Texas Hunting Forum

Coon deterrent

Posted By: USMC89

Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:02 PM

I’m not sure if this is going to work but I had some 2x4 wire laying around and decided to make hopefully a Coon deterrent. Do y’all think it will work. I will know in a few days when I make it back down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:37 PM

Razor wire next time eeks333
Posted By: RTW

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:46 PM

I bet they just use that as hand and feet grips frown
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:47 PM

Put slinkies on the feeder legs cant climb them.
Also put out some Duke's dog proof traps. Unless there dead Thell keep coming back.
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:50 PM

Smear axle grease on the legs, that will stop them, and it is easy to do.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:51 PM

I certainly hope you never lose your balance or fall there. You must really hate them coons.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by fishdfly
Smear axle grease on the legs, that will stop the, and it is easy to do.

Short term fix once it rains and they figure out that a little mud on their body allows them to grit up the grease poll. Up they go. Don't ask me how I learned this...it was way back in the early 80's when I tried the grease.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 08:00 PM

"it was way back in the early 80's when I tried the grease." - mid forties?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by fishdfly
Smear axle grease on the legs, that will stop the, and it is easy to do.

Short term fix once it rains and they figure out that a little mud on their body allows them to grit up the grease poll. Up they go. Don't ask me how I learned this...it was way back in the early 80's when I tried the grease.

X2
Posted By: fishdfly

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 09:01 PM

It has worked well for us, grease.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 09:15 PM

Only thing that works is Varmint plate and 365/7 trapping

https://www.allseasonsfeeders.com/collections/ez-feeders/products/barrel-buddy
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RTW

^^This
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 09:25 PM

😎
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 09:48 PM

I haven't had any climbers this year with putting vasoline on the feeder legs each time I fill them.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:27 PM

They'll tear that right off. Trap and shoot.

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:31 PM

They have tore the timers off both of my feeders. I have since replaced the brackets with pieces of aluminum from tractor supply. They are sturdier than the plastic brackets that come with it for sure. [Linked Image]
Posted By: cullbuck

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:34 PM

I doubt it will stop the coons but may make deer hunting easier for the blind ones.

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:42 PM

I saw this on a pop up and thought why not🤷🏼‍♂️
[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:43 PM

Coons have nothing but free time on their hands...they will figure a way out to outsmart you when given enough time. Grease, PVC pipe, barbwire, carpet tacks, metal shrouds, varmint cages(unless huge in size), etc. are all bandaids that will do nothing to stop them....management is the key. Kill/trap as many as you can till their population is low enough that they do not need to the free food from your feeders.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:52 PM

Broken glass on top of the wall at boys' town seemed to work.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by RTW

yep
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/22/21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
Put slinkies on the feeder legs cant climb them.
Also put out some Duke's dog proof traps. Unless there dead Thell keep coming back.

I did slinkies on my year round feeders. At first it was working great and did for a while. Over the summer the coons destroyed the slinkings. Straightened out, bent up, and one even broken or bitten in two. Note I was seeing coons on the game cameras numbering sometimes up to 10 or more. I went back to using the cheapest axle/bearing grease I could find to put on the legs which I found holds up better than the Vaseline did in hot weather. It will last around 6 months before needing more added. I have also started trapping as many of the critters as I can. I believe the wire pictured at the start of the thread will only make it much easier for the coons to climb it.

Also your T posts are dangerous. If you fall off your ladder you could get impaled. Imagine that happening while your alone. Besides as long as those T posts are, they make it that much easier for your coons to climb. You could use shorter rebar or cut T post pieces and drive them in parallel to your feeder legs. Then wire them to the legs at the base. You only need a foot or two above ground. I like to use two or three radiator hose clamps and a cordless drill/driver to make it a fast, easy, and solid attachment.
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 12:57 AM

I’ve tried dang near everything. The best I’ve used is the basket type things that come with some feeders.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
I’ve tried dang near everything. The best I’ve used is the basket type things that come with some feeders.

I built baskets that are as big in diameter as the barrels using rabbit cage wire. At about 2foot diameter and 36" long, the coons could not reach the spinner plates.
Posted By: Kodyjoe2016

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 02:10 AM

Yep build big basket around bottom of feeder. We started using the spintech timers. They drop down to spin corn then go back inside so nothing can get to spinner. So far they work good
Posted By: JDH875

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 03:24 AM

Looks like it could work. I’ll be interested to hear how it does.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by RTW

This was my thought as well.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1
They'll tear that right off. Trap and shoot.

Yep,

Only two things that I have found to work long-term. But I live on my property and can devote the time to it. Others have to figure out different ways.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 05:38 AM

Don't mean to be a negative nancy but.....you just made their job easier. They will learn to climb on that within a few nights.

I've tried all of these things too.

If you want to slow them down you have to trap them every chance you get & don't get soft. You have to make it a mission to kill them.

Plates & guards are great too.

Posted By: maximum

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/23/21 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

. . If you want to slow them down you have to trap them every chance you get & don't get soft. You have to make it a mission to kill them.. . . .

Pretty much it ^ ^ ^ right there
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson

I built baskets that are as big in diameter as the barrels using rabbit cage wire. At about 2foot diameter and 36" long, the coons could not reach the spinner plates.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 01:56 AM

After building a big varmint cage as big around as the feeder barrel and sturdy the coons stopped even trying after about a week.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 02:09 AM

Trap them is the best way to go.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 02:29 AM

skinnerback wrote:
If you want to slow them down you have to trap them every chance you get & don't get soft. You have to make it a mission to kill them.

up

Yep, otherwise:

Posted By: der Teufel

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 04:23 PM

No pictures, but I took the upper half of a tomato cage wrapped with chicken wire and mounted it on the bottom of my feeder. That worked.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 04:54 PM

President Calvin Coolidge got a live coon for a gift.
Posted By: TonyLama

Re: Coon deterrent - 11/24/21 05:30 PM

We use to put vasoline on the legs then put cayenne pepper on the top one foot of the legs (7foot legs) made for some funny game cam photos but it helped
© 2022 Texas Hunting Forum