Texas Hunting Forum

Rem 1100 I Restored

Posted By: PrimitiveHunter

Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/20/22 02:11 PM

I bought this Remington 1100 as a rust bucket restoration project. I lightly sanded the loose rust off and did a vinegar etch on it. I decided to leave it at the etch phase because it’s about as rust proof as steel can be. And it looks good. 😁

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/20/22 02:23 PM

Looking good now up
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/20/22 10:31 PM

Right on
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/20/22 11:02 PM

I like it.
Posted By: J Loves Huntin

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/21/22 05:45 AM

Loving it
Posted By: el Rojo

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/21/22 12:20 PM

Looking good.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/25/22 09:11 PM

what did you use to keep the flash rust from coming back? looks good
Posted By: JB1316

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/25/22 09:22 PM

That looks great. Way to go
Posted By: shumpertdavid

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/25/22 09:53 PM

I really like it
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/25/22 10:25 PM

I have a 20 gauge left handed 1100 somewhere I bought for mu daughter. It's a rust bucket too but shoots good. Think I paid $300 for it. Only problem I don't know where it ended up. Her Ex probably stole it .Dick
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/25/22 10:51 PM

cheers up Looks great!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/25/22 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by colt45

This. Is a vinegar etch just soaking in vinegar? Or do you do something else to it? What keeps the rust from coming back?

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/26/22 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

This. Is a vinegar etch just soaking in vinegar? Or do you do something else to it? What keeps the rust from coming back?

I’m not going to pretend to be a metallurgist but I did this about 8 years ago. I washed it with soap and water to get the vinegar off. I wiped it down with oil initially and have wiped it twice since then. I don’t shoot it much. Somehow the vinegar etch helps prevent rust but I don’t claim to know how.

The etching process just involves wrapping the metal with cloth (t-shirt) and keeping it wet by spraying it with vinegar for 4 days. If you do it, be sure you read up on it because you can ruin the gun if not. You have to fill all threaded holes with petroleum jelly or it will dissolve the threads. You have to fill all pin holes or it will etch the inside of the holes and your pins won’t stay in. Basically fill all holes or screw countersinks. You also don’t want it getting into the action of the receiver. Vinegar is a mild acid and it will mess up close tolerances.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/26/22 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by PrimitiveHunter
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I’m not going to pretend to be a metallurgist but I did this about 8 years ago. I washed it with soap and water to get the vinegar off. I wiped it down with oil initially and have wiped it twice since then. I don’t shoot it much. Somehow the vinegar etch helps prevent rust but I don’t claim to know how.

The etching process just involves wrapping the metal with cloth (t-shirt) and keeping it wet by spraying it with vinegar for 4 days. If you do it, be sure you read up on it because you can ruin the gun if not. You have to fill all threaded holes with petroleum jelly or it will dissolve the threads. You have to fill all pin holes or it will etch the inside of the holes and your pins won’t stay in. Basically fill all holes or screw countersinks. You also don’t want it getting into the action of the receiver. Vinegar is a mild acid and it will mess up close tolerances.

Yes, I knew it was a mild acid and could be used to strip away rust. I've never used in on a firearm because it would also strip away blue. I figured you'd have to re-blue or some other type of treatment other than just oil to keep it from rusting again.

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/26/22 09:07 PM

[/quote]
Yes, I knew it was a mild acid and could be used to strip away rust. I've never used in on a firearm because it would also strip away blue. I figured you'd have to re-blue or some other type of treatment other than just oil to keep it from rusting again.[/quote]

Well…bluing is just black oxide. It’s the black cousin of red oxide…regular old rust. Again, that’s just my understanding and could be wrong.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/27/22 05:32 AM

cheers have a 16ga 1100
flag
Posted By: twdjr

Re: Rem 1100 I Restored - 04/28/22 09:35 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum