Texas Hunting Forum

Before I look stupid at the tax office ?

Posted By: texdexters

Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/07/20 06:09 PM

I bought a trailer from academy last fall finally getting around to doing something with it . I have the temporary tag and buyers tag receipt. I managed to lose the actual receipt, so besides getting academy to get me a copy what else do I need to get a title ? When I bought my utility trailer , all the paperwork was done in house and came with a manufacturer statement of origin but that was years ago . I feel like I’m missing a bunch of paperwork .

Attached picture AAD7DA85-26DC-4D8B-A692-8B538D792F40.jpeg
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/07/20 06:18 PM

Take $25 a month for every month it was not registered.
Posted By: don k

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/07/20 08:44 PM

Easiest way is ask them.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/08/20 02:35 AM

you trying to get tags for it ? Just tell em its a home built trailer with an axle rating that it has and your good. Will ask you what color it is now.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/09/20 11:22 PM

What county?

There’s a way around the monthly charge and I’ll tell you what you need to register it thru a PM

Just PM me.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/10/20 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob
you trying to get tags for it ? Just tell em its a home built trailer with an axle rating that it has and your good. Will ask you what color it is now.

X2
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/10/20 08:24 AM

This should help you. I got it straight from the DVM in Austin. When I bought my trailer.

Thank you for contacting us.  It is my pleasure to assist you today.

Title Requirements for Trailers:

Title is required if the trailer is over 4,000 pounds gross weight or was previously titled Title is optional if the trailer is 4,000 pounds gross weight or less

Registration Requirements for Trailers:

Registration is required for trailers, regardless of their gross weight

Exceptions for Farm Trailers:

Title is required if the farm trailer is over 34,000 pounds gross weight or was previously titled Title is optional if the farm trailer is 34,000 pounds gross weight or less Registration is optional if the farm trailer is 4,000 pounds gross weight or less Farm trailers are exempt from inspection

To apply for title and/or registration, you may go in person to your local county tax office. 

There are forms to fill out and some required documentation needed.  Detailed instructions and how to download the forms are attached. 

For your convenience, this email contains a hyperlink(s), which is the text underlined and highlighted in blue.  Click the hyperlinked word(s) to visit the referenced website.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.  Have a wonderful day! 

Sincerely,

Melody || Customer Service Representative
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

Consumer Relations Division

Email: AskDMV@TxDMV.gov   Phone:1-512-465-3000 or 1-888-368-4689
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/10/20 03:47 PM

Just register it as homemade.
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/10/20 05:18 PM

That will work.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/14/20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

I don't believe the fee applies if it was never used on the road. When I registered mine late they asked if I had used on public roads or gotten a ticket.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/14/20 11:28 AM

If your trailer weighs less than 4K gross AND you have farm plates on your truck, you don't have to have plates.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/15/20 11:17 AM

"I don't believe the fee applies if it was never used on the road." Yeppers, but nopers - they wouldn't take my word for it. Must be more deliberate in Comal County. Mine hadn't been used and they didn't care.
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/15/20 01:23 PM

Comal County Gustapo
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Before I look stupid at the tax office ? - 05/15/20 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stump_jumper
Originally Posted by Hudbone

I don't believe the fee applies if it was never used on the road. When I registered mine late they asked if I had used on public roads or gotten a ticket.

Yup, you'll have to sign a paper saying that it hasn't been used while not registered and that you haven't received any tickets
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum