Texas Hunting Forum

Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer?

Posted By: Hoyt32

Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 04:13 AM

I’m in the market for a new utv and think I’ve narrowed it down between the Kawasaki mule and Honda pioneer. Anyone with experience care to chime in and tell me some likes and dislikes? Thank you
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 12:11 PM

I have the first generation Pioneer, it is called the Big Red. It is one tough machine. It is not the fastest but I don't need 65 mph speeds where I hunt. 7oo cc's and is stout. May be on the large size for some people and is only a single seat version. Before I bought I did a lot of question asking of dealers, independent shops and individuals, 2 brands were always at the top, Yamaha and Honda.
Posted By: Pigsicles

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 12:40 PM

I have a 2014 Pioneer 700-4 and it has been bullet proof as far as issues. I like the shorter wheel base with the option of the full bed or rear seats for when my grandboys are out at camp. I have a 2006 Rancher and a 2006 Recon with no service problems also so a fan of Honda for durability and reliability.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 01:41 PM

Mule.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 02:16 PM

I've never owned or been in a Pioneer, but have owned a lot of Hondas in my day and they've all been bulletproof. I bought the Mule Pro-FXT and it has been awesome as well. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

When I was shopping, it was between the Ranger and the Mule. After driving at looking at both the Mule seemed like the better machine hands down. At that time, the Mule came with 6X the warranty that the Ranger did, and that sealed the deal. I think it's 3X the warranty today as Polaris has come up to one year.

What is the warranty on the Honda?

Really don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd base my decision off of price, the warranty, and which dealer I wanted to deal.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Pigsicles
I have a 2014 Pioneer 700-4 and it has been bullet proof as far as issues. I like the shorter wheel base with the option of the full bed or rear seats for when my grandboys are out at camp.

What he said, I have the same. My lease buddy has a Mule, no comparison.

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

Warranties are for lesser vehicles that break.... smile
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/07/18 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by CharlieCTx
Originally Posted by Pigsicles
I have a 2014 Pioneer 700-4 and it has been bullet proof as far as issues. I like the shorter wheel base with the option of the full bed or rear seats for when my grandboys are out at camp.

What he said, I have the same. My lease buddy has a Mule, no comparison.

Originally Posted by Gumbeaux

Warranties are for lesser vehicles that break.... smile

Keep on thinking that. Shows confidence in your product to me.
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/08/18 12:28 AM

I have a 2016 Pioneer 1000 and it is amazing. It will sit 3 big men in the front. Very quiet easy to maneuver and will go anywhere. I looked at everything from the ranger to mule to canam to mahindra and the thing that sold me was the cab space, tilt wheel and the transmission.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/08/18 04:47 PM

Mule..
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/08/18 04:47 PM

I had a Kawasaki 2006 610 Mule 4x4 and recently sold it for $4,200. It never had issues and was a great utility vehicle.

I looked at all the other manufactures offerings. According to the service side of things, dealers said the Kawasaki came in the fewest times for repair. They also offer a 3 year warranty. I replaced it with a New Kawasaki Trans 4010 4X4.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/08/18 05:05 PM

I’m a fan of my Kawasaki SxS, but I’m a die hard fan of Honda ATVS, and have put over 18,000 miles on a 2004 Foreman.

That’s where I’m torn. My Kawasaki has done everything I have asked it to do. But that Honda transmission is worth its weight in gold if you will be working it religiously
Posted By: arandy

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/09/18 10:36 AM

If you are just playing either will be fine but for heavy duty the Mule would be my choice.
Posted By: sallysue

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/09/18 12:54 PM

I am on my 2 mule and been super happy with them When this one get old I will get # 3
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/09/18 01:40 PM

I’ve been having this same debate with myself. From what I understand the Mule has a long standing record of being the most reliable machine out there if given just basic service. The Honda Pioneer is relatively new to the market by comparison so it has yet to develop that reputation. The Mule used to have the price advantage of all the others but not so anymore. The Honda is much quieter

Transmission: I think this where the Honda shines. The Mule has a very reliable CVT but all CVTs need belt service and may need that service beside the road. The Honda has a 3 or 6 speed automatic transmission depending on the size of Pioneer you chose. This transmission style makes it much quieter requiring less engine rpm to get it moving. The nay sayers talk about how expensive it will be when the transmission breaks on the Honda. The say “just wait”. Well that’s the thing everyone is still waiting.

Mule = most reliable thing out there with a CVT. They did this one right.

Honda = Honda entered the game last of all and with a different transmission. Did they take the time to get it right the first time? I think so.
Posted By: Dan S.

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/09/18 04:59 PM

I haven't had any experience with the Mule but hear they are good and dependable, that said this year I traded in my 660 Rhino which I loved but it was so loud I couldn't hear myself think. Went to the local dealer and tried the Can Am, new Yamaha side by side and the Honda Pioneer deluxe 700. Bought it and am very impressed with it. Very quiet and goes anywhere we have put it.
Posted By: Deer Hound

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/12/18 01:36 AM

Have 2 mules 2 rangers bought a pioneer for bear camp this fall. Mules by far less break down. Ranger rode better then the mule. The Honda is the best of both of them rides good and is dependable it will amaze you with what it is capable of. The only issue with the pioneer is ground clearance it's only 8 inches. I've had 4 grown men 6 bags of corn and two bears on mine and it went thru a half mile of swamp like a drive in the park I'm sold on the Honda
Posted By: ccrock

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/12/18 03:53 AM

My 1000 has 12” of clearance from the factory. One thing I learned is the factory tires are junk.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/12/18 02:39 PM

I’m going through the same thing right now. Pretty much narrowed it down to the Mule Pro ftx and Honda Pioneer.

If you plan on running national forest trails out west at all know that most have two restrictions widths 50” max trails and 60” max trails. That excludes both the pro ftx and pioneer 1000. Pioneer 700 is 59.7 wide

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/12/18 05:44 PM

I’ve decided to go with the mule pro fxt eps. Getting a pretty good deal on a 2019 model
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/12/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Hoyt32
I’ve decided to go with the mule pro fxt eps. Getting a pretty good deal on a 2019 model

How good
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/12/18 10:47 PM

The only two things I don’t like about the mule pro is the acceleration and the bed space in crew cab mode. Usually when we work there are more than a couple of us so there’s no room to put stuff
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/13/18 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ramball36
The only two things I don’t like about the mule pro is the acceleration and the bed space in crew cab mode. Usually when we work there are more than a couple of us so there’s no room to put stuff

Come on money bags, buy your hands a few Mules and then you won’t have to tote anybody around and have the full bed.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/13/18 11:09 PM

Great choice!

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/16/18 06:19 AM

13k and some change for the 2019 pro fxt camo eps. So far I’m impressed with it. It’s quieter than the rest which is very important to me. I don’t feel like anyone could go wrong with either the Kawasaki or Honda.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/20/18 02:43 PM

Both Honda and Kawasaki have a good reputation of making quality products. Trying to decide which is better is like deciding which six eggs out of a dozen are better then the other six. It really doesn't matter if you are looking at quality.

The big difference between the Honda and the Mule comes into play with the second row seating. If you don't want that, then go for price after you add all your options. But if you want two rows of seating, the Mule still has a bed for storing stuff, while the Honda no longer has a bed for hauling anything because the second row of seating replaces the bed. Mule gives you a small, or bigger bed depending on if you are using the second row, or you have it folded up. Honda is one way or the other, you can't have both.

I bought with the Mule.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/29/18 04:13 AM

13k and some change for the 2019 pro fxt camo eps. So far I’m impressed with it. It’s quieter than the rest which is very important to me. I don’t feel like anyone could go wrong with either the Kawasaki or Honda.

Dang I just went to Kawasaki website, that is nice. Thanks for report.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/29/18 02:59 PM

I bought the new Mule Pro the first year they came out. I use it on the ranch for ranch work and I use it for hunting and it has preformed flawlessly. All I've ever had to do is change oil and air filter. Very pleased with it, it runs about 43mph top end and rides like a caddy...And have yet to get it stuck in the mud.
Posted By: fcr550

Re: Kawasaki Mule or Honda Pioneer? - 12/29/18 08:49 PM

I'd agree, i got the mule a year back and have been nothing but impressed.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum