. Thanks Aboud! We were going to view tomorrow.

Posted By: Doubledroptine

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 02:31 AM

I have 200 acres in concepcion and it's a great place to hunt. Every year I get my three bucks between 140" to 170" low fence. And I see plenty of bucks and does. Duval has a bad rep but some places have good deer.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 02:32 AM

Another thing Duval has a hog problem!!

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Doubledroptine
I have 200 acres in concepcion and it's a great place to hunt. Every year I get my three bucks between 140" to 170" low fence. And I see plenty of bucks and does. Duval has a bad rep but some places have good deer.

pics?

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85

pics?

X2

And what are your neighbors like, cause we got more than 200 acres and dont shoot deer like that yet... or expect to shoot 3/year ever!

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 05:00 PM

As soon as I get to my comp I will post pics. And with the neighbors, that's where all the big deer come from. It's a little over 10000 acres and low fence and they manage pretty good and they only bow hunt. We have our regular bucks that stick around and during the rut more big boys tend to come by.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 05:28 PM

Prepare to get fenced!... especialy if any of them frequent this forum

Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Prepare to get fenced!... especialy if any of them frequent this forum

Yep I can hear the auger diggin holes right now.......

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 05:42 PM

The land owners don't like high fences. So we don't have to worry with that. We also talk with the land owners and let them know what we kill. We go by their management program nothing younger than 5.5 years.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 05:46 PM

At redchevy where do you hunt in duval?

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 09:20 PM

The land owners don't like high fences. So we don't have to worry with that. We also talk with the land owners and let them know what we kill. We go by their management program nothing younger than 5.5 years.

They bowhunt so do ya'll rifle hunt? I'm thinking when they hear those rifle shots in your direction they get a little heartburn.

They may not like high fences, but I wouldn't count out a short fence in a key area.

Just sayin, and you might want to consider going to bow only also to keep from that happening.

What they say and what they do are two different things.

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/24/11 10:29 PM

They know we rifle hunt. I grew up with their son and my family and their family are really good friends. Like I said once I don't have to worry about a high fence ever going up.

Posted By: stang02

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/26/11 02:41 AM

i have a small piece of property and surrounding low fence. i see does just about every day i'm there. plenty of hog as well. herds of turkey. and the nearest pond is some 180 acres away on someone elses property. this buck showed up on my camera several times for over 2 months but i never got a shot off. a nice 12 pointer. this shows his spread. near bigfoot and divine

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/27/11 03:17 PM

He showed up several times on cam and thats the best pic you have of him?

Posted By: stang02

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 05/27/11 10:37 PM

these last 2 are at the back of my propety. my brothers area

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 08/25/11 04:22 AM

Yeah we were talking about the same place. I met this guy and his wife, and he seemed like an honorable man. Aboud owns a quarry near Round Rock. He apparently is a very inexperienced hunter, and if he wants deer hunting to be easy, it just won't be in South Texas if you don't know what you're doing. Especially in a year (last year) where there was so much water when the acorns were growing, that we had a bumper crop and so the deer were nocturnal. They had plenty to eat. The did not touch the corn at the feeders as much as in a normal year, or a year with no acorns. Also the feeders have to be protected from hogs by installing buried cattle panel so that the hogs don't get to the corn. When the corn builds up, a doe will eventually discover it and visit it every day. The bucks will eventually follow, but the older bucks are of course more wary of corn, because they associate it loud sounds that hurt their ears. You have to find the ruts, and protect the feeders from hogs, and you have to start your feeders months before deer season and don't let them go dry for long or you'll lose the animal traffic that you want. You can attract turkey with milo mixed in, but in this country, turkeys are especially hard to hunt. In central texas and my grandparent's ranch, there are many times more deer per acre, but they are starving and about half the size that you'll find south of San Antonio. Hunting is easy there, but not as rewarding. Hunting wasn't never easy for people with low technology or inexperience, so choose your own experience. Aboud had the time of his life on this lease, (note his post referenced in this thread) and he has only himself to blame for his folly. He will learn to quit blaming others and take responsibility for his actions. We could file a claim for libel, but we'd rather just not see him ever again. We have new (so far, they seem to be more responsible) hunters, and if they abide by the lease contract, then they will be allowed back on next year.

-Steve

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 08/25/11 05:15 AM

Originally Posted By: prohunter2011
thats what i said how do you fill out anything when you dont see or kill anything,Oh i know fill it out to say all we killed was our time all year. rofl

He killed hogs and who knows what else. He turned in no game log, as was required on the lease he signed. He and his friends got no deer (supposedly none) because he is an inexperienced hunter, and was hunting in an area where the deer are clever, and were nocturnal last year due to the bumper acorn crop. He got at least one hog according to his own admission in this thread:
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2139962/1

Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 08/25/11 05:34 AM

More to this story I bet.
Libel? For giving his opinion?
Wow.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 08/25/11 02:32 PM

Not trying to be a smart... but libel? That's quite a stretch.Good luck with that.

Posted By: viejopass

Re: Atascosa CO-somerset, Texas - 08/25/11 05:05 PM

I feel sorry for new hunters. People that talk about filing lawsuits usually get in other confrontations.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum