Texas Hunting Forum

A Lot of Shifts!

Posted By: Slow Drifter

A Lot of Shifts! - 04/01/21 09:44 PM

My buddy bought a 2017 K1500 with what sounds like a 10-speed transmission. It's got about 36K on it. That thing shifts gears a LOT!! Is that normal? We went on a fishing trip a while back and that thing was constantly shifting at every little change in grade. I was outside the office this morning on break when he came rolling in. His truck shifted gears several times just in the parking lot. Are the gears so close together that it's just always gonna' do that or is something wrong? My newest truck is a 2004 manual, so I have no experience with such a truck. It has a nice ride and plenty of power, but all that shifting would drive me crazy driving it.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: A Lot of Shifts! - 04/02/21 01:34 AM

I don’t know about the Chevy my Ford 10 speed doesn’t shift excessively. Under normal driving conditions it skips gears. Maybe 5-6 shift to 10th gear. When under load it uses those gears though.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: A Lot of Shifts! - 04/02/21 12:04 PM

Yep. The idea is to always been in the right RPM for best fuel economy
Posted By: redchevy

Re: A Lot of Shifts! - 04/03/21 12:33 AM

I haven’t spent a lot of time in one but have driven the Ford and gm version and liked them both. Seems to me the gm is more seamless smoother shifting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum