Texas Hunting Forum

vehicle registration county info

Posted By: ccoker

vehicle registration county info - 10/12/15 05:34 PM

Just curious if anyone knows this info..
I live in Austin where they do emmissions testing for vehicle inspections.
Being that I bought an older (95) truck that will primarily live at the deer lease but that I want to maintain street legal status I was wondering if I could register the title at my mom's house where emissions testing is not required to pass inspection and she's also closer to my lease.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: vehicle registration county info - 10/12/15 06:09 PM

Technically the registration is supposed to match your driver's license and insurance address. But with the new registration/inspection fiasco, they're not looking real deep. Ive never had an inspection guy verify address before he starts. When you go to register it, walk in, pay cash, and they'll probably not say anything at all.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: vehicle registration county info - 10/12/15 06:27 PM

I have always been told it is supposed to be registered in the county in which it is used. I would go with your idea and keep quiet and doubt you will have any problems at all.
Posted By: Cast

Re: vehicle registration county info - 10/12/15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Shotgun Willie
Technically the registration is supposed to match your driver's license and insurance address. But with the new registration/inspection fiasco, they're not looking real deep. I've never had an inspection guy verify address before he starts. When you go to register it, walk in, pay cash, and they'll probably not say anything at all.

Really? How about folks that own property in different counties? Not opposing, just curious.
Posted By: Shotgun Willie

Re: vehicle registration county info - 10/12/15 10:09 PM

Just going by what the county told me, it's *supposed* to match your driver's license (primary residence). Like with your insurance, they base your rate off of your primary residence, as rates vary from county to county.

Now, whether or not the $9 an hour desk clerk is ever really going to say anything is another story. My FJ is still titled under my wife's name, and she passed almost 5 years ago. I take it in every year and get the registration without her name even being on the insurance card. Never been hassled.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: vehicle registration county info - 10/12/15 11:42 PM

I thought after so old, not sure how old, emissions was not done anymore. Might check into it.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: vehicle registration county info - 10/13/15 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
I thought after so old, not sure how old, emissions was not done anymore. Might check into it.

24 years old. They will still do a visual emissions inspection if they actually follow the methods. Been a licensed state inspector for a few years.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum