Texas Hunting Forum

Just about my limit

Posted By: Hirogen

Just about my limit - 02/04/23 04:39 AM

Heading into the cabin tonight.

[Linked Image]

Add a 25 mph wind on top and than go ride the snowmobile open face for 25 minutes for God only knows what kind of wind chill and you end up looking like this:

[Linked Image]

Supposed to be -39 air plus wind and 6 inches of snow tomorrow when we (oldest son and I) head out to fish at dawn. We will git er done just not much margin for error when travelling 20 miles on the ice - gotta stay off the whiskey and remember the SpotX emergency beacon LOL. Wife says i am getting to old (i'm only 57) for this chit and she may be right but as long as i am able i will giver er.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 04:44 AM

loco
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 05:34 AM

Your ice-fu is very strong.

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by hetman
loco

Hetman - i really like your tagline. Not a Texan but fancy that i would have made a he## of a good one if born that way. Even as a child in Canuckistan Davy Crockett was a favorite historical figure of mine and pretty sure i wore that costume every year come Halloween. Needless to say i am an oddity in a country largely populated by mewling liberals. All that being said access to millions of acres of wilderness literally out my front door keeps me here.
Posted By: kry226

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 07:13 AM

eeks333 Dang, man. Be safe out there!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 08:49 AM

That made my face hurt…looks painful
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 10:59 AM

I'd take you on my side any day. Stay safe!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 11:25 AM

Hetman, ya gotta be a tough sucker to do that.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 12:28 PM

I admire your love for the outdoors but.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hirogen
access to millions of acres of wilderness literally out my front

I can only imagine this makes it worth a little frost in the beard. If work sends me up that way, I will take you up on your previous offer, even if the ice has melted. I just want to see the northern wilderness, and meet the man slightly older than me that can tolerate it. I've met other nuts before, but most are indoor nuts, not as interesting.
Posted By: decook

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 03:00 PM

Respect. Be safe out there.
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 04:15 PM

Grew up in the north. Ride sleds all winter checking trap lines and fishing the Mississippi River. We rode the sleds to the taverns to throw a few back and BS. Men grew a beard for a purpose not appearance. Always taste like snot and ice water when it thaws off and runs down. But sure saves a man’s face from freezing.
Most men don’t know what it takes to live like that. Better part of my life.

Much respect Sir.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Just about my limit - 02/04/23 04:24 PM

Much respect Sir.

The coldest I ever hunted in was -23 F which was plenty cold for this Southern boy. On pretty stong blood thinners now and dress like I did on that hunt now for a morning sit in a stand when it is 32 and still get cold. bang

Re: Just about my limit - 02/05/23 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
access to millions of acres of wilderness literally out my front

I can only imagine this makes it worth a little frost in the beard. If work sends me up that way, I will take you up on your previous offer, even if the ice has melted. I just want to see the northern wilderness, and meet the man slightly older than me that can tolerate it. I've met other nuts before, but most are indoor nuts, not as interesting.

Any time man. Love me an excuse to cut work and show someone around. Fishing was slow we managed 6 walleye. Typical day when there is cold and high pressure the bite often slows down. But like they say can't get it done on the couch. Barometer started to drop this afternoon and was snowing pretty good when we booked out at the end of the day in the dark. I am old school and typical navigate by dead reckoning and once in a while consult the compass. Well freely admit in the dark, wind and falling snow on the 20 mile ride back i missed the truck by 2 miles and had to get the compass out when i reached shore and didn't know where the he## i was. All good though just added 5 minutes to the ride.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Just about my limit - 02/05/23 12:01 PM

Been sitting here thinking about the differences in our life. That means how and where we’ve opted to spend our life. I could use up a lot of space on this but every damn one of us know the difference in your life and traffic jams.

Had to use a compass speaks volumes.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Just about my limit - 02/08/23 06:26 AM

If I lived up there my place would be easy to recognize, it would be the one with all the smoke coming out the chimney smirk from all the wood I'd be burning.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Just about my limit - 02/08/23 06:40 PM

OMG!

eek2

NOPE!!!!!!

Re: Just about my limit - 02/09/23 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by GUTIT
We rode the sleds to the taverns to throw a few back and BS.

We still do that but we are a dying breed my friend!

Re: Just about my limit - 02/09/23 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Been sitting here thinking about the differences in our life. That means how and where we’ve opted to spend our life. I could use up a lot of space on this but every damn one of us know the difference in your life and traffic jams.

Had to use a compass speaks volumes.

Yep. Very few people actually understand or have experienced the age old expression "the silence if deafening." Sometimes after a fall of fresh deep snow and the the wind has dropped to zero it can be so quiet that you would swear you are deaf - no noise at all. That being said the Friday night was actually pretty noisy as when it's that cold there are regular gun shot like sounds all night - actually being made as the sap in the trees freeze causing some of them to split.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Just about my limit - 02/09/23 01:36 PM

cheers now that's cold. We haven't hit them Temps yet this year.
Think -11 or -13 so far. Got high winds this morning.
That's what makes it so cold.

Was gonna go try a lake this morning,
bang rumor has it, some open water in that area,
Several springs on that lake.

Stay Safe.

flag
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Just about my limit - 02/09/23 05:13 PM

That's a big NOPE!
If it gets below 60 degrees, fishing aint even a consideration for me.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Just about my limit - 02/15/23 10:13 PM

Negatory ghost rider!
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Just about my limit - 02/16/23 12:03 AM

We need the OP and the Australian boar hunter guy to have a combined thread on their adventures

Some of my favorite threads on THF
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Just about my limit - 02/16/23 12:05 AM

If you ever get to Tx, message me

Id like to take you on a helluva pig hunting place ive got

Re: Just about my limit - 02/16/23 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by GusWayne
If you ever get to Tx, message me

Id like to take you on a helluva pig hunting place ive got

Will do! Same offer this side for whatever happens to be open.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Just about my limit - 02/16/23 11:44 PM

Ice fishing pics?

Re: Just about my limit - 02/17/23 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Ice fishing pics?

There is a fresh batch coming after this weekend. The icy weekend in the OP was okay (fishing wise) but nothing special in terms of fish caught - just cold as #$@!.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Just about my limit - 02/17/23 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
Ice fishing pics?

There is a fresh batch coming after this weekend. The icy weekend in the OP was okay (fishing wise) but nothing special in terms of fish caught - just cold as #$@!.

up cheers
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum