Texas Hunting Forum

Vintage hunting bike find

Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Vintage hunting bike find - 06/01/19 02:10 AM

Got a wild hair and picked one of these up today. Needs carb work and a brake cable, but other than that it is in great shape for a 1974 model. This looks just like mine except mine has no headlight. Can’t wait to get it running and try it out. Dang thing will stand up without a kickstand with those tires on it. Heald Super Bronc 10 hp.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/01/19 11:18 AM

Post some pics!!!

What did you have to give for it?
Posted By: Single Shot

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/04/19 01:18 PM

Cool Find
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/04/19 03:05 PM

Wonder how loud it is?

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/04/19 03:33 PM

Not sure. I've seen pictures with all sorts of different muffler configurations. I'll probably add a bigger one than original.
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/04/19 05:29 PM

I had one almost exactly like it back in the late 70's early 80's. I had to assemble it but it went anywhere I needed to go on the lease. One very important thing to remember DON'T GET IN THE GUMBO MUD WHEN IT IS BALLING AS WE CALL IT. The gumbo will lock up the rear wheel and you will burn up the drive belt, ask me how I know?? More than once!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/04/19 10:54 PM

saw those advertised years ago, neat find
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/05/19 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Single Shot
Cool Find
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/05/19 08:39 PM

Great find. Our neighbor in North Dakota had one that was sort of like it, his son and I would take it duck hunting.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/05/19 09:41 PM

Folks swear by those. Cool pick up!

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/05/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I had one almost exactly like it back in the late 70's early 80's. I had to assemble it but it went anywhere I needed to go on the lease. One very important thing to remember DON'T GET IN THE GUMBO MUD WHEN IT IS BALLING AS WE CALL IT. The gumbo will lock up the rear wheel and you will burn up the drive belt, ask me how I know?? More than once!

Man, you’re right about that! I had a Honda 3-wheeler for a while, and took off down a gumbo road in Louisiana going duck hunting. The mud locked it up and I spent over an hour poking mud out from between the tires and the too-close fenders with a stick!
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/19/19 12:39 PM

Nice to see these still around.
Back in the day you could buy them in assembled or kit form out of magazines like Popular Mechanics and Popular Science.
Still have a complete running 5HP Heald Trail Bronc in my shop that came from factory on a truck in two cardboard boxes - 1 with motor and 1 with everything else.
The chrome on the fenders has long since went away and we painted them white.
Had to rebuild the tired old Tecumseh and install new tires in 1985 after us, kids and grandkids rode the snot out of it.
It's slow but has plenty of power, it's rough, it handles poorly (by today's standards) but _EVERYBODY_ has to have a second or third lap on it!

From a time far ago when fun was simple....
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 06/19/19 02:09 PM

Our Murdoch's ranch store has new that look just like that in stock now. Bet yours was much cheaper though.
Cool find and vintage is nice to have.

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 12/18/19 02:21 PM

Update time- got this back from the shop. Runs great, he had to find a carb that fit. He added a home-made battery strap and battery and voila- the electric starter works!
Runs good, but boy, you better be in wide-open spaces the first time(s) you ride it! When you turn the throttle, the engine starts revving up a little and nothing happens, then give it a little more and it starts to go then it takes off. I'll probably have to get rid of it so nobody in my family ends up in the hospital smile.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 12/18/19 03:33 PM

That is awesome. I'd be interested if you wanted to sell / trade it.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 12/18/19 04:02 PM

Sounds like you should adjust the centrifugal clutch.
Posted By: huntingag01

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 12/18/19 05:32 PM

Nice! I would be interested in it as well.

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 12/18/19 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cast
Sounds like you should adjust the centrifugal clutch.

Actually, it doesn't have a typical mini-bike centrifugal clutch setup. It uses a Comet Torque-A-Verter which is sorta similar to a CVT?
Whatever, it works and has a crap-ton of torque with a 10 horse engine. I wouldn't let anyone under 27 ride this thing without signing a waiver.

Here it is running

Posted By: Vern1

Re: Vintage hunting bike find - 12/19/19 12:32 AM

It uses the same type of torque converter assy that is used in Mules and smowmobiles.
Lube the moving internals on the front clutch part and the pucks on the rear pulley and it will smooth out.
Rem oil in spray can works very well but keep it off of the belt and pulleys.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum