Texas Hunting Forum

Just a beauty weekend

Posted By: Hirogen

Just a beauty weekend - 03/06/23 03:43 AM

Made it out for my 5th weekend of the season on the hardwater. Season is fast drawing to a close. Two more trips planned before the season wraps up. My original plan for the weekend was to head up Friday than fish Saturday, Sunday and head home Monday. Mother nature had different plans and we had a blizzard on Friday night that caused me to shift my plans by one day to head up Saturday and fish Today (Sunday) and Monday (tomorrow) than head home Tuesday.

Was just a gorgeous day with temps around 4 or 5 degrees above freezing, very little wind and sunshine. No slush anywhere just a perfect 3 inches of snow on the ice to make for by far the nicest riding conditions of the season yet. Given the perfect conditions i decided to ride out to the Goose Islands which are basically smack dab in the middle of the lake and 25 miles from where i get on the ice. Did not not bother with the shelter today as conditions were just too nice and was great to sit in the sun:

[Linked Image]

Views were amazing today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The fishing was average with 7 or 8 walleye all in the 14 inch range and the odd perch thrown in:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Heading out again tomorrow for the day and if i happen into anything worth mentioning i will update the post.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/06/23 03:58 AM

What’s the thickness of the ice?

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/06/23 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig

+/- 20 inches
Posted By: kry226

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/06/23 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Hirogen
Originally Posted by BigPig

+/- 20 inches

eeks333

Great pics as always. Thanks for sharing! up
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/06/23 02:15 PM

Beautiful to look at for sure.
Not so much to be out in if you are a southern gentlemen like me. lmao
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/06/23 05:40 PM

Nope.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/07/23 03:35 PM

How to you pick a spot to make hole and fish? electronics or just a natural feeling of "this is the spot"?
Beautiful for sure and complete solitude which makes good for the sole and mind...for a time.

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/07/23 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt
How to you pick a spot to make hole and fish? electronics or just a natural feeling of "this is the spot"?
Beautiful for sure and complete solitude which makes good for the sole and mind...for a time.

I pick my spots based on topographical charts of the bottom combined with weather and the date and years of experience - for example March is different than February and January as the fish are beginning to stage for the spawn. Lots of electronics available though and guys will use them to find fish and than use them to see what bait to use - me not so much. Pain in the %$^ to lug the extra gear around and the batteries needed to run them in the cold Bait wise i use what i know works for the given conditions and time of year.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/08/23 12:01 PM

If you would please post a/some pictures of your cooked fish.

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/08/23 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

As requested - Walleye fried in butter with a touch of salt and pepper - nothing else needed to make it taste fine:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Just a beauty weekend - 03/08/23 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hirogen
Originally Posted by Stub

As requested - Walleye fried in butter with a touch of salt and pepper - nothing else needed to make it taste fine:

[Linked Image]

Oh man I bet that cold water Walleye is to die for, looks fantastic thanks food
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum