Texas Hunting Forum

Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle

Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/29/19 03:21 PM

I crawled under my Silverado to clear some of the weeds it picked up while driving around the pasture and found something I sure didn't expect--baling twine. Don't remember seeing that!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PMK

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/29/19 06:06 PM

LOL ... my son dodged a feed sack going down the road and it wrapped/melted into the rear u-joint of his drive shaft ... took some time to get it out
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/30/19 01:52 PM

If you can find the big 18+” zip ties it’s fun to put them on your friends driveshaft. Perfectly harmless but they will think they’re losing a u joint.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/30/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by wp75169
If you can find the big 18+” zip ties it’s fun to put them on your friends driveshaft. Perfectly harmless but they will think they’re losing a u joint.

Awesome. I need to start cataloging practical jokes. It's an art. grin
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/30/19 05:07 PM

When I was a kid hunting in Fredericksburg, I drove the ranch truck over some barbed wire that was laying in some tall grass. Had to walk all the way back to camp. Spent the rest of the day with wire cutters and a screw driver getting that carp unwound.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/30/19 06:33 PM

A couple of years ago I was driving a rental car and ran over what I thought was a pillow in the road. Kept going until I noticed smoke billowing out from behind me. Pulled over and crawled under car and found one of those old style, boat seat cushions (that double as a PFD) had gotten wedged between drive and exhaust pipe. No flame, but lots of smoke.
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/31/19 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Awesome. I need to start cataloging practical jokes. It's an art. grin

It's an old one, but check out "Getting Even" by George Hayduke. It's been out for years; I've misplaced my copy...
rolleyes
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/31/19 06:25 PM

That’s a bunch of twine
Posted By: oldrancher

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 08/31/19 07:50 PM

Bailing wire, old sheep and goat net wire, old barb wire roles, bale twine, round bale net wrap are bad news and can ruin a good day. If it gets into the bearings that's even a worse day. On a dozer, hay equipment, anything that moves. Found it all. Not much fun.
Posted By: Pootie

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 09/01/19 01:46 PM

Backed over a rolled up section of old field fence in a corner while shredding. It prevented one of the blades from swiveling. Thought the tractor was going to turn over or shake apart before I could shut the PTO off. Was NOT easily removed even with the shredder off the tractor and vertical under a shade tree. Once is definitely enough.
Posted By: MIROPHAN

Re: Don't Get Wrapped Around the Axle - 09/02/19 05:42 PM

I rented a farm and the landlord ran over a old coil spring mattress with a bush hog. Took about a week to get all of the rusty wire from the shaft. Big lesson learned.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum