Texas Hunting Forum

Salt water tackle???

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 05:17 AM

What is this and how do you rig it? I would think that you tie the line to the weight end and a couple hooks off the “y” but the weight and float should be reversed. And the eye at the base of the “y”...what is that for.

I inherited it and can’t figure out how or what it’s used for. Haven’t found one in a store either....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 10:42 AM

Neat looking setup that allows you to add 3 baits to your line, question is what do you fish for with this, fish, crabs or?
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 10:58 AM

Pretty sure that's a surfcasting setup. The line is tied to the end near the weight. When you cast it out into the surf the bobber lifts up the end with the two sling swivels. Attach hooks to them and bait. I think the middle eye is missing it's snap. That would give you 3 hooks and bait. Here's the single hook version.
[Linked Image]

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 12:56 PM

That makes sense....thanks!
Posted By: 1955

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 01:04 PM

Interesting!
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 01:15 PM

If it is old, don't use it. It'll break when you have "the one" on the end of your line.

But it looks like the end with the weight will ride in the water, and I can't see tying 2 lines off on it. Maybe a bait below and one on the Y and it looks like several popping shrimp??
Posted By: Poppa

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 01:22 PM

kinda like a santee cooper rig for catfishin
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 02:05 PM

looks homemade. I made a few like that but with only 1 snap. Good for flounder fishing.

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 08:08 PM

I have two of them and had never seen anything like that before.

Thanks!
Posted By: BassBuster1

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 08:29 PM

I think it is a version of a bottom bouncer trolled slowly for walleye. Big weight end rides the bottom float holds two lines coming off the snap swivels so they are up and a bait like a leach is put on each hook. Swivel in the middle of the Y is tied to the rod.

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by BassBuster1
I think it is a version of a bottom bouncer trolled slowly for walleye. Big weight end rides the bottom float holds two lines coming off the snap swivels so they are up and a bait like a leach is put on each hook. Swivel in the middle of the Y is tied to the rod.

I see that turning into a ball of string that need to be cutoff. roflmao
Posted By: 68rustbucket

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 08:51 PM

Double ended speckled trout rig. Orange float is a popping cork. Probably homemade. I’ve only seen/used a single ended setup.
On the ends of the y would be a heavier shock leader with a hook. The single end goes on the end of your line, usually using a swivel.
I wouldn’t have that heavy weight on the line at all for specs. Maybe a couple split shots on the y leaders above a live shrimp.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Salt water tackle??? - 10/13/21 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 68rustbucket
Double ended speckled trout rig. Orange float is a popping cork. Probably homemade. I’ve only seen/used a single ended setup.
On the ends of the y would be a heavier shock leader with a hook. The single end goes on the end of your line, usually using a swivel.
I wouldn’t have that heavy weight on the line at all for specs. Maybe a couple split shots on the y leaders above a live shrimp.

Yes saw them a lot in Corpus Christi in 1970s/80s
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum