Texas Hunting Forum

Nitto tires?

Posted By: OHanlon87

Nitto tires? - 09/05/18 02:50 PM

Anyone have experience with Nitto Ridge Grappler tires? Need some all terrain tires for my 2018 Chev 2500 with 20” rims. I’ve always used BFG KO’s on past trucks but they are limited on sizes with 20” rims and E load range. I could upsize to 285’s to get BFG, but that’s an extra $400 I don’t want to spend.
Posted By: PonchoMike

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/05/18 03:16 PM

I prefer Toyo’s which are a sister company to Nitto. They are both great tires. I’ve had Terra Grappler AT’s before and didn’t care for them. Switched to the Toyo AT’s and MT’s and couldn’t be happier!
They wear exceptionally well. Little pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/05/18 03:22 PM

I have had Nitto trail grappler, and nitto terra grapplers in the past, ans was very happy with the performance of both of them. As soon as the factory tires on my truck wear out, I'm getting the ridge grapplers.
Posted By: arandy

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/05/18 04:48 PM

Several trucks ago I needed to replace the 6 ply tires that came on it because of west Texas thorns. I went to my friend's tire store and told him I needed a set of 10 ply tires that would run smooth and quiet, take the thorns, and last 50k miles. He said, "go look at what's on my truck and that will be my recommendation". They were Nitto Terra Grapplers. He said I can sell you a more expensive tire but not a better one. He said when I put a set of these on for a customer, I seldom have to touch them other than routine rotations. I'm on my third set and when I wear them out I'll be buying Nitto's again.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/05/18 05:22 PM

Originally Posted By: arandy
Several trucks ago I needed to replace the 6 ply tires that came on it because of west Texas thorns. I went to my friend's tire store and told him I needed a set of 10 ply tires that would run smooth and quiet, take the thorns, and last 50k miles. He said, "go look at what's on my truck and that will be my recommendation". They were Nitto Terra Grapplers. He said I can sell you a more expensive tire but not a better one. He said when I put a set of these on for a customer, I seldom have to touch them other than routine rotations. I'm on my third set and when I wear them out I'll be buying Nitto's again.
hard to believe that they are tougher that Goodyear MTRs. If I had a dedicated ranch truck that is what I would run. I ran a set on a Tacoma for a month and they are tough as nails. Discount installed the wrong tires and told me I could keep at the Duratrac price. If they had better road manners I would have kept them.
Posted By: twinbubba

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/05/18 10:54 PM

I have run Nitto Tara Grapples and got better mileage out of them then I did on the two set of BFG TAKO tires. When my OEM tires wear out on my Colorado I will be purchasing Nitto again.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/06/18 12:43 AM

Almost 30k on mine mounted on a MegaCab. I really like them. Do well at the lease, seem to be wearing well and just a touch of whine on the highway. 35x11.50x20
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/07/18 09:54 PM

My dad had them on his 2500. Worked good on and off road. He traded it in well before they wore out but seemed like they were going to last pretty well.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/07/18 09:58 PM

I might have to try them again. I have always ran BFG’s and salesman talked me into the “better and cheaper” tire, which was the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Was very disappointed with the muddy and even wet conditions and they made it about 40k before having to be replaced. Haven’t looked at them since
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/08/18 05:07 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I might have to try them again. I have always ran BFG’s and salesman talked me into the “better and cheaper” tire, which was the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Was very disappointed with the muddy and even wet conditions and they made it about 40k before having to be replaced. Haven’t looked at them since

Don't. They are still a let down
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/10/18 02:01 AM

Pretty sure the grappler I’d the Nitto Tire’s I just put on my truck. I’ve put a thousand miles on them. They did good on the lease too.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/10/18 03:03 AM

I've been running the Ridge Grapplers on a Ram 1500 since April and have been very happy with them. Haven't been in mud yet but they've done well on dirt roads, and on hwy roads.

I was real happy with Goodyear DuraTracs before that.

Had nitto Grapplers on an older truck and they aren't meant for off road use. Good on road but not in wet dirt. They cake up and turn to slicks.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/11/18 12:28 AM

I’ve ran Toyo AT for years and just switched to the Nitto Ridge. They are dang good tires. Had them in the sand and mud and are very impressed. Mostly that they don’t “hum” with the aggressive tread.
Quieter than the MT and more “bite” than the AT.
Highly Recommend.
Posted By: NickBurn

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/11/18 07:31 AM

I've never had Nitto tires, but as far as I know, Nittos and Toyos are made at the same facilities. And I had Toyo tires several times already, and I must say I like the way they perform on sand and in dirt. Sure thing, it depends on the tires you are looking at, but as for the Toyos I had, I liked the grip.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/11/18 03:24 PM

I've had both Toyo & Nitto but a more coarse offroad version than the AT. Running on a 2500 Cummins, the Nittos where below passing inspection by 27k miles with proper rotation, I then switched to the Toyo RT and made it to about 32k miles before having 2 with thread separation with about 5-6/32 thread left. The RT were great except black mud on traction and the Nitto were good in everything except wear (and noise the more worn they got). I switched back to GY Duratrac a couple months ago since they now offer a load range E in the size I run on my truck.
Posted By: Gas Man

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/13/18 03:50 PM

Cooper STT Max or Pros are the best I've ever run. Had them all and the Coopers outlast and outperform all of them by leaps and bounds. Never had so much as low tire on any set I've had and even the Pro's which are very aggressive tires are quiet on the highway.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/13/18 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Gas Man
Cooper STT Max or Pros are the best I've ever run. Had them all and the Coopers outlast and outperform all of them by leaps and bounds. Never had so much as low tire on any set I've had and even the Pro's which are very aggressive tires are quiet on the highway.

What kind of mileage from a set?
Posted By: BubRay

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/13/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
Originally Posted By: Gas Man

What kind of mileage from a set?

I have 58k on mine and counting. F150 leveled running 295/70r18s
Posted By: chongo

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/14/18 02:56 PM

I'm running 285/75/18 Ridge Grapplers on my F150. I've got around 5k on them. They've been on rocks, through mud, towed and straight hwy. They are quite and ride smooth. I came from Toyo MT which rode rough and were loud. No perceptible difference offroad. I love the Ridge Grapplers and will run them again when these wear out. The only downside is they are on the heavier side of comparable tires in the same size.

I had a set of Cooper AT3's on my truck and my wife's Nissan NV van. 6 of the 8 total tires were already cupping in less than 4k miles. I had this confirmed by two different shops. I won't run Cooper again and can't recommend them.

My business partner has a set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 35x12.5x20 on his F250, he's got 25k on his, no noise, still ride smooth and tread is roughly half worn.

Posted By: stephenme

Re: Nitto tires? - 09/15/18 03:37 AM

I own a tire shop and when my customers ask for the best tire, I always land on Toyo's. Now to be fair, I'd assume if you ask 10 different people you'd most likely get 10 different answers. I will say today I had a very good customer in that runs nothing but Toyos, stays hooked up to trailers 70% of the time and had 53k miles on a set of Toyo A/Ts on his dodge dually. I personally run the Toyo RT on my truck.
Posted By: _Lee

Re: Nitto tires? - 10/17/18 12:49 AM

I have a set of Toyo MTs on my 15 Duramax with 37k miles on them I didnt rotate enough and I’m going to be trying out a set of the Nitto Ridge Grapplers next month. Nothing wrong with the Toyos just wanted to try out something less aggressive. Read a lot of reviews on Duramax forums and didn’t see a lot of good things about the Tera Grapplers or G2s.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Nitto tires? - 10/17/18 01:08 AM

Running Terra Grappler G2's on my F-150. Definitely not a mud tire but great longevity. I got 90k out of the last set.
Posted By: TxAggie10

Re: Nitto tires? - 10/18/18 03:50 AM

Good thread. Been watching the Ridge Grapplers. May give them a shot if they come in 285/60/20.

I tried the Nitto Terra Grappler once....Never again.

Best tire I’ve ever owned was a Nitto CrossTek. 88k miles out of a set. Think I could have made 90k+ miles if my front shocks didn’t wear out. This was a load range E on an F150 4x4. Not a very aggressive tire, not the best in the mud, but great on wet roads and dirt roads.

Had Toyo A/T II’s on my Z71. Wasn’t overly impressed.

Anyone ever tried an Exo Grappler?
Posted By: Ramball36

Re: Nitto tires? - 10/18/18 11:30 AM

We have the ridge grapplers on 3 f-350's, two of them have flatbeds and 1 still has factory bed. They are definitely a tough tire and traction is decent. The first sets we got an average of 30-32k out of them. Most of the trucks are hooked to pretty heavy trailers several days per week. I put Toyo MT's on mine because I had good luck with them on my dodge. 8k on them so far and while they do still humm at highway speeds they're really earning their keep this fall with the rain that we've gotten.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Nitto tires? - 11/06/18 09:46 PM

I got my Nitto Ridge Grapplers dirty for the first time this weekend in some North Texas mud. They did well. Cleaned out easily, gripped really well and dug down when I wanted them to.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Nitto tires? - 11/07/18 01:52 AM

If you drive anywhere with heavy brush or thorns, stay as far away from GY Duratrac's as possible. Sorriest sidewall of any 10 ply E load range tire I've ever seen. Just in the month of November 2016 I replaced each tire due to sidewall punctures from brush at the lease. Always ran BFG prior and since, and haven't had one single flat tire, while still driving in the exact same pasture, over the exact same brush.
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Nitto tires? - 11/07/18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Nittos are not an aggressive AT. If I was primarily worried about mud and did not want a MT then it would be Duratracs or my first choice ST MAXXs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum