Texas Hunting Forum

Big Siamese

Posted By: gary roberson

Big Siamese - 03/30/23 02:32 PM

Last Thursday morning Steve and I were calling coyotes in western New Mexico when this big kitty came to the FREQ ultrasonic game call. It took her about 20 minutes to get there and she came from two low hills about a half mile behind us. Steve was able to get approximately 2 minutes and 15 seconds of great footage as she circled, smelled and swatted the FREQ. You will be able to see this great footage on the next season of CARNIVORE.
Adios,
Gary[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Big Siamese - 03/30/23 02:36 PM

Very cool and she is a pretty kitty up
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Big Siamese - 03/30/23 02:40 PM

Wow, that had to be exciting to witness although I'm not sure I would want to be sitting that close to one looking for a meal.
What type of sound did it respond to?

Re: Big Siamese - 03/30/23 03:41 PM

I started with a high pitched grown cottontail and then went to what I call the Rogue Rabbit. Since I was calling coyotes, I always finish with Super Pup for if there's a coyote in the country that hasn't shown, this will make him appear.
I had played the Super Pup for about 15 seconds and waited a couple of minutes. Since I did not see anything, I turned my head to the left to look back at Steve when I saw motion. I left the call off and got Steve's attention as she was about 12-15 steps to his left. I wanted to make sure that Steve had her on camera before I turned the call back on as I knew she would go straight back to it.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: west-tex

Re: Big Siamese - 03/30/23 04:54 PM

FREQ ultrasonic game call never heard of it is it new?
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Big Siamese - 03/30/23 08:17 PM

You CAN’T post real mountain lions here…..you are going to confuse everyone!!!!

We only get pics that look like a Rorschach test!!!!!!!
Posted By: kry226

Re: Big Siamese - 03/31/23 10:47 AM

eeks333 coolpics
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Big Siamese - 03/31/23 03:12 PM

Wow

Gary, I guess you have to have a tag there in order to kill a lion unlike here in the great state of Texas?
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Big Siamese - 04/01/23 02:51 AM

coolpics
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Big Siamese - 04/01/23 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
Very cool and she is a pretty kitty up
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Big Siamese - 04/01/23 04:42 AM

Nice Cat elmer
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Big Siamese - 04/02/23 10:34 AM

Wow, nice.

Re: Big Siamese - 04/03/23 03:12 PM

Yes, I have been using prototypes for a couple of years. We are about to put into production in a couple of weeks.
Thanks,
Gary

Re: Big Siamese - 04/03/23 03:14 PM

Yes Sir, you need a permit in New Mexico. There is also a quota per unit and I think that it had been met in that unit.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: elcasador

Re: Big Siamese - 04/03/23 07:03 PM

Nice looking cat! Patiently waiting on the new call too

Re: Big Siamese - 04/04/23 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8
You CAN’T post real mountain lions here…..you are going to confuse everyone!!!!

We only get pics that look like a Rorschach test!!!!!!!

If you like the photo, you are really going to enjoy the video. And yes, you are correct, many of the pics are a little sketchy...
Adios,
Gary

Re: Big Siamese - 04/05/23 04:11 PM

After tweaking the photo rather than a photo of the computer screen with my phone, I found that this old girl is showing wear on her canine teeth exhibited by older predators.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: RiverRider

Re: Big Siamese - 04/05/23 04:39 PM

Very cool.

I nearly stepped on a coyote one afternoon out in the sandhills near El Paso and I don't know who was more surprised---me, or the coyote. That was pretty neat, but I don't think it could compare to being that close to a lion. Cats are awesome critters.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Big Siamese - 04/05/23 05:01 PM

cheers

Re: Big Siamese - 04/06/23 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by RiverRider
Very cool.

I nearly stepped on a coyote one afternoon out in the sandhills near El Paso and I don't know who was more surprised---me, or the coyote. That was pretty neat, but I don't think it could compare to being that close to a lion. Cats are awesome critters.

While my passion is calling and shooting coyotes, there is nothing as majestic as a mountain lion in the daylight in North America. I had a good friend who was a lion hunter/outfitter/rancher in NM and had been for 30 years. He told me the only lion that he had ever seen in the daylight was one that his dogs had put in a tree or bayed up on a rock. While we had approximately 2 and a half minutes of video, I watched her for over five minutes when she was within 40 yards. The closest that she came to me was about 20 steps and about 12 steps from Steve.
Adios,
Gary
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum