Texas Hunting Forum

Smoke em!

Posted By: Hirogen

Smoke em! - 03/18/23 10:11 PM

So the original plan was to head up to my place with a couple buddies and fish the last 2 days of the Nipissing Walleye Season (Closed March 15th). Well sometimes #$@% happens. Unfortunately one buddy had a serious family emergency and had to cancel. Than yours truly got #$%^&'d by the province when they dumped a surprise 2 day audit on me at one the water treatment facilities that my company operates. Audit was fine but it happened Monday and Tuesday meaning i was not able to facilitate the trip and had to cancel on short notice on the other buddy. I hate that.

Anyways i was able to take off the morning of the 15th and lines in the water just after lunch. Was a beautiful day but with just enough wind i put the shelter up. The Nip view on the last day of the season:

[Linked Image]

Bite was non-existent until about 5 pm. Than from that point until 745 pm i managed to ice 8 walleyes and lost a few to boot. They were remarkably consistent in size between 15 and 15.5 inches - just under the slot:

[Linked Image]

Did manage one keeper at 16.5 inches:

[Linked Image]

At dark i headed for the truck, loaded up and drove straight to the Super 8 in Kirkland Lake (200 miles further north and a season that is open until April 15th). Pulled in shortly after midnight. Hit the sack and slept until 9 than headed for Big Abitibi. Access is via a logging road for 15 miles and than 8 miles by snowmobile on a bush trail. It is a very shallow lake mostly between 8 and 10 feet deep which means there is only 5 to 7 feet of water under the ice. Had lines in the water just after lunch.

The Abitibi view:

[Linked Image]

The weather was warm and no wind so fished open air all day:

[Linked Image]

Bite was steady all day - mostly golden eyes - kept 20 of them to try on the smoker. They are no good to eat cooked conventionally but smoked they are supposed to be quite good:

[Linked Image]

And a few little gaffers like this:

[Linked Image]

Was planning on hitting Abitibi again Friday but weather man issued a winter storm warning with 20 inches of snow expected. Decided not to chance it as not sure the truck could manage that logging road with that much fresh snow and pulling the trailer. Not a good place to get stranded either especially solo - nearest cell signal is 20 miles away and even that is spotty. Nearest reliable cell signal is 35 miles away at the nearest town (Matheson). Hindsight says it was a wise choice as i left the hotel in Matheson Friday morning and driving south just managed to stay ahead of the road closures. Regardless all and all a fun few days.

Just finished preparing the 20 goldeyes about half an hour ago and got the first batch soaking in the brine in prep for the smoker. If they turn out as good as i hope i am gonna go back in 2 weeks and fill a barrel - no limit on these guys!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kry226

Re: Smoke em! - 03/18/23 11:07 PM

Awesome stuff, as always. up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Smoke em! - 03/19/23 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by kry226
Awesome stuff, as always. up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Smoke em! - 03/19/23 03:12 AM

That is greatness. I hope those fish turn out great and thank you for taking the time to post this Sir.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Smoke em! - 03/19/23 12:19 PM

Always enjoy your post, neat pics and great write ups up Another one for let us know how the Goldeyes turn out.

It is very interesting and intriguing the great lengths you go through and challenges you encounter to go hunting and fishing.
Heck it has to be a workout just getting all of your equipment/gear ready to go for each adventure.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Smoke em! - 03/19/23 01:02 PM

beats working!!! congrats
Posted By: 1955

Re: Smoke em! - 03/19/23 01:05 PM

Congratulations ! up
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Smoke em! - 03/19/23 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Always enjoy your post, neat pics and great write ups up Another one for let us know how the Goldeyes turn out.

It is very interesting and intriguing the great lengths you go through and challenges you encounter to go hunting and fishing.
Heck it has to be a workout just getting all of your equipment/gear ready to go for each adventure.

There are definitely easier options available but i love the challenge of getting to those places that few ever experience. I am also something of a loner and though i do enjoy the company of others there is something special about being way out there on your own where the mistakes and triumphs are 100% your own and further where the mistakes have consequences beyond not filling a tag (like the self rescue i had to pull off when i broke my leg a couple years ago). I think it is partly because there are no other hunters and fisherman in either my immediate or extended family so i didn't grow up in a culture where it was a social family thing.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum