Posted By: Judd

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/11/18 11:08 PM

They'll go well with your white sunglasses nuts
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 02:05 AM

Toyota builds good vehicles.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 02:12 AM

The drunk on our lease has one. He hit a decent sized mesquite tree with it doing about 30, it’s still running with no needed repairs.

I’d say they are pretty stout. But a guy your size will be miserable
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 02:50 PM

I want to see you fit in one, actually you would fit but your height getting in out might be fun. With that said one of highest resale values of any vehicle on the road.

If I lived in CO ,where a narrower stance is a plus I’d rock one
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 05:54 PM

I have an accord as my daily. I’m only 6’4. Left to right is usually more the issue
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
I have an accord as my daily. I’m only 6’4. Left to right is usually more the issue

It’s going to be TIGHT
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 08:50 PM

I've been thinking about 'em. They are good looking. And they're made down here too. 'Wish they got just a little better gas mileage.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 09:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
I've been thinking about 'em. They are good looking. And they're made down here too. 'Wish they got just a little better gas mileage.

I did not know they were made in San Antonio.... I just can’t get used to the 2015-current body style

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/12/18 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

I’m hearing 21-22 mpg on 4x4
Posted By: DStroud

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/13/18 01:17 AM

I went shopping to get one but came home with a Tundra because I had gotten use to all the backseat room and just felt the backseat storage wouldn’t make me happy.

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/13/18 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: DStroud
I went shopping to get one but came home with a Tundra because I had gotten use to all the backseat room and just felt the backseat storage wouldn’t make me happy.

My first choice in gas trucks but I can’t do the mpg. I had one a few years ago and it was awesome
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/13/18 12:20 PM

Test drive one to see how it fits! Worst case scenario is if you don’t like it the resale value is awesome. It is always in the top 3 for resale value. I have had 2 Tacoma’s in the past and changed to a Tundra when I bought a new truck in 2015. The incentives on the Tundras made it a little cheaper than when the new Tacoma’s came out at the time. I love my Tundra and my only complaint is the fuel economy which isn’t a big deal since I knew that before buying. You can’t go wrong with a Tacoma and they are beasts off-road
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/14/18 02:59 AM

All of the guys I know that drive Toyota trucks are 6’ or taller. What’s that about?
Posted By: Midwaytmm

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/14/18 01:02 PM

My bride has a 4 door 4wd. Believe it’s a 16 model. I took it to Colorado. With cruise set on 75, it was 25mpg avg. I’m 6’1 225ish . It left a little to be desired for room on a long trip , but I’m used to full size truck . On occasion, I use it to pull my fuel trailer to town . 100gallon diesel tank, 14ft trailer , got various binder chain straps ect on it too. With full tank, you can tell the trailer is there for sure . Outstanding truck, unless you’re a big guy, that takes long trips, or have trailer of any sorts hooked up regular . But it will go anywhere, I’ve tried , and been scolded......

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/14/18 02:30 PM

I sat in one yesterday and it was a little tight. I don’t think they have adjustable seat height
Posted By: progress4m

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/22/18 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
What’s the word on the street.

I would say the word is the same as it was for the past couple of decades (since Tacoma introduction): best mid-size truck you can buy.
In midsized truck category Tacoma has the best quality and resale value; they are awesome on and off road… not sure how anyone can ask for more.
I know Tacoma third gen is fairly new… and they have new engine and trany, but if you look at a past history of Toyota vehicles (cars and trucks) they simply do not make mistakes from the start as often as other car manufactures … and in cases when something doesn’t go as planned (sh$%#$t happens) they WILL stand behind their product… vs. other companies that simply will ignore or tried to hide the issue…
So IMHO: If you are on the market for midsize truck, I do think you can go wrong with buying Tacoma.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/24/18 08:52 PM

I have a 2011, 4WD 4DR. Absolutely the best vehicle I've ever owned. Very Dependable, the 4WD engages with a turn of the switch, and has never failed. In and out of Low Range, just as well. I have about 235,000 miles and the only repairs are a U Joint, crankshaft seal, horn switch in the steering wheel.....that's all. I haven't even added AC coolant. Starter, alternator, water pump, etc, all original. It's had good maintenance. Never missed an oil change, I've flushed cooling system three times, rinse radiator and coil every now and then, spark plugs, brakes. I have a video of this thing going right past a couple of lifted Cherokees that were stuck. I'd post it but I'd get banned for language, pm me. The great thing about these is power to weight ratio, they are light, so they don't bog down and get stuck. They're smaller than a full size, so they're better in the bushes than a full size truck. If I had one thing to do over, I'd get a 6' bed. I'm 6', 180 lbs and never felt it was too small inside. I've looked at the 2018 Tacoma's and F-150's. If I didn't need to pull more than the 6,500 lbs the Tacoma is rated for I'd buy one when I'm ready.

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/24/18 09:57 PM

The front seat wasn’t bad but they lack power seats and the adjustments.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/24/18 11:41 PM

[quote=Brother in-law]The front seat wasn’t bad but they lack power seats and the adjustments. [/quote I can't remember adjusting my seat. Maybe the one time I vacuumed under it.
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/26/18 03:50 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
The drunk on our lease has one. He hit a decent sized mesquite tree with it doing about 30, it’s still running with no needed repairs.

I’d say they are pretty stout. But a guy your size will be miserable

Wade, the new ones are pretty roomy. I know Patrick is a big guy. Hell, I'm big around, not tall like him, and I run Lovie's 4Runner (same chassis) all the time.

Patrick get you one. You'll love it. It will have 300K on it and still run as peppy as it did new, just change the oil.
Lovie's has 300K+ miles on it. When we brought it home, I drained the oil, and started using Mobile 1 ever since and we haven't had any issues what so ever, maybe a brake job here and there, but out side of that, no mechanical problems.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/27/18 12:02 PM

If your that tall I would get a Tundra. You would be a lot more comfortable...

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 07/27/18 03:29 PM

I agree. Gas Milage is excessively brutal on those
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 08/02/18 01:38 AM

Not sure if all the bugs are worked put on the Gen3s. The 2015s and older are bullet proof and I would say the best off road vehicle. My 2013 Baja had locking diff and Atrac and that thing was amazing off road. After driving home from LaFayette towing my 22' 5000lb Champ bay boat and filling up 3 times I traded for a Tundra with 38 gallon tank. Truck towed it fine but I could not see having to fill up twice going to Texoma round trip. Like others said best resale when you sell. Sold my 4 year old 2009 for 80% of what I paid with 85k on odo.
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 08/04/18 02:23 AM

I'm a bigger guy, 6'1 and more lbs than I want to admit. Tacoma was a bit tight. I drive a 2016 Colorado Z71 and have zero regrets. I average about 20-22mpg for the trip to my lease, including using 4wd as I drive around the lease. It's big enough for a guy like me, plus my better half and the dogs. Personally, I didn't like the interior of the new Tacoma. The Colorado is very sharp. I've driven in the mud in East Texas, the mud here in North Carolina, and a winter storm in Michigan - not a lick of issues. So far at 30k miles and 2 years, I've only had to do tire rotations and oil changes.

I bought mine with every option but leather for the mid 30s out the door.

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 08/04/18 05:41 PM

I sat in a Colorado the other day and I wasn’t even close to fitting. I sat in a Tacoma and fit ok to decent

What some don’t understand is that even full size rides sometimes confine big people. I sat in a new Chevy the other day and it was tight due to the enormous console
Posted By: remingtonTX

Re: Pros and Cons of the new Tacoma’s - 08/12/18 11:06 PM

I've got a 2015 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4. It's my second one. I'm 6ft 235lbs and I fit just fine. I've had 5 full grown adults in this truck once. It was tight, but it was doable. The biggest downside to this truck is the interior room. Not that it's cramped, but after having a Tundra, it was hard to give up the cavernous interior, but the mileage was atrocious on that beast. Mileage isn't great on the midsize trucks but it's definitely better since I commute in it.

If you're serious about a midsize truck you can't go wrong with a Tacoma (admittedly I am biased). But definitely test drive to see if it's right for you.

As for the 4Runner, in my opinion it's kitted out better than the Tacoma, but it's a different beast. Drives totally different than the Tacoma.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum