Texas Hunting Forum

Hay haulin

Posted By: TCM3

Hay haulin - 09/14/22 11:51 PM

Hauled 11 for a friend yesterday, and we're getting 30 rolls out of his cutting.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
whistle
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Hay haulin - 09/15/22 01:29 AM

I like the truck and trailer

Re: Hay haulin - 09/15/22 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

1998 Ram3500
My grandad bought it for a farm truck in 2002, I think.. with 64000 miles on it
Pulled many bales of hay and cows. Still going strong.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Hay haulin - 09/15/22 02:02 AM

I much prefer the big round bail method for hauling hay than the way we did it when I was much younger. Hauled a bunch of the small bails in the 70s
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Hay haulin - 09/15/22 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by TCM3

1998 Ram3500

Nice looking grass TCM3!

I like the way your rigged that lowboy trailer up.
But, is it rated for that much weight? 11 x 800/900 = 8800/9900 plus the trailer.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hay haulin - 09/15/22 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

1998 Ram3500

Nice looking grass TCM3!

But, is it rated for that much weight? 11 x 800/900 = 8800/9900 plus the trailer.

Why God invented ag plates!!! With its length it probably has 7k axles, so it might be a touch under max weight grin atleast that’s the story I’d tell

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 01:42 AM

1998 Ram3500

Nice looking grass TCM3!

My Grandad and a welder friend welded that up... they're both gone now....
Would've used my brothers 32ft Kearney flatbed, we can get 17 at a time with it, but one of the rear axle seals is shot and doesn't hold oil...
11 bales is the max we can carry at 1 time (obviously), but with the average hay bale it is under the weight limit, but close. i can't recall the total weight limit for the trailer though... it's on the registration/tag papers....
DPS doesn't seem to care. we have been stopped once loaded. Our license plate became obstructed by some net wrap and he said he couldn't read it, which was an easy fix.

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

1998 Ram3500

Nice looking grass TCM3!

Why God invented ag plates!!! With its length it probably has 7k axles, so it might be a touch under max weight grin atleast that’s the story I’d tell

yessir , east bound and down..... peep
roflmao

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 02:13 AM

Got the last 4 of 30, in today. Full hay barn for the winter. banana2

[Linked Image]
Posted By: T Bone

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 03:22 AM

We’ll be doing the same thing next week.. A full hay barn is a beautiful feeling this year!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 10:22 AM

Well Hay now up
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by kmon11
I much prefer the big round bail method for hauling hay than the way we did it when I was much younger. Hauled a bunch of the small bails in the 70s

Your comment made my back and arms hurt just reading it. I had a gooseneck trailer that would hold 300 square bales. Good thing my old 1/2 ton truck had air shocks, could bleed the pressure down and up from the cab.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

Your comment made my back and arms hurt just reading .

You ain't lying. Threw & stacked many a square bail in the early 90's. My first day hauling hay I didn't have any gloves, but got after it anyway trying to make a good impression. Man that wire sure tore my hands up lol. The skin on my hands separated from the meat.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hay haulin - 09/16/22 09:56 PM

Alfalfa bails are the devil!!!! They are the worst. They will make you man though.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Hay haulin - 09/17/22 01:06 AM

When I was your age we hauled 90 lb square bails on a 1942 2.5 ton flat bed and stacked them in the barn….made $0.075 a bale (7 1/2 cents) and was in high cotton!

Three of us. Line the truck up between four rows put it i. Granny and tie a rope to the steering wheel. One on the truck stacking and two throwing….

Get to the end of the field, turn it around and do it again….

Hard, hot, sweaty work but was told that it builds character….all these years later people are always telling my I’m quite a character so I guess it worked….. confused2
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Hay haulin - 09/17/22 01:42 AM

Angel hair Gold - you got there!

Re: Hay haulin - 09/17/22 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
When I was your age we hauled 90 lb square bails on a 1942 2.5 ton flat bed and stacked them in the barn….made $0.075 a bale (7 1/2 cents) and was in high cotton!

Three of us. Line the truck up between four rows put it i. Granny and tie a rope to the steering wheel. One on the truck stacking and two throwing….

Get to the end of the field, turn it around and do it again….

Hard, hot, sweaty work but was told that it builds character….all these years later people are always telling my I’m quite a character so I guess it worked….. confused2

everytime we haul hay, my dad reminds me of his days hauling square bales. Him and my uncle got paid by the bale, so they were all packed tight. about 90lbs, like you said.
And i think it's hard when a round bale isn't packed tight and the spear won't go in it. roflmao
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Hay haulin - 09/22/22 10:03 PM

Just wondering, how many square bales are in a round bale?
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Hay haulin - 09/22/22 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by copperhead

I always been told about 15 square bales per round bale. Don’t know if it’s true or not.
Posted By: Wool E. Booger

Re: Hay haulin - 09/22/22 10:15 PM

I know I got a nickel a bale when I hauled hay as a teenager. The payoff was when I went through boot camp in the army a few years later….push ups, sit ups and running miles at a time was easy for a young man from the hayfields. salute
Posted By: pnh

Re: Hay haulin - 09/22/22 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by copperhead

That's kinda like how long is a piece of string? The average square bale is 56 lbs. My round bales weigh 1500 lbs.
So that would be 25+ square bales to the round bale. 1000 lb round bale would be about 17.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Hay haulin - 09/26/22 07:24 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Hay haulin - 10/03/22 05:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Hay haulin - 10/03/22 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by bronco71
[Linked Image]

Nice! how long is your trailer?
I suppose your truck can handle that peep grin
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Hay haulin - 10/05/22 08:17 PM

40'... F550 with 7.3L Power Stroke with the big turbo....no problem pulling it at all
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Hay haulin - 10/07/22 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Wool E. Booger
I know I got a nickel a bale when I hauled hay as a teenager. The payoff was when I went through boot camp in the army a few years later….push ups, sit ups and running miles at a time was easy for a young man from the hayfields. salute

Same here WEB. Best part of finishing the job was taking a dip in the closest stock tank to get the chaff off before going home.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Hay haulin - 10/07/22 04:00 PM

cowboy up
Posted By: Kevin Heath

Re: Hay haulin - 10/07/22 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie

Same here WEB. Best part of finishing the job was taking a dip in the closest stock tank to get the chaff off before going home.

when I was a teenager, I loaded hay for my grandfather. our payoff at the end of the day was cash and an ice cold Pearl beer from the bottom of an old metal Coleman cooler!
I don't know if it was because we got beer from an adult as teens, or it was just cold and refreshing. But, no beer has ever tasted quite as good since!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Hay haulin - 10/07/22 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Heath
Originally Posted by spacejunkie

when I was a teenager, I loaded hay for my grandfather. our payoff at the end of the day was cash and an ice cold Pearl beer from the bottom of an old metal Coleman cooler!
I don't know if it was because we got beer from an adult as teens, or it was just cold and refreshing. But, no beer has ever tasted quite as good since!

We used to get a beer out of a keg inside an old International Harvester fridge in the barn. Tap was on the side. Never had a beer taste better than those.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum