Texas Hunting Forum

Polaris 800 Over heating

Posted By: Riverrat33

Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/21/20 09:05 PM

Any recommendations on where to take my polaris 800 that keeps over heating fan won’t come on unless it is over heating. I am on the west side of Fort Worth. Thanks for any info.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/22/20 03:27 AM

I’d bet the fan circuit breaker has gone bad.
Under the hood drivers side small rectangle 2 posts, I think 20a.
Decent parts store can match up ( Napa) no reason to spend dealer money.

Locate, remove, take with you to parts store.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/22/20 05:14 PM

Temp sensor in radiator is bad
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/22/20 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bbcat78
Temp sensor in radiator is bad

That's what they found on my Gator. I have three. Fuses free to a good home.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cast

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/22/20 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Riverrat33
Any recommendations on where to take my polaris 800 that keeps over heating fan won’t come on unless it is over heating. I am on the west side of Fort Worth. Thanks for any info.

Confused about fan. My Gator fan cycles after it warms up. Does your fan run at all?

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 02:43 AM

Rustler, Thank you for the suggest I did Change it out l. Still not working 🤷‍♂️

Bbcat78, Thank you I will look into the sensor

Cast, The only time it will run is when the temp light comes on.

I might have more than one problem. I did direct wire the fan to the battery so it runs constantly. Even with the fan running it still wants to over heat and go into limp mode.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 05:46 PM

There's a guy out in Rowlett named Todd Kirby who runs a shop out of a building on his property, been there for years. Very highly recommended and very well regarded in the Polaris community. It'd be well worth your time to make the drive to see him. 972.896.1002 I've taken 3 bikes to him over the years, and he's always done me right.
Posted By: don k

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 06:02 PM

Sounds like a radiator or water pump problem. Are your cooling fins on your radiator clean? If you take off your radiator cap is the water circulating?
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
There's a guy out in Rowlett named Todd Kirby who runs a shop out of a building on his property, been there for years. Very highly recommended and very well regarded in the Polaris community. It'd be well worth your time to make the drive to see him. 972.896.1002 I've taken 3 bikes to him over the years, and he's always done me right.

This. X2.

If the radiator fins are plugged / blocked nothing will work until it is cleaned thoroughly.

If an 800 over heats just a couple times it usually wrecks the water pump, I have seen one or two thermostats stuck closed but they heat up fast, like 60 to over heat in 2 - 3 minutes.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 06:31 PM

My Gator has a weed block screen in front of the radiator.

Let’s break this down.

Fan runs
Next verify air flow
Verify coolant level
Verify coolant flow
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 07:14 PM

What engine does your polaris have? Subaru/Robin?
Posted By: glocker17

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/23/20 10:11 PM

Newer ones are ProStar
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/24/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rustler
I’d bet the fan circuit breaker has gone bad.
Under the hood drivers side small rectangle 2 posts, I think 20a.
Decent parts store can match up ( Napa) no reason to spend dealer money.

Locate, remove, take with you to parts store.

^^^ this. Buddy had the same problem. Fortunately the dealership told him what to do. Easy fix.

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/24/20 11:57 PM

Well after contact the gentleman I bought it from. He told me to take it to the dealership and he would pay for it to get fixed. I will keep y’all posted on the out come. Thank you for all the info.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Polaris 800 Over heating - 11/25/20 04:16 PM

It's good that previous owner is going to fix it.

One thing I have found on Polaris stuff is they usually have a air purge plug at the high point of cooling plumbing.
Locate that plug, remove it and fill radiator.
As radiator gets full, the air will purge from system thru the plug and water/antifreeze will eventually come out, then you put plug back in and finish filling radiator.
Fill the overflow tank to upper line.
After you heat cycle the engine a few times, you may have to refill the overflow tank to upper line.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum