Texas Hunting Forum

Plastic on Honda Foreman

Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/23/19 11:39 AM

Did my first 100 hour oil change and definitely the hardest part of this task was getting the plastic back on. Never did get the last stud into the grommet. The one on the right side, top was low, under the grommet by what felt like 1/2". I was able to pull the panel off for the dip stick access and run my arm (kinda like a farm vet) all the way up and to the other side and barely get my finger on it. Everything else snaps in pretty easy but for the love of mankind this one just seems out of location too much to find home.

Any pointers on this?

A little background, I bought it brand new from the dealership, a 2016 model in 2018. It sat outside a lot during the two years at the dealership and after I had it about 6 months the camo plastic faded. They gladly warrantied it and I got all new plastic, all the way around. I never noticed if prior to my oil change if this stud was snapped in or not, it seems pretty tight and stable with this one not in. BTW, dealership wanted $235.00 to perform this service. They would have adjusted the valves also for this $, but for it starts and runs great so for less than $40.00 I did it myself. New crush washer and O ring included.

Attached picture IMG_2983.JPG
Attached picture IMG_3052.JPG
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/26/19 01:38 PM

No comment on the plastic but I highly recommend setting the valve lash or having it done. It only needs to be done once after break in. If not you will eventually start hearing it and have a slight loss of power. My rancher now has 5000 miles and is silent. Did the lash on one recon and not the other and it was surprising how much louder the one was that didn’t get set. Long term too much lash will also wear out valve guides and cause it to burn oil.
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/26/19 02:38 PM

I have a Foreman with that plastic engine cover. Putting it back on is not my favorite job. Great machine though.

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/27/19 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by wp75169
No comment on the plastic but I highly recommend setting the valve lash or having it done. It only needs to be done once after break in. If not you will eventually start hearing it and have a slight loss of power. My rancher now has 5000 miles and is silent. Did the lash on one recon and not the other and it was surprising how much louder the one was that didn’t get set. Long term too much lash will also wear out valve guides and cause it to burn oil.

Originally Posted by wp75169

I could google it, or you could tell me what the valve lash is?

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/27/19 05:17 AM

It’s the gap between the top of the valve and the rocker when the valve is fully open and the cam is giving no lift. It’s set when it’s new but initial break-in creates wear. Once this wear occurs you can reset the lash and it should be good for the life of the bike assuming you don’t abuse it and change the oil. You can DIY with basic hand tools and a feeler gauge that can be bought at any parts store. YouTube is your friend.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/27/19 07:02 AM

Sir. Valve fully closed. Not fully open.

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/27/19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY
Sir. Valve fully closed. Not fully open.

Lol, yep, I was looking at the spring in my head while typing.

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/27/19 01:53 PM

Thanks, I appreciate it. My dealer suggested this. It's running great, so I just went ahead and did the oil change myself. BTW, got plastic back on with the help of my step son. Having hands on both sides working together made it a quick job.

I may take it in for this adjustment. It's a little past my comfort level.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/28/19 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
...after I had it about 6 months the camo plastic faded.

And it will again. Honda is the worst at camo. Get you a bottle of 303 protectant, and use it often. That's the best stuff I've found to protect the plastics. Plus, it doesn't attract dust like a lot of the others.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 02/28/19 11:46 PM

Re: Plastic on Honda Foreman - 04/26/19 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Shotgun Willie
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
...after I had it about 6 months the camo plastic faded.

And it will again. Honda is the worst at camo. Get you a bottle of 303 protectant, and use it often. That's the best stuff I've found to protect the plastics. Plus, it doesn't attract dust like a lot of the others.

Got it, ordered off Amazon. Good stuff, so far. You're right about it not attracting dust. Just makes the plastic look clean, a little brighter.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum