Texas Hunting Forum

Slime or no slime utv tires?

Posted By: 68rustbucket

Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 02:38 PM

Got Duro brand tires on my Mule-Pro DX. Should I slime the tires, does it work good?
or just carry a spare tire?
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 02:55 PM

Always slime!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 04:08 PM

I slime, carry plugs, and a twelve volt compressor.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 06:21 PM

Slime

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 06:24 PM

Can I buy a container large enough to do all 4 tires? I've never used it before
Posted By: tlk

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 07:02 PM

if you are going to be using in area with thorns. etc. there are several other brands other than slime that I suggest. May be a little more expensive but I have not had good luck with the green slime

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 07:21 PM

What are the other brands? Thorns are going to be an issue

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 10:32 PM

https://www.multiseal.us/#products-1

there are several other ones better than green slime - call a dealer - Kubota or Polaris and ask them - they all know the best ones
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 10:50 PM

Slime
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 11:05 PM

If you don't put sealant in them you'll wish you had. Better yet buy a set of Essex tires and never worry about them.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 11:07 PM

I live in mesquites!

Run Slime in our tractors, mowers, 4wheelers, dirt bikes, golf and go carts, buggies and other off road tools/toys.
Also usually carry a 18V Ryobi inflator just in case.

Years ago I used Berryman's Tire Sealer and it was the best I ever used.
It's hard to find anything but Slime anywhere locally.
Walmart had Slime in gallons on for 19.99 a few weeks ago and I bought 3 gallons.
I wouldn't suggest you use this on anything you drive on the highway though as road heat may dry it up and unbalance the tires.

There is a company called Ride-on that makes a nice highway rated sealer that I used in my road bikes for years.
It's pretty pricey but I've been riding since 1963 and had more than my share of flats.
Never had a flat on the old Harley for 7 years and 2-1/2 sets of tires since I started using it.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 11:29 PM

Tire repair shop here will add sealer to my jeep tires for $15. each.

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/11/17 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If you don't put sealant in them you'll wish you had. Better yet buy a set of Essex tires and never worry about them.

I agree - I have been through more ATV/UTVs than I can remember in tough conditions - thorns, rocks, etc. Even the best sealant will not stop everything. Plus if you cut the sidewall on rocks then slime is useless. Essex tires are the very best long term investment - I use Essex PLUS the good sealant - going on over three years without an issue through some really tough South Texas country

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 12:01 AM

Thanks for the info!

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 12:20 AM

you should carry a spare for sure but a lot of plugs too -
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 01:45 AM

There may be better sealants, but Slime has always worked real well for me. And I keep a plug kit handy too.

Had a guy here some years ago that had a 22 caliber sized hole in his right rear truck tire. It was hissing as he slid to a stop in front of my barn, and was flat seconds later. He could not get his spare loose and all I had was Slime. So I had him roll the tire with the hole facing down, and I slimed it. Then hooked up my big compressor. It hissed a bit, then slowly the hissing lessened and then quit. I told him where a tire place was locally, but he said he was heading to Houston (150 miles). Tried to talk him out of it, but he wasn't listening and I was ready to get rid of him, so I waved goodbye. He made it, I would not have thought he'd get there, but Slime did the job. The hole was too big for any plug i had.

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 02:59 AM

Wow!
Posted By: arandy

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 10:35 AM

MULTISEAL PRO HD 2500 is the best I have found. A gallon will do all four with some left over.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 04:44 PM

A little chunky but works great.

Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 05:32 PM

Look at TireJect.com

I switched to that on my new Mule and haven't had a problem one. I drive thru plenty of mesquite and cactus.

Slime always worked for me, I just hated the out of balance issue for the first several hundred yards after it was parked for a while so I decided to try this stuff. So far so good.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/12/17 10:15 PM

I have multi-seal in my Kubota 900. The Kubota store by me sells it.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/13/17 03:01 AM

If a hole is too big for a plug, use two.
Posted By: Pointer

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/14/17 04:58 AM

I was using a golfcart to put out quail across South Texas pastures (=mesquite)for several years. I slimed the tires once. Never have had a flat since. Same with my lawn tractor (used it from 2001 until two yrs ago). Now I have it in my ZTR mower. The stuff just works.
Posted By: Vern1

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/14/17 03:13 PM

There are two versions of Slime available at WalMart now.

One for tubeless tires and one for tubes.
If you are in bad mesquites, get the version for tubes.

The version for tubed tires has more and bigger pieces of the fiber that blocks the hole better.
Make sure you shake this version up very well before you install it in the tire.
Be advised you MAY have to clean your valve stem hole after you put it in so you can get the valve core back in after it attempts to seal the hole you are installing it thru!

The version for tubeless tires has smaller fibers as tubeless tires generally close back up better after the thorn or whatever punctures the tire comes out.

I have seen the tube version fill a 3/16" sidewall hole until we could get back to shop and plug it.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/14/17 03:31 PM

I wouldn't last a hour without slime.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/14/17 03:32 PM

Use a good one. Royal is what I use

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/14/17 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Use a good one. Royal is what I use

I agree - when folks say "slime" I am referring to the green slime that is common at wal mart etc. IMO there are much better ones out there than this brand - and that comes from much experience
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/15/17 12:45 AM

This is what I use ---> Power sports Puncture seal
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/15/17 01:07 AM

Tag
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/15/17 07:31 PM

I use #8 Hex Head Slotted sheet metal screws for quick thorn plugs.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/15/17 08:31 PM

I use the green slime from Walmart in the gallon jug in my lawn mower which mows around a lot of mesquites and our front tractor tires, its good stuff. Been working in the tractor for about 7-8 years and the mower for 5.

I don't know why such the fascination with the "best" slime works that's the best for me.
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/15/17 08:34 PM

Have used Slime for a long time in ATV & UTV tires, works really well but I still carry an air pump & plug kit.

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/15/17 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I use the green slime from Walmart in the gallon jug in my lawn mower which mows around a lot of mesquites and our front tractor tires, its good stuff. Been working in the tractor for about 7-8 years and the mower for 5.

I don't know why such the fascination with the "best" slime works that's the best for me.

No fascination - when you are running an ATV or RTV through south texas it is a bit different from a lawn mower or tractor. I have done it for years and tried green slime and had it fail on me. I switched to a better brand (posted in previous post) that stops some pretty big thorns
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 06/28/17 07:41 PM

Moral here is t0 be prepared, Slime or some other product in every tire and carry on board plugs & air compressor. Have tools/jack and spare at camp for atv and these are installed on board for UTV/ranch truck.
Posted By: Tactical Cowboy

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 08/01/17 03:26 AM

Slime!!
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 08/18/17 07:57 PM

True Goo
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 08/18/17 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
if you are going to be using in area with thorns. etc. there are several other brands other than slime that I suggest. May be a little more expensive but I have not had good luck with the green slime
this
Posted By: Sigmund

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 08/26/17 01:13 PM

I've used this with excellent results, I highly recommend it.http://thepurplegoo.com/products.php

Also Cary one of these with some extra tanks:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-CO2-Tire-Inflator/49455294

Plug kit:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/1034-A-T-Handle-Tire-Plug-Kit-USA-Brand-Slime/883774419

Get one of those small Husky tool bags from Home Depot to carry the CO2 and plug kit in, and it should be easy to cary somewhere on the ATV. Something like this.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-Red-Zipper-Pouch-48-22-8180/205560122

As long as you have normal size ATV tires, one CO2 tank should be enough to get you going again. But always cary a couple extra in case it's hard to find where the tire is leaking. I've had to use mine a couple of times, and it's worked great.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 09/01/17 02:15 AM

I use Quadboss

Description
Seals up to 1/2" puncture in the tread and 1/4" puncture in the sidewall
Stops bead leaks and pinhole leaks in rims
Will not solidify or freeze (above -33°F)
Will not rust steel, corrode aluminum wheels, or clog valve core
Environmentally benign and water washable
Works for the life of the tire
Made in the USA
Flat-Free Guarantee! Quadboss Tire Sealant guarantees no flats from punctures up to 1/2" in the tread and up to 1/4" in the side wall or we'll repair the tire for free!
Note: Dirt Bike Tire requires 4-8 oz. per tire.
Sport ATV Tire 9"-10" requires 16 oz. per tire.
Utility ATV/UTV Tires 8"-12" require 32 oz. per tire.
Not recommended for extreme high speed competitive applications.

Posted By: Empty Cartridge

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/09/17 07:34 PM

I would suggest QuadBoss sealant, it comes in individual tire size or the larger gallon to do all four tires. Not the cheapest, but it's worth every penny. I wouldn't consider driving it off the trailer without a sealant in the tires, but slime is not a good product for anything larger than a thorn prick.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/19/17 07:33 PM

Originally Posted By: bill oxner

yep
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/20/17 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: reeltexan

yep

Same, short of shredding the tire this covers most situations.

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/21/17 03:26 AM

Slime seems to be working fine after 2weekends of will hunting so far. Do carry plugs and air
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/24/17 01:58 AM

Review my post on page 2. Slime worked on a hole that was way bigger than I thought it could seal. There may be better stuff than Slime. But, i’ve been very pleased with Slime.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/24/17 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Have used Slime for a long time in ATV & UTV tires, works really well but I still carry an air pump & plug kit.
Posted By: jlsbassman

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/29/17 06:46 PM

Any issues with corrosion on the wheels when using slime in them? I read a review on one of the Polaris forums that using it will damage the wheels over time.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/29/17 08:04 PM

Posted By: golferbean

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/30/17 05:28 PM

jlsbassman,

i have heard this as well. curious if anyone has had issues with this? i currently use it in my golf cart tires.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 11/30/17 06:21 PM

Berryman's (yellow) slime at TSC in all my slow speed tires.
Posted By: huntandfish

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/03/17 07:19 PM

When i bought my mule 4 years ago, i bought what i beleive iis one of the best stuff made. I use it as a bulldozer running over mesquite and those wild fruit bushes and have yet to have a flat. You can watch reviews online where people actually used a ak-47 and shot their tires then drive their vehicles around. Regular old slime somehow dries up after a while, i've seen it at the local tire shop. This stuff stays liquid and will outlast your tire.
I bought the bulletproff since it only goes up to 25 mph.
https://www.gemplers.com/tire-sealants
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/04/17 02:57 PM

Same here. Lots of Mesquites here and no issues using the Slime.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/04/17 11:01 PM

I use this ---> Powersports in all my tubeless tractors, farm equipment, atv's, utv's, ztr, wheel barrows, off road trailers etc...

I don't carry plugs or an air compressor.
If you have to carry plugs & air compressor with you, and use them, why spend money on tire sealant in the first place, what good did using a tire sealant do for you.
If green slime works for your application, you probably don't actually need a sealant, it is on the lowest tier of tire sealants available.

Ultraseal extra heavy duty or extreme heavy duty is very good stuff too, just expensive.

These two companies actually make the sealant for a majority of tire sealants available on the market, both re brand for dozens of other companies, some mentioned in this thread.

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/05/17 12:14 AM

I use the slime and carry plugs and air. It’s cheap insurance, I hunt on a very large ranch with spotty cell service.
Posted By: Paul W

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/06/17 02:15 PM

elmer I would prefer not to use it but depends on how remote you are. Guess it wouldn't hurt to have a can or two for backup, just in case...
Posted By: Gacman

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/27/17 04:49 PM

what he said, and we carry a spare on top of the ranger. Always always slime.
Posted By: BQM88

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/28/17 03:33 AM

Slime
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 12/30/17 10:41 PM

If you have mesquites and pear, slime. No question !
Posted By: Jeffpg

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 02/10/18 10:30 AM

When in doubt, definitely slime, but there are better products out there than the slime name brand.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Slime or no slime utv tires? - 02/10/18 11:14 AM

Quadboss
QuadBoss Tire Sealant

Seals up to 1/2" puncture in the tread and 1/4" puncture in the sidewall

don't use the green tire slime it breaks down and will also screw up your rims over time.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum