Texas Hunting Forum

Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative

Posted By: CB09

Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 11/10/20 09:24 PM

We were running these with fantastic luck and noticed they are out of business. Anyone have a tire comparable to them that they are using? We are looking for more of the radial tire and are in Val Verde county so don't need the aggressive tear up the road mud tire.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 11/11/20 02:22 AM

https://www.titan-intl.com/tires/atv-utv

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 11/11/20 11:50 AM

Those look like them but only 1 size option...
Posted By: PMK

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/06/21 03:40 PM

tagging on here ... I've been running the Essex Surefoot 25x10-12 on my Kubota RTV for about 12 years (on 2 different RTVs) and they have been a rock solid performer. I ruined one by ripping one of the lugs at the base where it attaches to the main body to where I now have a 2-3 inch crack and it is not repairable ... so I am looking for a good replacement heavy duty mud tire. Any recommendations for something that has 1000+ lb load capacity in that size?
Posted By: tlk

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/06/21 04:30 PM

heard the GPS Spartan run flats are good? I have never tried them - like yall I am all essex but they are gone
they are 12 ply and 1250 payload

https://www.gpsoffroadproducts.com/shop/spartan-run-flat-utv-tire/
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/07/21 02:27 PM

Been happy with the tusk terrabites.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tusk-terrabite%C2%AE-radial-tire-p

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/07/21 07:18 PM

thanks tlk ... I actually found an Essex Surefoot 25x10-12 for $242

thanks huntinggag, I checked out the link but would need a considerably more aggressive thread ... but Tusk does offer on but I can't seem to find load ratings on it. But in searching thru that same website, I found an ITP Mud Lite II in that size and specs show it to have 1100 lbs rated load at 28 psi, 6 ply, just not quite as deep a thread depth as the Surefoot, BUT it is only $82 per tire which might be worth taking a chance on buying a pair.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/itp-mud-lite-ii-tire-p?v=13064

any of ya'll have any experience with the ITP brand?
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/07/21 08:12 PM

I run ITPs and they've been very durable. They're too rough though because mine are major mud tires. Will probably replace them shortly for something smoother on the road.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/07/21 08:41 PM

Gumbeaux, what are you running them on? what vehicle?

the Essex Surefoot are pretty rough on pavement/hard pack when going slow, but don't really notice it once you get a little speed up.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/07/21 09:39 PM

Mule Pro-FXT

They're the ITP Blackwater Evolution.

Yes, it smooths out when you get some speed up. I call it "getting on plane". But they'll rattle your fillings loose until you get it on step.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/07/21 09:45 PM

I see you're in Georgetown. Let me know if you want to take a look at them for future reference. They're great on the dirt, we just ride the neighborhood some and they're rough. And my lease doesn't have anything that a decent A/T truck tire can't get through.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/08/21 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by huntingag01
Been happy with the tusk terrabites.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/tusk-terrabite%C2%AE-radial-tire-p

I just did these but haven’t got to ride yet

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/08/21 11:03 PM

We needed up going with the GBC KANATI MONGREL RADIAL TIRE and so far so good.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/09/21 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by PMK

thanks huntinggag, I checked out the link but would need a considerably more aggressive thread ... but Tusk does offer on but I can't seem to find load ratings on it. But in searching thru that same website, I found an ITP Mud Lite II in that size and specs show it to have 1100 lbs rated load at 28 psi, 6 ply, just not quite as deep a thread depth as the Surefoot, BUT it is only $82 per tire which might be worth taking a chance on buying a pair.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/tires-and-wheels/itp-mud-lite-ii-tire-p?v=13064

where you find the essex?
Posted By: Blank

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/09/21 03:46 PM

I think you will be very happy with those Kanati Mongrels. I replaced a set of Bighorns on my Kawasaki Teryx with the Kanati 26x10-12 and absolutely love them Needed a DOT tire to be legal, as we run all over in Arizona on the highways when we are down there. The Mongrels have awesome traction in the sand and rocks, and up here in Idaho during hunting season they have been outstanding in dirt and mud also.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/11/21 12:44 AM

Mongrels were my second choice to the Terrabyte Aramids I got. I like the profile a little better

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/11/21 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by PMK

ATV Tires dot Com
https://www.atvtires.com/product734.html
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/11/21 01:58 PM

[Linked Image]

This be aggressive enough???

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/11/21 02:05 PM

thanks guys! I looked at the Terrabite and the Mongrels, but needs something considerably more aggressive for the mud in several locations. Finding a suitable replacement for the Essex has been a challenge to get that heavy duty, load carrying and quality of tire for my needs. I am digging into the ITP Mud Lite II (Rocky Mountain), ARISUN THUNDER MT (Discount Tire but load index might be too low) and Titan 589 HD ... bang

I thought about just ordering one of the Essex as a replacement, but with the other 3 being 12 years old, one of those could have the same issues as the current one, I fully expect the majority of the reason this one tore is UV dry rot as there are cracks around the sidewall.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/11/21 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Walkabout
[Linked Image]

This be aggressive enough???

yeah, maybe a bit too much, but what the heck ... what are those? I might have to wear a mouth guard at slower speeds with those ... roflmao

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/11/21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
thanks guys! I looked at the Terrabite and the Mongrels, but needs something considerably more aggressive for the mud in several locations. Finding a suitable replacement for the Essex has been a challenge to get that heavy duty, load carrying and quality of tire for my needs. I am digging into the ITP Mud Lite II (Rocky Mountain), ARISUN THUNDER MT (Discount Tire but load index might be too low) and Titan 589 HD ... bang

I thought about just ordering one of the Essex as a replacement, but with the other 3 being 12 years old, one of those could have the same issues as the current one, I fully expect the majority of the reason this one tore is UV dry rot as there are cracks around the sidewall.

are all of those tires mentioned run flats? Kevlar?

I am in south texas - my essex are wearing out too so looking also - I run mostly on dirt roads that are flat - my issue is thorns and staubs puncturing them plus our mud gets rough when it rains so need something fairly aggressive -

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/12/21 02:43 AM

The terrabyte aramids and Mongrels are 10 ply,

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/12/21 02:58 PM

are all of those tires mentioned run flats? Kevlar?

no, those are not true run flat ... I have only found a few that are true run flat but not really any that I have found with the deep lug course mud pattern, more of an all terrain that I might end up having to lean towards.

true run flat in 25x10-12 for stock size replacement for a Kubota RTV ...

The RP Spartan https://www.amazon.com/RP-Spartan-12-PLY-Run-Flat-25x8x12/dp/B07G7KYCG6?th=1

K9 Heeler https://www.yournexttire.com/new-tire-25-10-00-12-k9-heeler-run-flat-12-ply-atv-25x10-12/

DWT Moapa Run Flat but every place seems to be out of stock ... non-run flat available at Discount Tire (at least in my area)

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/14/21 11:27 PM

well I bit the bullet today and ordered the 2 of K9 Heeler run flat ... they should be here in a couple of weeks and I will get them installed ... review to follow.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/18/21 11:23 PM

where did you find the essex? thanks

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/19/21 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by PMK

ATV Tires dot Com

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/19/21 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by PMK

Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by PMK

ATV Tires dot Com

wow a thousand bucks for 4 tires - yikes!

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/19/21 11:51 PM

here is why I loved the run flats - had them on my Kubota for 5 years - rough rough country - never an issue. This past weekend was our last hunt and I was 7 miles from camp - my tires were worn out and I knew it - got out of my stand and when I get to my buggy I see a tire without air - so I go "ok lets see how the run flats really work" - drove the 7 miles and literally as I pull into camp the tire falls off of the rim! - thank you Lord! -

Sure wish I could find some more in the size I need

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/20/21 07:49 PM

I ordered the K9 Heeler, 25x10-12 Run Flat 12 ply off eBay last Thursday, they arrived today. I will get them installed hopefully tomorrow and then take to my lease to install on my RTV this weekend to test them out. $403 for 2 tires, that was cost plus tax and included free shipping.

[Linked Image]

not as aggressive as the Essex Surefoot but I think this tread will work most of the time unless deep mud. I will install on the rear and leave the 2 Essex on the front ... and the one good Essex I will mount to have a decent spare.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/20/21 07:51 PM

I ordered 4 of the GPS spartan run flats - reviews were good and were $200 each

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/21/21 07:52 PM

where did you find the GPS Spartan in stock? Every place I looked they were sold out or on back order. By looking at the pictures, the Spartan and the K9 look like they could be from the same mold by the thread pattern. I dropped mine off at Discount to be mounted yesterday a little after 5 and said I would be back this afternoon to pick them up, I got a text at 5:58 that they were ready to go. I'll pick up later today when I get a little time.

Re: Essex Surefoot T Hawk UTV tire alternative - 01/21/21 10:01 PM

GPS offroad products - link above - says online not in stock but they are
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum