Texas Hunting Forum

Polaris Ranger 500

Posted By: DLALLDER

Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/01/13 11:08 PM

First let me make it clear that I AM NOT A MECHANIC, but I just found out that the Ranger 500 series has what is called a dry sump type of engine oiling system. I have always thought that that type of oiling system was bad news in arenas where you could be driving on a slanted surface, such as on the side of an embanment. Oil will all run to one side & engine does not get oiled and bingo you need a new engine. Someone fill me in the system in this brand and size of utv.
Posted By: bbqfan5909

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/02/13 12:10 AM

Got a Ranger 400 mid size for almost a year, no problems whatsoever and plenty of power.
Posted By: PhilR

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/02/13 12:55 AM

Extended time of running like that might be detrimental, but the normal stuff shouldn't bother it.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/02/13 01:19 AM

Dry sump system uses a remote tank or reservoir rather than an oil pan to store the oil.
1 oil pump pulls oil from the engine to the tank, the other oil pump pulls oil from the reservoir to lubricate the engine unaffected by slope, grade, g forces of turning, braking and acceleration.

Wet sump / oil pan type lubrication systems are affected when used in extreme conditions causing aeration, pump starvation and pressure loss up to oil starvation and engine damage.

All motorcycles with an oil tank are dry sump, nascar, F1, Indy, Le mans, NHRA funny cars and most pro level offroad racers, high end exotic / sports cars use dry sump systems.

Dry sump on an off road vehicle is a good thing.
You may be confusing non pressurized slinger type lubrication with dry sump.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/02/13 01:23 AM

It is a bad thing if small mesquite stump shaped like a pickaxe flips up into the side of reservoir and pokes a hole in it draining the oil as you drive. It will lock the engine up. Don't ask me how I know this bang
Posted By: DLALLDER

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/02/13 03:04 PM

Rustler, Thanks for your explanation, I feel better now about the Ranger 500. Daniel

Stxranchman, You need to move to East Texas, we don't have any mesquite here.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/02/13 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: DLALLDER
Rustler, Thanks for your explanation, I feel better now about the Ranger 500. Daniel

Stxranchman, You need to move to East Texas, we don't have any mesquite here.

Give them time they will find away to live under or with the pines.
Posted By: pse3

Re: Polaris Ranger 500 - 03/21/13 06:39 PM

wow
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum