Texas Hunting Forum

Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year.

Posted By: jphunts6165

Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 02:37 AM

My grandfather in his younger days on a hunting trip. I cannot find the picture but there is another with the back row holding the other heads up. That is where the big ones are. I used to ask him about those trips when I was young. Still remember those stories. Created a lot of good memories with him and stories that will go down to my son. Wish there a few more of them shared on the forum, but a lot of people don’t due to fear. Here is to the whole THF and the upcoming season. Please Share with the rest of us that really enjoy hearing the tales.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 02:40 AM

Fantastic sir thanks for sharing
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by jphunts6165
My grandfather in his younger days on a hunting trip. I cannot find the picture but there is another with the back row holding the other heads up. That is where the big ones are. I used to ask him about those trips when I was young. Still remember those stories. Created a lot of good memories with him and stories that will go down to my son. Wish there a few more of them shared on the forum, but a lot of people don’t due to fear. Here is to the whole THF and the upcoming season. Please Share with the rest of us that really enjoy hearing the tales.

[Linked Image]

Why would anyone hold back a story on the THF due to fear?
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 04:51 AM

Whaaaaaat ????? No camo ?????? grin
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 09:35 AM

Look at the overall "shape" those guy are in. Bet there would be more poundage in most photos taken this day.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 10:44 AM

Cool pic ! up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1955
Cool pic ! up
Posted By: smokewagon84

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 11:26 AM

cool pix , i like the hats!
Posted By: tlk

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 11:39 AM

I am guessing from the 1950's? Love the pic
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
Look at the overall "shape" those guy are in. Bet there would be more poundage in most photos taken this day.

Yep no one was fat and no camo needed.
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 12:30 PM

That buck on the left head down, you can tell he's a big one.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 05:26 PM

That is a great pic! Thanks for sharing

Fear of what OP????
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 05:44 PM

Awesome pic!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 05:47 PM

cheers Great pic with a lot of memories for those involved. Old pics were always taken as a group and not individual hunters, like today. It was more about the experience and success of them as a group.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone

times were lean
Posted By: tlk

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
cheers Great pic with a lot of memories for those involved. Old pics were always taken as a group and not individual hunters, like today. It was more about the experience and success of them as a group.

True - and there was no "management" - hunters were after meat and if it had nice horns on it then all the better - also there were no meat processors other than the men who shot the deer - I remember my Dad in the 1950's would even cut the "meat" out from between each rib! Different times for sure
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 10:12 PM

Great pic! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 09/30/21 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by tlk
I remember my Dad in the 1950's would even cut the "meat" out from between each rib! Different times for sure

LOL, I still do that. Ribs are either de-boned and added to the sausage pile, or thrown on the pit for a snack.
Posted By: jphunts6165

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

Fear of what OP????

Have known quite a few hunters ( especially newer ones) that read the forum, but won’t join or post because they think their deer is too small/young or someone might ridicule them for such. They would rather read. There are few threads that usually that would wind up in the bunker that stop those guys/ girls. The ones where if you don’t have unlimited budget or such acreage or days hunts. High/low fence and Ect

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by tlk
I remember my Dad in the 1950's would even cut the "meat" out from between each rib! Different times for sure

LOL, I still do that. Ribs are either de-boned and added to the sausage pile, or thrown on the pit for a snack.

I still do it also if I doing my own processing. I also like to take ribs off of younger does/bucks and cut them along one side next to the bone. Leaving a single rib with some meat on the bone. I will add spice then turn them in cornmeal and deep fry them. They are really good. I have done many of them and had people not want to try them...then after they do they end up saving the ribs to fry off of the next deer. We did it a lot when BBQ and a disc cooker that we could fry them in.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 08:51 AM

Ah man those stories, must be legendary. Anything to sit round a fire in a hunting camp in the early 50s and 60s.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 11:27 AM

I realize those classic deer camp days are probably gone for good. How come nobody "has time" for those kind of hunts anymore, but I'd bet you a lot of those guys in the pictures usually worked 6 (or at least 5&1/2) days a week?

I can't help but feel like we've lost something over the years.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by tlk

Great pic thanks for sharing up

I have deboned two deer all of the way including the meat between the ribs for jerky, probably will not do the between the ribs again.

Saw a neat meat eater series yesterday "Lone Star Whitetails" with game chef Jesse Griffiths where he took the thin meat against the ribs that most people throw away and made a killer roll up dish with it.

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

True - and there was no "management" - hunters were after meat and if it had nice horns on it then all the better - also there were no meat processors other than the men who shot the deer - I remember my Dad in the 1950's would even cut the "meat" out from between each rib! Different times for sure

Oh man tlk, you should have seen the carcass when my old man was done with it. It looked like the buzzards had worked on it all week long. OMG he would get every speck of meat off it. lmao

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 12:27 PM

Fear of what OP????

Have known quite a few hunters ( especially newer ones) that read the forum, but won’t join or post because they think their deer is too small/young or someone might ridicule them for such. They would rather read. There are few threads that usually that would wind up in the bunker that stop those guys/ girls. The ones where if you don’t have unlimited budget or such acreage or days hunts. High/low fence and Ect

That's a shame.
I am one who believes in management to the best of your ability but wouldn't ever ridicule anyone. I'm happy for anyone who gets an animal especially when it is a young hunter or someone who hasn't taken many deer before.

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by tlk

Oh man tlk, you should have seen the carcass when my old man was done with it. It looked like the buzzards had worked on it all week long. OMG he would get every speck of meat off it. lmao

Soup was made from the leg bones sometimes.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Old time hunting trip, and lots of good ones this year. - 10/01/21 04:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Any idea what year that was?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum