Texas Hunting Forum

Axis Deer are Pretty

Posted By: JGL Hunting

Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/19/22 12:37 AM

Love hunting and watching these in the field. Also one of the best tasting animals IMO.

Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/19/22 12:48 AM

They sure are gorgeous critters
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/19/22 02:40 AM

Agree, beautiful
Posted By: Stub

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/19/22 11:40 AM

They are pretty & "tasty" up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/19/22 12:56 PM

Pure greatness. cheers
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/19/22 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
They are pretty & "tasty" up

Damn skippy!!!

I'll be on the lookout for one of these fellas when I go to feed that is for sure!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 06:43 AM

coolpics
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 03:25 PM

Beautiful animals
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 06:06 PM

pretty yummy
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 08:00 PM

By far my favorite type of Deer.
Posted By: salth2o

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 08:10 PM

Pretty tasty too!
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 08:58 PM

I agree! Just picked up an Axis hide from the local taxidermist.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/20/22 09:03 PM

Awesome !
Posted By: wolfehunter

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/22/22 11:22 PM

Eat good too.
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/24/22 12:50 AM

I agree they are beautiful animals.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/24/22 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by wolfehunter
Eat good too.

My favorite game meat...even if it has record book horns the first thing I think of when I see an Axis is how good it will taste chef
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/24/22 01:16 AM

Heard they dominate whitetail deer, is that just around the feeders or do they harass them in the field? They are nice to look at.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/28/22 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Heard they dominate whitetail deer, is that just around the feeders or do they harass them in the field? They are nice to look at.

On the ranches I’ve hunted with both species, I’ve noticed the whitetail will leave when the axis bucks arrive. Don’t know that I have seen the axis actively harass whitetail, but assume that’s why the whitetail leave.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/28/22 03:45 PM

As the years go by, and if you keep up with the articles being written about them, the term "invasive" is being used more and more. They're starting to be occasionally compared to what the aoudad are doing to the re-introduction of the big horn sheep efforts out west. That ain't good.

Shoot. Them.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/28/22 04:21 PM

Pure greatness. cheers
Posted By: don k

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/28/22 04:53 PM

They are a PITA if there are Bucks on both sides of the fence.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/28/22 07:15 PM

I’ve still never seen one in the wild
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/28/22 09:43 PM

Yup, pretty good looking critters, And I think we are starting to see way too many of them.

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/31/22 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Simple Searcher
Yup, pretty good looking critters, And I think we are starting to see way too many of them.

my son killed a nice buck on my lease saturday evening about 28" in full velvet. He was not quite topped out yet and likely would have been a little over 30 in another couple weeks but I don't care if he had 12" horns after eating fresh axis hamburgers last night!

Don't get me wrong because I love whitetails but I don't mind seeing them expanding their range each year! Nothing to me is as tasty as axis deer. And that buck yielded 67 lbs of boned out meat.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/31/22 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

my son killed a nice buck on my lease saturday evening about 28" in full velvet. He was not quite topped out yet and likely would have been a little over 30 in another couple weeks but I don't care if he had 12" horns after eating fresh axis hamburgers last night!

Don't get me wrong because I love whitetails but I don't mind seeing them expanding their range each year! Nothing to me is as tasty as axis deer. And that buck yielded 67 lbs of boned out meat.

I looked at several properties for sale in Kimble County. One agent commented that it might be possible in the near future for axis to out number whitetail in Kimble County.
Posted By: don k

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/31/22 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

I looked at several properties for sale in Kimble County. One agent commented that it might be possible in the near future for axis to out number whitetail in Kimble County.

I think they already are here in Bandera County along the river. A while back going to town I go along the river for maybe a half mile. I have learned the hard way that if you see an axis cross in front of you it is best if you stop and wait for the rest of them, An axis crossed the road and I stopped. I counted 75 of them cross. Right before town I cross the river. On the right there are a bunch of pecan trees. Normally there are what looks to be at least 50 under them.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 01/31/22 08:46 PM

great eating but sure tear up a whitetail habitat pretty quickly.

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 02/01/22 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Halfadozen
great eating but sure tear up a whitetail habitat pretty quickly.

Really? I've read that they don't really eat the same things that whitetail do.
Posted By: JGL Hunting

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 02/01/22 03:43 PM

They don't eat the same things per se - but it's everything else they do, including just moving as a herd, that typically will make the WT's move more or find new areas. Certainly not anywhere near as bad as wild hogs in terms of invasive species/damage but Axis are coming up.

Also +1 on the meat. I could eat Axis all year and be completely happy. Aside from Nilgai it's my favorite wild game.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 02/02/22 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by Biscuit
I’ve still never seen one in the wild

You should come spend some time in the hill country and south Texas. Some of the free range critters I’ve ran across in the last 6 years:

Axis
Fallow
Blackbuck
Waterbuck
Nilgai
Scimitar Oryx
Red Stag
Sika
Aoudad
Posted By: Exiled

Re: Axis Deer are Pretty - 02/03/22 03:22 PM

We have both axis and whitetail coexist well in small numbers at the ranch (Kimble Co.); where I think the whitetail sometimes get intimidated is when the axis roll into the feeder in large numbers. Axis bucks are definitely pretty aggressive all year long, especially with other species. I've seen Aoudad rams or big boars come in and try to push all critters off the feeder, but the mature axis bucks don't back down and usually hold their ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum