Texas Hunting Forum

Food Plot Implements

Posted By: RutledgeRealtyGroup

Food Plot Implements - 07/02/18 11:46 PM

I bought a Can Am Defender HD10 awhile back and have started to look into implements to possibly make a food plot this year. CanAm accessories are few and far between as they haven't been around as long as others so has anyone had any experience with any other brands?
I've looked at Impact Implements and they seem to have quite a few options.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/03/18 12:33 AM

Trust me, you would be better off paying a local farmer to bust, plow it for you or rent a tractor and disc at least for the first time then maybe following years you could keep it mowed, weeds killed and use a atv/utv implement. Really depends on the ground you trying to work.
Posted By: don k

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/03/18 01:55 PM

I would think you could buy a used cheap 8 or 9 N ford tractor and a used disc harrow probably for less money than what implements and fixing what ever you break trying to use your UTV for a tractor is going to cost. But this also is only an opinion.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/03/18 05:59 PM

The soil type could put some serious strain on the transmission and rear-end on that UTV over time. I would check with a rental place close by or area farmer or rancher before I bought anything.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/04/18 06:47 AM

We bought a 3 foot disc that goes behind the atv. It wouldn't do more than rake the surface. We added 150 pounds of ballast to it, and while it did better, it beat the tar out of the bike. I wouldn't use it for anything other than top dressing ground that's already been plowed.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/04/18 05:45 PM

ATV and UTV are NOT farming equipment, not made to do these things. Even though they sell items there not made for anymore than yard work or light hauling. If you have to break ground use the right equipment. Might be able to maintane afterwards. 2cents
Posted By: RutledgeRealtyGroup

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/13/18 01:43 AM

Thanks for all the input. Looks like, no matter how bad I want to break it in...its not worth physically breaking it.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/13/18 01:34 PM

Not worth it at all. I just bought a Ford Jubilee (newer than 8N) with shredder for 2,500. Can get an 2N with disk for $2250.

Those Ford, 2N, 9N and 8N are easy to work on, cheap and last forever. Big enough to handle the medium duty disk: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-medium-duty-disc

You can usually find them on sale for $799

Get you a blade: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/countyline-grader-blade-6-ft
around $400 and now you have more than enough toys to have fun at deer camp!
Posted By: Huntmaster

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/13/18 10:50 PM

Don’t use your atv.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Food Plot Implements - 07/14/18 12:26 AM

By a used 3pt disc snd/or 2 row moldboard plow and rent a smaller tractor. You can buy a used 5' or 6' disc as cheap or cheaper than a UTV/ATV disc. You can buy old moldboard plows cheap. They plow deep enough to do some good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum