Texas Hunting Forum

1986 Toyota 4Runner/Rockcrawler

Posted By: HoldPoint

1986 Toyota 4Runner/Rockcrawler - 01/10/19 04:29 PM

This is not a for sale add so I did not post it in the classifieds. If for some reason this thread is not allowed here feel free to delete. I've got a Toyota 4Runner that I use as a deer lease vehicle that was originally built as a rock crawler by my good buddy. It's reliable as the day is long, starts every time after sitting for months; however, it really only comfortably fits 2 people the way the roll cage is currently designed. I've debated chopping part of the cage out of it and converting the back to a high rack but have not pulled the trigger on this. It's got more upgrades and custom parts on it than I can rattle off as I didn't build it; I wouldn't hesitate to get in it and drive it across Texas. I guess my question for the hunting forum members going into the off-season would be does anybody have any interest/a need for a two person lease vehicle or a rock crawler before I start modifying it. If so shoot me a pm and I can get you more info and pictures or somebody can post them on this thread. Just off the top of my head:

35" Super Swampers
20,000 miles on driveline items
30,000 miles on 22re motor I believe
210,000 on chassis
Full roll cage
LED lights
Sound Bar
Full-size spare w/various spare parts
Two sets of front doors
Dual Transfer case
It's street legal
Posted By: cannon88

Re: 1986 Toyota 4Runner/Rockcrawler - 01/10/19 07:49 PM

Solid axle swap?
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: 1986 Toyota 4Runner/Rockcrawler - 01/10/19 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by cannon88
Solid axle swap?

yes - disc brake conversion as well I believe
Posted By: ccoker

Re: 1986 Toyota 4Runner/Rockcrawler - 01/10/19 09:50 PM

I had an 87 that we used, I removed the top and the tailgate.
I installed two boat seats that were at the right height to use the top of the cab as a rest.
also installed an ATV winch on the rollbar to pull game up..

Great little truck, ran great but had some electrical issues that were a challenge at time to have it start.

I replaced it with a 95 that is in better shape.. but I kind of miss that old 87, it was lighter and quieter
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum