Texas Hunting Forum

UTV Tire advice

Posted By: WatersFowler

UTV Tire advice - 08/11/20 10:40 PM

I'm sure I'll get some advice about buying new tires that are better for the terrain, and I will.....eventually! lol

What I'm looking for is advice on what tire sealant (slime, fix-a-flat, etc) is best for UTV use in and around mesquite trees. I just bought a new Gator and they have the 4 ply tires and I don't really want to spend the extra money on the more expensive tires right now.

Any input would be appreciated, except for the advice to buy better tires....lol!
Posted By: ccrock

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/11/20 11:14 PM

Buy some slime at least a gallon and a plug kit. Don’t put slime in until you get your first leak. Air the tires down and it reduces punctures as well. This is what I do and has served me well.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/11/20 11:17 PM

Yep!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/11/20 11:49 PM

I've had this stuff on my Amazon list for a while, recommended by someone on here. 'Haven't bought it yet, but I believe it's the best.

>Gempler's Ultraseal Extreme Heavy-Duty Grade Tire Sealant,<

I'm still trying to get better tires. Essex seems to be unavailable.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/12/20 01:55 AM

I use the regular slime.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/12/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I've had this stuff on my Amazon list for a while, recommended by someone on here. 'Haven't bought it yet, but I believe it's the best.

I use ultra bulletproof in utv and commercial in my truck and trailers
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/12/20 12:33 PM

I'm a huge fan on Tire Ject. Seems to work just as well as Slime (never had an issue with either) but doensn't have the balancing problems and isn't nearly as nasty.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/12/20 12:34 PM

Regular old green slime has served me well.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/12/20 01:15 PM

Regular old green slime from Wallyworld at 25 bux a gallon.
Air up so you have pressure to seal the hole and get home, airing down only stresses the sidewalls more and makes them more vulnerable to thorns and leaks don't seal as well.
Airing up makes a slightly rougher ride but can get you home and save a sidewall puncture which is extremely hard to keep sealed with slime.

All sealant will get out of balance is when it dries out - you can fix this in slime by adding a cup of non-diluted green antifreeze when it starts to dry out - use the slime pump to pump it into tire.

Also look at the load rating printed on the sidewalls of tires - most ATVs/UTVs come with terribly underrated tires that barely hold up the empty vehicle weight safely.
Posted By: Shortya

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/12/20 04:34 PM

TireJect has been great for me so far..... Super easy to use.
Posted By: PMK

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/17/20 07:01 PM

The best I have ever used is Texas Refinery Corp Products TIRESEAL but I have no idea where to purchase in less than a 6 gallon bucket with pump. We used this on multiple tractors running shredders thru mesquites and this stuff was purely amazing. I still remember puncturing a front tire sidewall with a mesquite stump, I took off the wheel to put a patch but found there were about 150 punctures in the tube that were sealed up and those same 150 mesquite thorns were still in the tire ... we replaced both tire & tube.
Posted By: HLo

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/18/20 03:14 AM

Used Berrymans and Green Slime.....both have worked fine. It is my understanding that the green slime breaks down a little quicker so need to re-apply every once in a while. I am new to the Berrymans but so far so good.
Posted By: tlk

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/18/20 10:58 AM

Word is they are bankrupt. I hope not. Have used them for years
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/18/20 12:04 PM

I have used Multi Seal tire sealant for a very long time now in UTV tires. I buy it in the gallon size but is available in the 5 gallon size. It is sold in 3 different grades for various types of applications. It may not the cheapest but it is the best I have used over the last 35+ yrs.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/18/20 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ccrock
Air the tires down and it reduces punctures as well.

Are you sure about this? I would think more pressure creates stouter sidewalls and therefore, less punctures. In addition, more pressure equates to a smaller tire footprint and hence, less thorns you come up against.

Yes, I do realize more pressure means a harsher ride.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/18/20 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

Are you sure about this? I would think more pressure creates stouter sidewalls and therefore, less punctures. In addition, more pressure equates to a smaller tire footprint and hence, less thorns you come up against.

I’m sure about it. Less air=Less flats.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: UTV Tire advice - 08/18/20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by scalebuster
Originally Posted by Hudbone

I’m sure about it. Less air=Less flats.

Yup. Ever tried to pop a deflated balloon vs. a really tight filled balloon? Which one is easier to poke?
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: UTV Tire advice - 09/03/20 02:01 AM

“Air the tires down....”??

Sounds like Beverly Hillbilly’s logic.
Posted By: glocker17

Re: UTV Tire advice - 10/21/20 07:54 PM

I tend to keep mine aired up to protect my sidewalls. About a quart of slime in 8ply tires and i have been flat free since removing the old 4 ply ones.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: UTV Tire advice - 10/21/20 08:50 PM

Just ain't buying it. I run slime filled bias ply 16 7.50's, air the crap out of them, drive anywhere, over anything and never have been stranded - never. Less pressure means a larger footprint and thus more exposure. Everything bad benefits from more exposure.
Posted By: Sewer rat

Re: UTV Tire advice - 12/07/20 07:10 AM

They aren’t cheap but I have three UTVs with the Michelin Tweels. Each of them has over a thousand hours on it and we are pleased with them. Before we used them we ran the Spartan military grade flat proof tires. They are good too but I like the tweels better.

Re: UTV Tire advice - 12/13/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat
They aren’t cheap but I have three UTVs with the Michelin Tweels. Each of them has over a thousand hours on it and we are pleased with them. Before we used them we ran the Spartan military grade flat proof tires. They are good too but I like the tweels better.

I wish they made them in 28”
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: UTV Tire advice - 12/13/20 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sewer rat

Those look pretty cool

Re: UTV Tire advice - 12/17/20 02:41 PM

As a testament to ultra seal, I put a 1” by 7” piece of grease wood through upper rear side wall, technically it was plug and not losing air. I pulled branch out, put three tire plugs in, trimmed them and have since gone 100+ miles.

I thought for sure I was in for a new tire, and was going to have stop hunting for a day.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: UTV Tire advice - 12/17/20 06:36 PM

Another vote for Ultra Seal. I get it at the Kubota place and I think it was like $17 a bottle (it's been a couple of years). I think I used 1 or 1.5 bottles per tire.
Posted By: bholt

Re: UTV Tire advice - 01/09/21 10:15 PM

Don't know the name but slime is good there is a gooder brand. I would call a UTV dealer and ask them what they use.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum