Texas Hunting Forum

newer jeep vs older "cool car"

Posted By: lubbockdave

newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/26/18 04:10 PM

OK-been jonesing for a 4wd vehilce I can run with the top off for a loooong time. Keep going back and forth between a newer jeep vs an older International scout. Figue the jeep would be more mechanically sound but the scout would be REALLY COOL! Assuming cost being about the same, would it be smarter to buy the newer vehicle is my question
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/26/18 04:14 PM

Depends on condition of each, newer don't mean better.
Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/26/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Depends on condition of each, newer don't mean better.

OK, assume quality about the same
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/26/18 05:46 PM

I’ve never known of anyone bragging about how reliable their scout is. Not saying they don’t exist but everyone I know that has or had one is constantly working on them.
Posted By: sdunshee

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/27/18 11:49 PM

67-72 Blazer, 78-79 Bronco's are cool too
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/28/18 01:25 AM

Depends on how mechanically inclined you are.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/28/18 03:53 AM

There's are still a few good running scouts out there, but they are hard to find.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/7259326/1

There used to be a big Scout shop in Lubbock named Scout Madness, maybe still there I just haven't looked in a while. Depending on how much you want to spend, there's a shop called Anything Scout in the Midwest that installs LS motors in scouts. Super reliable with better mileage and road manners.

I don't "wheel" my truck like I used to but if I was in to off roading and had to start over, the Jeep Rubicon would be high on my list.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/28/18 12:48 PM

First generation Bronco would be on top of my list. Unfortunately the nice ones are quiet expensive.
Posted By: chalet

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 08/28/18 03:12 PM

Depends on budget and what you need.

If you need a reliable daily driver get a newer jeep.

If you are looking for a cool lower cost part time driver that doesn't require a lot of work I'd suggest a 2nd generation stock K5.

If you are looking for a really cool rig I'd go with the Scout, 1st Gen K5 or Bronco or even FJ40. Be prepared to spend some serious dough on a nice one, or some serious time and effort on a cheap one.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 09/04/18 09:40 PM

Still get pretty good deals on the mid 70’s fj40. Easy to work on if you like that look. I’m still tracking down a decent late 70’s CJ5. Seem all beat to shat or a little too much for my paycheck.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 09/05/18 02:19 AM

Don’t get a 97 Tahoe, unless you own a mechanic shop
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 09/06/18 12:47 AM

I have a '74 K5 I've had since college and a '57 Chevy convertible, so I'm covered on both. smile

A Scout would be cool/different, most I see are either done up or are a pile waiting for an unsuspecting investor.

So Chalet, did you have or do you have a K5 Chalet by chance?
Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 09/06/18 12:56 AM

I'd be looking at parts availability if I was considering a scout.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 09/06/18 04:49 AM

I saw this Scout located in Lubbock last week when I was looking for about the same type of toy. https://odessa.craigslist.org/cto/d/1978-scout-ii-runs-great/6676449503.html
Posted By: chalet

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 09/10/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: CharlieCTx
I have a '74 K5 I've had since college and a '57 Chevy convertible, so I'm covered on both. smile

A Scout would be cool/different, most I see are either done up or are a pile waiting for an unsuspecting investor.

So Chalet, did you have or do you have a K5 Chalet by chance?

I did have a 76 K5 Chalet that met with an unfortunate end a few years ago, it was a great truck and wish I still had it. Have a 72 GMC Jimmy that stares at me everyday when I get home like a dog with a broke leg. Getting close to driving it again and hopefully doing some hunting out of it again.

74 was a good year, if you need some parts let me know. I have some stuff I pulled off my 76 that has been collecting dust for a few years.
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: newer jeep vs older "cool car" - 10/29/18 10:01 PM

Now this is a Scout done right I saw at the gym today and the only full-size vehicle I've seen that looked good in full-on bedliner.
This was one well done project vehicle.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum