Texas Hunting Forum

New A/T tires

Posted By: Ridn9high

New A/T tires - 03/05/20 06:26 PM

Looking to get a new set of tires for my Duramax soon. Right now I have Nitto Ridge grapplers and have not been impressed.
Anyone have experience with the Cooper Discover AT3 XLT or Toyo Open country A/T2?
Posted By: jimgb

Re: New A/T tires - 03/05/20 07:40 PM

Toyo open country just came out with a/t 3 they say better then the 2 they have it on there web sight.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: New A/T tires - 03/06/20 03:21 PM

I've run both those tires and both are good.

I got a lot of miles out of the Coopers and great traction wet/dry/offroad. I'd certainly buy them again.

The Toyo's got a ton of miles. The belts actually broke down in one of the tires before they wore out at about 60K miles. Only thing I didn't love about the tire was the wet road traction.

I ran the Coopers on a half ton and the Toyo's on a 3/4 ton as an FYI. Not sure about the Coopers on the heavier truck.

I'm about to replace tires on my F250 and am deciding between the Toyo again, the Ridge Grappler, and the BFG KO2. I'm beginning to hear enough bad about the Nitto's that I think they're out of the running. I would almost certainly go with the Cooper if they offered them in the size I need but they don't.

Discount tire is offering 10% back on tires purchased this weekend FYI. I'll probably buy this weekend and get installed next week.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: New A/T tires - 03/06/20 03:36 PM

Have a set of the Coopers on a Ram 1500 right now in E range. Been very happy with them. Brother has same tires on his Duramax and is equally happy.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: New A/T tires - 03/06/20 04:14 PM

Toyo's
Posted By: Judd

Re: New A/T tires - 03/06/20 08:05 PM

I absolutely hate my Ridge Grapplers...I'm reminded of the mistake it was to buy these tires every time it rains mad. These have been so bad that it'll be a LONG time before I buy Toyo or Nitto again.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/06/20 09:15 PM

I just got back from Discount and ordered a set of the Toyo AT2 Xtremes.

His opinion was that the Ridge Grappler and the Toyo were the 2 best options, with the BFG a close 3rd.

Based on my past experience with the Toyo, and the very mixed reviews on the Ridge Grappler (people either love or hate), I went back to the Toyo.

His opinion was that to Toyo was good for 50K and the BFG for 40K, everything else was equal.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New A/T tires - 03/07/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Judd
I absolutely hate my Ridge Grapplers...I'm reminded of the mistake it was to buy these tires every time it rains mad. These have been so bad that it'll be a LONG time before I buy Toyo or Nitto again.

Toyo isn’t nitto , not even close to same compounds.

Nitto is the worst In my limited use of them,

The BFG in my wife’s burb are about to replaced with Toyo ATIII or I may even get her RT’s and we can just be Toyo RT family on all three vehicles. I’ve put 400k miles on Toyo tires and havent had one issue.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: New A/T tires - 03/08/20 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

The BFG in my wife’s burb are about to replaced with Toyo ATIII or I may even get her RT’s and we can just be Toyo RT family on all three vehicles. I’ve put 400k miles on Toyo tires and havent had one issue.

Those Toyo’s will be great for a soccer mom wagon, basically the same as the Michelin LTX.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/08/20 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by BigPig

Those Toyo’s will be great for a soccer mom wagon, basically the same as the Michelin LTX.

I think you are confused with BFG k2 while worthless they do look cute on wife’s suburban. She says they make it look aggressive..... because of the side wall pattern...

[Linked Image]

Re: New A/T tires - 03/09/20 01:59 AM

I think you are confused with BFG k2 while worthless they do look cute on wife’s suburban. She says they make it look aggressive..... because of the side wall pattern...

[Linked Image]

Yet the Toyo AT3 mimics the KO2, must be doing something right.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: New A/T tires - 03/09/20 01:59 PM

The KO2 is a great tire for wet grass and I love it. Great on road traction in any weather, as well as quiet. Unfortunately they suck in the mud, I went to the Cooper ST Maxx. They were quieter and smoother. I also had 3 flats and on my #9000 pig it would walk all over the road under heavy braking. Great treadwear on the Cooper too but I have no idea how long that would last. I gave them away at half life. Went back to BFG but wanted better traction than the KO2 so I got the Mud Terrain KM2. They’re currently at 39k and wore completely out. They got LOUD about 10k ago. Never a flat though as I’ve come to expect from BFG E rated tires. I’ll be getting another set in the next couple of weeks. They’re not cheap but this fat kid is not changing flats either.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: New A/T tires - 03/10/20 05:12 AM

I have about 57k miles on my AT2 Extreme's, and still probably have another 5-10k miles left. Like mentioned above they aren't great in rain. I'll probably get the AT3's or R/T's next.
Posted By: hawk

Re: New A/T tires - 03/10/20 01:28 PM

KO2's are great in rocky areas, not so much in mud. I've got 76k on mine. But I never miss a rotation.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: New A/T tires - 03/11/20 01:42 AM

I’ve ran cooper AT 3 and Toyo Open Country.

Diesels eat tires. I’m a big cooper fan but I only got about 45k out of them and the Toyos.

On a half ton I got 70k outta them.

I have toyo M/T’s now and they wear fast but at least the off road traction is there
Posted By: lil_red_ryder

Re: New A/T tires - 03/11/20 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Diesels eat tires. I’m a big cooper fan but I only got about 45k out of them and the Toyos.

I have toyo M/T’s now and they wear fast but at least the off road traction is there

Agreed, on a 1/2 ton my last set of Toyo’s I got 80,000 but on my diesel I’m lucky to get 40
Posted By: Big_Country01

Re: New A/T tires - 03/11/20 04:08 PM

I went with Cooper STT Maxx on my last go-round. Couldnt be happier. They are great on the road, too.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: New A/T tires - 03/11/20 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Country01
I went with Cooper STT Maxx on my last go-round. Couldnt be happier. They are great on the road, too.

I was looking at those for my next set. They are cheaper that the ST Maxx. I had a set of ST Maxx's on my Tacoma and they were great. At least for first 30k before I sold it. I have run just about every type of MT. My concern's with the STT Pros are: wear, noise, and wet road handling. Most have been issues with MTs I have run in the past. I am thinking about Goodyear Authority ATs. They are aggressive for an AT and hopefully don't have the weak sidewalls of the Duratracs. People at Discount in Rockwall seem to like them. Other than cost my choice hands down would be the ST Maxx.
Posted By: wapiti

Re: New A/T tires - 03/14/20 03:25 PM

Cooper AT 3's are the way to go IMHO.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by lil_red_ryder
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Agreed, on a 1/2 ton my last set of Toyo’s I got 80,000 but on my diesel I’m lucky to get 40

I got 60k+ on my last set of Toyo AT2's on a Ram Cummins. I rotate pretty religiously, but also tow a lot. We'll see how the current set does on a F250 diesel.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by wapiti
Cooper AT 3's are the way to go IMHO.

Unless mud is primary concern. I prefer a more aggressive tread for sharp rocks and mud.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 02:26 PM

I've had to separate sets of KO2's and both sets had the sidewalls fall apart. The first set I had on the truck less than 6 months before they fell apart. This last set had about 56,000 miles on them before I saw it start again. I also called a buddy who runs them as well, he has had the same issues. The guy at Discount Tire told me he has never seen that happen before. However I can call one guy and he has had the same issues as me.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Herbie Hancock
I've had to separate sets of KO2's and both sets had the sidewalls fall apart. The first set I had on the truck less than 6 months before they fell apart. This last set had about 56,000 miles on them before I saw it start again. I also called a buddy who runs them as well, he has had the same issues. The guy at Discount Tire told me he has never seen that happen before. However I can call one guy and he has had the same issues as me.

Define fall apart?

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 02:51 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 03:08 PM

Why the hating on Nitto Trail Grapplers? I have 25,000 miles on my Trail Grapplers and am happy as can be with them.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 03:22 PM

[Linked Image]

Do you run them under inflated? What vehicle and load range tire and pressure do you run? Perhaps its the picture but it looks low.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 03:27 PM

All you have to do to settle the tire brand war is buy a different tire. Get one that is the right size and load range for what your going to do with it and pick a tread that provides what your looking for.

Here is a WELL KEPT SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost all of them work just fine. If comparing like size/tread/load range you will never know the difference. I buy whatever name brand tire is on sale at a good price. I tow I haul chit I drive in mud and sand and thorns. I have yet to find a good name brand tire that didn't live up to my expectations. I get high mileage 60,000+ even on 3/4 and 1 ton diesels, proper inflation and rotation go a long ways. Oh and no burnouts or doughnuts.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 03:38 PM

My Bridgestone Revo 3 ATs bought last Sept. for my F-150 4x4 and now with 10K or so mileage are an awesome tire. 2 rotations and balancings since and they look very good with marginal tread wear. They held up well on the ranch last season too, very good wet condition traction. Love them on the streets and highways, smooth as silk.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Why the hating on Nitto Trail Grapplers? I have 25,000 miles on my Trail Grapplers and am happy as can be with them.

My hate is on the Terra Ridge Grapplers not the Trail.

Originally Posted by redchevy
All you have to do to settle the tire brand war is buy a different tire. Get one that is the right size and load range for what your going to do with it and pick a tread that provides what your looking for.

Here is a WELL KEPT SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Almost all of them work just fine. If comparing like size/tread/load range you will never know the difference. I buy whatever name brand tire is on sale at a good price. I tow I haul chit I drive in mud and sand and thorns. I have yet to find a good name brand tire that didn't live up to my expectations. I get high mileage 60,000+ even on 3/4 and 1 ton diesels, proper inflation and rotation go a long ways. Oh and no burnouts or doughnuts.

That tells me you've never had a crappy set of tires. I'm telling you these Ridge Grapplers are junk if it's wet....slicker than owl [censored]. Any other conditions I can't complain about but they are dangerous when it's wet.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 04:22 PM

That tells me you've never had a crappy set of tires. I'm telling you these Ridge Grapplers are junk if it's wet....slicker than owl [censored]. Any other conditions I can't complain about but they are dangerous when it's wet.

I typed Trail Grapplers. I meant Ridge Grapplers. I have had both, and neither of them gave me major issues in wet. Now, on blacktop after a fresh summer rain. Look out! But that can be said of ANY Tire.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 04:22 PM

Ive never had a tire that was any slicker than another of a similar tread design.

I have owned a few off brand sets of tires and they were not good, many/almost all of them developed knots and bulges. I limit my looking to cooper bfg bridgestone goodyear for the most part.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 04:49 PM

Might be the weight distribution on the truck...who knows. But this truck has had the factory 22" street tires that were fine but not for a 4wd truck....a set of 20" Cooper Zeon LTZ, good tire but they didn't wear well....and these 20" Ridge Grapplers. The Hankook ATM tires Ford uses are better than these Ridge Grapplers and would've been $250 cheaper. Live and learn....

I'm glad yours are doing well UB.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 05:15 PM

Might be the weight distribution on the truck...who knows. But this truck has had the factory 22" street tires that were fine but not for a 4wd truck....a set of 20" Cooper Zeon LTZ, good tire but they didn't wear well....and these 20" Ridge Grapplers. The Hankook ATM tires Ford uses are better than these Ridge Grapplers and would've been $250 cheaper. Live and learn....

I'm glad yours are doing well UB.

Mine are on 18" rims. 2017 F150 with the 2.7L v6 witn the aluminum body. Don't know what truck you have, but this truck is MUCH lighter than my old V8 powered all steel F150. Maybe that has something to do with it? confused2

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 06:16 PM

I typed Trail Grapplers. I meant Ridge Grapplers. I have had both, and neither of them gave me major issues in wet. Now, on blacktop after a fresh summer rain. Look out! But that can be said of ANY Tire.

What you get for running metrosexual low profile tires and rims on a 4x4 truck.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 06:18 PM

[Linked Image]

Do you run them under inflated? What vehicle and load range tire and pressure do you run? Perhaps its the picture but it looks low.

I run Toyo RT’s 45psi in front and 40 rear and never had an issue.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 07:18 PM

[Linked Image]

How big a tires. Bigger tires get by on lower pressure.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 08:24 PM

[Linked Image]

How big a tires. Bigger tires get by on lower pressure.

They all get by on lower Air pressure, everyone of them has a safety point though. I drive a f250 psd, with tools I’m probably close to 10k lbs, whats an f150 5.5k lbs?

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 08:31 PM

I think I just figured out how you got your name....

Re: New A/T tires - 03/18/20 10:59 PM

Your truck is so clean, I wonder if you pick up a new one from lot everyday.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/19/20 01:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Perhaps they may have been slightly under inflated, Discount Tire didn't give me any flack and credited me on the tires. I was also very good about getting them rotated and balanced on schedule.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/19/20 02:31 PM

Could be the angle/picture but the first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked low. Maybe more repeated flex in the sidewall from running low fatigues them faster I don't know I might be in left field too.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/19/20 04:02 PM

Could be the angle/picture but the first thing I thought when I saw it was that it looked low. Maybe more repeated flex in the sidewall from running low fatigues them faster I don't know I might be in left field too.

You’re not wrong. Repeated driving on lower pressure causes more heat build up and can lead to tire break down faster than if properly aired up.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/19/20 04:24 PM

You’re not wrong. Repeated driving on lower pressure causes more heat build up and can lead to tire break down faster than if properly aired up.

Agree, but I don't know that Hervie's tire is low.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/23/20 05:59 PM

I got in to an argument with a truck driver once. He claimed that concrete was slicker then asphalt and I said no way. Asphalt is smoother and a lot of concrete roads have a rough texture.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/23/20 08:48 PM

Lol, great point

I can win this agruement with Judd real quick...

Judd can I borrow your truck next time we are at the lease to compare traction?

Re: New A/T tires - 03/24/20 02:40 AM

You’ve already drove it once, we’re good rofl

Re: New A/T tires - 03/24/20 01:43 PM

popcorn
[Linked Image]

Re: New A/T tires - 03/24/20 02:27 PM

popcorn
[Linked Image]

Damn I should be dead it’s been 6 years and almost 300k miles. roflmao not to mention I have exceeded Mileage warranty on all my tires for that time frame.

It’s simple math, you can figure out your load rating by PSI per mfg specs. Carli suspension has published articles on it.

Re: New A/T tires - 03/24/20 02:27 PM

You’ve already drove it once, we’re good rofl

Yes but you where watching
roflmao

Re: New A/T tires - 03/24/20 05:29 PM

popcorn
[Linked Image]

Damn I should be dead it’s been 6 years and almost 300k miles. roflmao not to mention I have exceeded Mileage warranty on all my tires for that time frame.

It’s simple math, you can figure out your load rating by PSI per mfg specs. Carli suspension has published articles on it.

Sure, im not saying you have to run 80 psi in an E range tire because that is what is says on the sidewall. But pending on the weight its carrying there is such a thing as too little that will cause tire destruction.

Looking at the tire pictured above the textured/lug on the sidewall appears to be almost all on the ground and a big pouch/belly on the side of the tire, I would call it under inflated(from the picture) and a likely contributor to his problem. Personally I almost always run my tires less than the # on the sidewall to achieve even tread wear and for a better ride.
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: New A/T tires - 03/24/20 10:26 PM

always buy road hazard
Posted By: Cleric

Re: New A/T tires - 03/31/20 07:22 PM

So is there a consensus for off-road tires for e load? I was planning ko2 but there seems to be some hate towards them

Re: New A/T tires - 03/31/20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cleric
So is there a consensus for off-road tires for e load? I was planning ko2 but there seems to be some hate towards them

Best A/T tire available if you ask me.

Re: New A/T tires - 04/01/20 02:07 AM

Bigpig’s taken a few head jolts in his career, he ment to say toyo RT
Posted By: wp75169

Re: New A/T tires - 04/01/20 07:37 AM

Just put another set on the truck, these are kO2 DT. They are a slightly different rubber compound and have a 50,000 mile tread wear rating. I’ve ran many sets of these and have been very happy with them except in mud. A mud tire they are not. My last set was BFG Mud Terrains which performed excellent. I got 40k miles out of these but admittedly they done before that. They had gotten very loud and vibrated to beat the band. I would have ran these again were they available the day I was there last week. As it was I didn’t give a second thought to getting another set of KO2s. Their puncture resistance is second to none.
Posted By: glazer1972

Re: New A/T tires - 04/02/20 03:55 AM

If they make them in your size the Walmart Goodyear Wrangler AT is good.

Re: New A/T tires - 04/02/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169

Just put another set on the truck, these are kO2 DT. They are a slightly different rubber compound and have a 50,000 mile tread wear rating. I’ve ran many sets of these and have been very happy with them except in mud. A mud tire they are not. My last set was BFG Mud Terrains which performed excellent. I got 40k miles out of these but admittedly they done before that. They had gotten very loud and vibrated to beat the band. I would have ran these again were they available the day I was there last week. As it was I didn’t give a second thought to getting another set of KO2s. Their puncture resistance is second to none.

This is my biggest gripe against DT. When they get their “DT” put in tires they have better prices and warranty but very limited size selection.
Posted By: freerange

Re: New A/T tires - 04/02/20 07:41 PM

Ive been happy with KO2 but I don't claim to be an expert. Ive put lots of miles on them. Some have said not the best in mud but I have a hunting truck with diff tires for that. I didn't figure many AT could be could on road and mud both.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum