Texas Hunting Forum

Which deal is better?

Posted By: TexasLandAgent

Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 05:33 PM

Ok. I'm adding to the endless list of "which one to buy" threads but I'm looking for some input on two different machines from folks that know first hand.

2009 Ranger XP 700 w/700 hours and 2 year warranty
or
2014 Ranger 400 0 hours 6 mo warranty

Both are the same price at $8k+ TTL and both are "no frills".

What's the better buy do you think?
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 05:36 PM

The 700 by a long shot

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 05:38 PM

Are you sure you got the warranty's right? Is this a factory warranty? B2B or just powertrain? frame?

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Are you sure you got the warranty's right? Is this a factory warranty? B2B or just powertrain? frame?

on the 09' its a POLARISTAR PROTECTION PLUS extended. Aftermarket offered on special dealer inventory.

A. COVERED COMPONENTS

Repair or replacement of all factory-installed mechanical and electrical operating parts on the vehicle. Coverage includes fluids and labor when required as part of a covered repair. See Section 4, Exclusions.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 06:39 PM

Even with the extended warranty I would think thats alot of hours

JMO

'14 800 Crew EPS
'12 Kubota 1140

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: artrios60
Even with the extended warranty I would think thats alot of hours

That's what I was thinking. I'm worried the 400 is going to be a gutless wonder with bugs and gremlins no one's worked out yet since it's a barely out of service model.

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 08:00 PM

800 hours aint nothing for that engine. I got a Cub Cadet with a 18hp air cooled engine with more than that... you could get the 400 and have just as much to worry about with only a 6month warranty... is that all they offer on the new Rangers?

So the aftermarket warranty is it though an alternative place like Bttw? or Polaris itself.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 08:50 PM

Hours do not mean much to me. It is how it was driven (was it used as a tractor or bulldozer) and how the it was maintained. I have a 2007 Ranger 700 XP with just over 700 hours. I would take that older model all day long over the newer models with all the troubles people have had with the new ones. I ran Rangers to over 1800 hours and Mules to over 2400 hrs before trading them in on newer ones.

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/02/14 08:59 PM

POLARISTAR PROTECTION PLUS is the Polaris factory extended. Sales dude said it's only offered on "special program inventory"....or, (trade-ins they can't move for some reason and have been sitting on the lot too long). Looking at photos of the 700, I observed oxidation on the rims, random stickers all over it, paint job is dulled out; just looks like a well used sxs.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/03/14 01:10 AM

That what I meant with so many hours. Unless I new the person and how it was used putting those hours on it.
Just something that I would ponder
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/03/14 01:24 AM

I would rather buy new any day. If you need the power of the 700, I would rather have an older jeep. They are sturdier and cheaper on parts...also, cheaper to buy. Personally, I love my electric and will never go back to gas. If it were for farm work, it would be a different story.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/03/14 02:07 AM

When I bought mine I specifically looked for a 09 700...it's the only year with the new body style and not have the 800. The 800 had some issues that made me nervous.

I don't have 100 hours on mine but it's a good one and I like it. Might have to get rid of it if I can't find a duck lease this season. I'm not going to let it sit around this winter.

Saying all of that I'd go with the 700 over a 400...a 500 could suffice but not a 4. My 2 cents.

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/03/14 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: TexasLandAgent
POLARISTAR PROTECTION PLUS is the Polaris factory extended. Sales dude said it's only offered on "special program inventory"....or, (trade-ins they can't move for some reason and have been sitting on the lot too long). Looking at photos of the 700, I observed oxidation on the rims, random stickers all over it, paint job is dulled out; just looks like a well used sxs.

They needed to get rid of it and made a deal exactly... A good one too lol. You know how much hp is in a 400cc engine?

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/03/14 02:25 AM

You can dip the plastics on it.. I'd buy some spray paint and go to work grin
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/04/14 01:57 PM

I'd go higher motor for sure. We have a rhino 450 and while it still gets the job done I wish we would have gone bigger. Loaded down it just doesn't have any power.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/04/14 02:49 PM

I'd go higher motor for sure. We have a rhino 450 and while it still gets the job done I wish we would have gone bigger. Loaded down it just doesn't have any power.
Posted By: Turkeyman

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/04/14 03:18 PM

You won't be happy with a 400 ( no power), and you don't know for sure how the used one was treated It is six years old, and the warranty's are limited at best
Suggest you look at the new 2014 Yamaha 700 Viking . It's a better machine believe me. Check out the websites. If you still want a Ranger stop up to a 800 at least. I have been driving these side x sides since 2004 and have a good handle on them Good Luck
Posted By: Turkeyman

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/04/14 03:34 PM

Forgot to mention Website "See Dealer Cost.com will break down "Retail and Dealer Price" on the new 2014 Rangers and Vikings. The 800 Midsize Ranger has a Dealer Invoice Price of $9510 ( without EPS)or $10980 (with EPS)When you buy one of these make sure you get what you want. Otherwsie you will be kicking yourself

Posted By: bradtown

Re: Which deal is better? - 09/07/14 12:41 AM

700 all the way
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum