Posted By: kmon11

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 11:19 AM

Hard to tell but my guess is bobcat.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 11:20 AM

Bobcat.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 11:38 AM

that is what I was thinking other than he looks to be much larger than a bobcat - may just be the picture
Posted By: don k

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 11:58 AM

It has the markings of a Bobcat.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 12:17 PM

Bob
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 12:22 PM

Bobcat markings, Bobcat tail, Bobcat shape.... I think it's a juvenile Cougar. Yes. Definitely a mountain lion sighting.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 12:32 PM

Has to be a mountain lion, there are millions of them now. Little ranchitos in subdivisions are loaded with nowadays.

J/K Bobcat 100%
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 12:35 PM

BIG Bobcat
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 12:57 PM

It is without question a bobcat.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 01:27 PM

Bob.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 01:43 PM

Big ol' Bob
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 06:05 PM

Black panther!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 06:34 PM

Bob Cat
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 06:40 PM

robert cat
Posted By: freerange

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 06:55 PM

Looks like a Bob and does “appear” big but nothing in the pic to offer any reference for size.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Bobcat markings, Bobcat tail, Bobcat shape.... I think it's a juvenile Cougar. Yes. Definitely a mountain lion sighting.

CLEARLY A JAGUAR!!!!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 08:00 PM

Putty Tat
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 08:14 PM

Robert Gato
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 08:25 PM

Bobcat
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 08:39 PM

Bob for sure
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8

CLEARLY A JAGUAR!!!!

MNT LION!!! and I'll fight you over it!!
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 5Redman8

CLEARLY A JAGUAR!!!!

MNT LION!!! and I'll fight you over it!!

Hey…..it has spots!!!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 09:09 PM

Obviously a Bob and it is funny to hear the stories on them.

Live in a high density neighborhood in N. Dallas, there is a small creek to the west of us, a while back my wife said one of her friends who's backyard backs up to this creek saw a full grown Mountain lion walking along the bank. bs
I told my wife it had to of been a Bobcat but she said that they were positive it was a Mountain Lion muyloco

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

Live in a high density neighborhood in N. Dallas, there is a small creek to the west of us, a while back my wife said one of her friends who's backyard backs up to this creek saw a full grown Mountain lion walking along the bank. bs
I told my wife it had to of been a Bobcat but she said that they were positive it was a Mountain Lion muyloco

Ehhh...you never know.

Posted By: TCM3

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 10:41 PM

Robert Cat

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper

Ehhh...you never know.

That subdivision is right on the edge of the hill country and I bet there are plenty of deer that run around that neighborhood grill, no deer anywhere close to my casa.

If you exclude suburbs of major metropolitan cities that have deer running around, I bet the chances are pretty darn slim.

The only place in Dallas city proper I would think would have a chance at having a big cat would be around the trinity river bottoms or maybe White Rock creek below the dam that feeds into the Trinity river?
Posted By: txwildcat

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 11:02 PM

Ehhh...you never know.

That subdivision is right on the edge of the hill country and I bet there are plenty of deer that run around that neighborhood grill, no deer anywhere close to my casa.

If you exclude suburbs of major metropolitan cities that have deer running around, I bet the chances are pretty darn slim.

The only place in Dallas city proper I would think would have a chance at having a big cat would be around the trinity river bottoms or maybe White Rock creek below the dam that feeds into the Trinity river?

Yup, that is a couple of miles away from us and we are right on the edge of the hill country.

Back a couple of years, had some friends nearby in a sub division with multi acre lots and a runway. They told stories of hearing what sounded like a big cat at nite and found the remains of the deer the next day. I understand these cats have quite the range.

Back to the OP--definitely Bob the cat.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/18/21 11:38 PM

Our deer lease a few years back - after a big rain and going in the dark to my stand I crawled out after the hunt and I found a bunch of lion tracks all around my stand - gets your attention for sure

and NO that is not a collar around his neck - a reflection from the camera picture - we saw him live a couple of times

[Linked Image]

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/20/21 01:57 AM

Ehhh...you never know.

Leander is still very much in the Hill Country, just down 183 from Cedar Park....heading West out of Austin. Any and all property in Travis/Williamson Counties could be attractive to Mountain Lions,they've been there for many, many years. And Mountain Lions don't feed exclusively on Deer, so don't make that one of your requirements for their existence in any particular spot. wink

Re: Identify this cat?? - 10/20/21 01:32 PM

Ehhh...you never know.

Leander is still very much in the Hill Country, just down 183 from Cedar Park....heading West out of Austin. Any and all property in Travis/Williamson Counties could be attractive to Mountain Lions,they've been there for many, many years. And Mountain Lions don't feed exclusively on Deer, so don't make that one of your requirements for their existence in any particular spot. wink

Agree Mountain Lions do not feed exclusively on deer nor was I implying that, they are opportunity hunters (pigs, livestock, rabbits etc. and will scavenge animal carcass from road kill or?).
BTW right or wrong if I want to make something one of my requirements I will regardless, when you become one of the states leading authorities on mountain lions I will certainly take your advice, until then do not make your opinions a requirement of fact for anyone else's opinion rolleyes

My point is/was that deer are and have been a main food supply, where there is a lot of deer in an area there is a better chance that a lion might venture that way. nidea
With hogs spreading all over the state and into the suburbs where deer do not live, I would guess that has helped the mountain lion expand its normal ranges and population.

I guess technically Leander is in what is considered the hill country, the city itself isn't very hilly and most everything to its east is flat except a few pockets of hills, not what one thinks of as the hill country.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum