Texas Hunting Forum

Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions

Posted By: pmnitro

Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/12/18 02:46 PM

A little first hand knowledge would be great. I currently own a Polaris Ranger 500 midsize. It's small - very easy to get around in the woods while hunting.
Recently I have considered making a change to the Kawasaki Mule Pro. It is so smooth while driving but I do have some concerns. Anyone have first hand information getting around in the woods with the Mule?
Weight and "getting high centered" is also an issue at one place I hunt, with steep draws and creeks.
Thanks in advance...
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/12/18 04:58 PM

I own a Pro FXT but have never owned a Ranger. Was planning to buy a Ranger but test drove the Mule at the dealership and it was over. Just felt like a much better vehicle. Doesn't have the top speed but that wasn't on my priority list at all. Rides better, more comfortable, power steering feels great (hated it in the Ranger), more room, convertible bed so it keeps the length down, and the fact that the Kawasaki has a 3 year warranty and the Polaris has a 6 month tells a lot about how each manufacturer feels about their quality.

I've had mine in some rough stuff and it never once felt like it was going to get stuck. I did put a lift on mine because it would drag in some of the places at our lease.
Posted By: pmnitro

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/13/18 06:35 PM

I’m thinking the mule stock has less than 9” of clearance and the ranger has over 10”. I’m not into lifts but the mule may need some help. My little ranger gets me where I need to go. Just a touch small.
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/13/18 09:18 PM

4" Highlifter (advertised as a 2" but it's really 4") is cheap and easy to install. About $250.
Posted By: Old Stony

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/13/18 10:04 PM

I've owned both, and think the Ranger is a much better vehicle. Mechanically I think the Ranger is much better. The mule was always hitting stuff somewhere on the bottom and I even had things bent and broke from that. If a guy is just going to run around on a golf course, the Mule would work..but the Ranger would be much more pleasant to drive and have less mechanical issues.
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/14/18 11:53 AM

I would respectfully disagree. Every ranger I’ve ever been associated with was a pos. I currently use a mule pro . Used exclusively for work. Last couple machines were sold with 1700ish engine hours. You be hard pressed to find any make of Polaris still mobile with that much use. Not as fast as ranger, but if I need to go 60, I’ll take my truck. Obviously this is my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth .
Posted By: don k

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/14/18 12:04 PM

I gave my Son a Kubota RTV 900 that I had put over 3000 hours on in 6 years and the only repairs were a water pump, one radiator hose and a fan belt that a stick had got into and broke. That was over a year ago and he is still using it without any problems.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/14/18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Midwaytmm
I would respectfully disagree. Every ranger I’ve ever been associated with was a pos. I currently use a mule pro . Used exclusively for work. Last couple machines were sold with 1700ish engine hours. You be hard pressed to find any make of Polaris still mobile with that much use. Not as fast as ranger, but if I need to go 60, I’ll take my truck. Obviously this is my opinion, so take it for what it’s worth .

I agree 100% with this...
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 01:24 PM

I’ve used kubota in the past too. Was very happy with them. My only complaint was the rough ride . I think they offer fully independent susp now. If that’s true, I would advise anybody to give them consideration. Warranty/support is supposed to be excellent, but I wouldn’t know for a fact. I never had to use it . My hands use one daily for 6 years now with no problems. They can break anything usually.....
Posted By: easton1025

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 03:31 PM

mule pro and never look back.....
Posted By: The Duke

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 03:41 PM

I have owned several Polaris, 2 Mule, 1 Diesel Kubota. Now I own a Can-am Defender I will own Can-am from here on out! They have it figured out!
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 03:50 PM

I have never owned a Mule but I have two Polaris Rangers. Never had a minutes trouble out of them and they are used daily. Granted I am not abusing them either. I bought it as a Cadillac and treat it as such. I check cows daily, use it at the deer lease often, haul gear in and out duck hunting but I don't see how fast it will run every time I step on the gas and I don't try to climb rock cliffs either.

There are qualities about the Ranger that keep it classified as an ATV vs a UTV. That is what sold me.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 03:58 PM

I've rode in two Mule Pros...one diesel and one gas...both were very nice rides and I wouldn't hesitate to own one. I've owned an older Mule 4010 trans and have a Ranger currently. The Kaw motor is as bullet proof as they come, it's extremely hard to kill one even if abused. I sold the older Mule and got a Ranger due to the design as to where the air filter and intake stuff was...I can take my Ranger in mud/water that is over the wheels and well into the cab...you couldn't do that with the older Mule.

This Ranger has been a good one (it's a 2009 700 that I bought specifically to get this motor/design) and I don't use it enough to justify buying another one so I've not looked to see the water/air limits/capabilities with the new Mule Pro actually are. If you use yours that way you might look into that though.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 08:29 PM

My '05 was bulletproof as well.

Posted By: arandy

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/15/18 09:17 PM

I like my pro dx but it sure has a lot of plastic where I wish it was more substantial. Have put two rough seasons on it with no problems but I won't be surprised if it starts coming apart one of these days. But it is a nice rig so far and I would not trade it for a new ranger heads up.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/16/18 09:01 PM

For those of you with a Mule Pro FXT - are the doors cumbersome?
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/16/18 09:03 PM

No. They can be removed if needed
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/17/18 02:32 PM

Both are fine UTV's when you take care of them. Grease, oil changes, and clean the air filter OFTEN.
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/26/18 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: The Duke
I have owned several Polaris, 2 Mule, 1 Diesel Kubota. Now I own a Can-am Defender I will own Can-am from here on out! They have it figured out!

Please tell us more. Review or comparison would be helpful
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/26/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: mooney_ag
Originally Posted By: The Duke

Please tell us more. Review or comparison would be helpful

We've had a TransMule 4010 for 6 years. I drove a CanAm HD8 the other day. It's quieter, more powerful, has different "modes" you can select for power and torque, and there are a mind-numbing array of optional accessories to choose from.
I'm pricing one out now.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/29/18 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Texican

Super easy and no need to rake them off. Much better than the Polaris nets
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/29/18 12:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Originally Posted By: Texican

Super easy and no need to rake them off. Much better than the Polaris nets

I was going to remove mine, I am sooo glad I didn't. It keeps the mud and water off me, and helps keep cold air out, in the winter. The doors have not caused me a single problem. They've been more of a help. My spotlight rose in the passenger floor board for several days. I thought nothing of it, knowing it wouldn't fall out.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Ranger vs Mule Pro opinions - 10/29/18 07:38 PM

Doors were a nuisance when hunting behind bird dogs so I took them off. About a 15 minute job to remove them and I have never put them back on because I use it to run a spray rig off of in summer and it's cooler. But if I was using it for something other than quail hunting I'd leave them on in cold weather. You got 'em if you need 'em.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum