Texas Hunting Forum

A few pics from yesterday evening...

Posted By: stxranchman

A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 01:23 PM

With cooler temps from the rain shower in the area, the temps were tolerable. The clouds kept the sun hidden all evening and the deer moved earlier. With the darker lighting, I decided to edit these photos in filtered B&W. I like the later summer to watch how the deer interact with each other going into the early fall. A lot of the bucks are just about done growing antlers while a few look like they will grow right up till right before they shed the velvet.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 01:24 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 01:38 PM

Wonderful pics as always! Thanks for always sharing!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:03 PM

Need to whack that big 7.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bobcat1
Wonderful pics as always! Thanks for always sharing!
Posted By: 1955

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:26 PM

Awesome pics thanks for sharing!

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Need to whack that big 7.

He was an 8 last year.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:45 PM

Pretty deer and great pics up
Posted By: PMK

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:55 PM

very nice pictures and animals!!! up
Posted By: don k

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 02:58 PM

Great pictures and some really good Bucks
Posted By: ErikL

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 03:02 PM

Great looking deerđź‘Ťđź‘Š
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 03:10 PM

What age do you have on the 10?

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
What age do you have on the 10?

Which 10?

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 03:30 PM

On the left
[Linked Image]

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 03:46 PM

On the left
[Linked Image]

At times I will call him 5... others times I see 7 on him and will know more after he sheds his velvet and starts to muscle up. He has the body characteristics of a mature to post mature buck. One the of the previous lease hunters was out Friday and had some pics of bucks he saw last year and passed on. This buck looked mature last and after seeing those pics, I would have to guess he is older than what I first thought. The other 10 I have called him a 7yr old since I first saw him.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 03:55 PM

the one in the middle? 3?

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 04:09 PM

the one in the middle? 3?

Don't think he is that old...2 max but leaning more to a healthy 1 yr old. Two of the guys who hunted in this pasture fed protein for the last 4 yrs.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 04:18 PM

I don't recall too many younger kids running around with the old fellas.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 05:13 PM

I’m going to need you to feed that 7 some more, I need him to up his mass. That’s my next set of rattling horns grin

Great pics always
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 05:25 PM

Great photos and great deer. Thanks for sharing.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 05:42 PM

I don't recall too many younger kids running around with the old fellas.

They are there just not in the pics as much. The last 3 yrs were not the best for fawn crops so the numbers of younger bucks is on the low end.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 06:25 PM

I know you can't help but run around with younger bucks, but that is different.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 06:29 PM

Great pics. Keep'em coming up

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 06:31 PM

A lot of mature bucks will have a "toadie" running interference for them...they will be the first one to check out the situation usually...they will be sacrificed if danger is present. grin

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 06:32 PM

Thanks again everyone cheers

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
A lot of mature bucks will have a "toadie" running interference for them...they will be the first one to check out the situation usually...they will be sacrificed if danger is present. grin

Smile mine.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 06:43 PM

Nice bachelor group you have there.
Posted By: Jroutdoors

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 07:25 PM

Very nice
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 08:42 PM

Nice!!
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 11:25 PM

Great pics. Did I see on another thread that you're a hill country man now? Or am I imagining things.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/17/21 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor
Great pics. Did I see on another thread that you're a hill country man now? Or am I imagining things.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 12:43 PM

Awesome pics and great bucks up
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Originally Posted by Grosvenor

[Linked Image]

What in my whole wide world?
confused2
Posted By: tlk

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 12:58 PM

great stuff!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
Awesome pics and great bucks up

up
Posted By: Marc K

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 01:13 PM

Beautiful work. I do like the B&W presentation very much.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 03:31 PM

Thanks again everyone cheers
Originally Posted by Marc K
Beautiful work. I do like the B&W presentation very much.

I like it also, it was a change from color and the dark, overcast day was not the best for color in dry grass.
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 04:13 PM

Incredible pictures and beautiful bucks. I'm floored by the quality animals you have there on your new place.

stxrm, what is the story with the big framed 7? He looks like his body condition is not all that great in a couple of the pics. Is he post mature?

Also, I'm hoping the big 10 on the left in most of the pics is only 5 because if so, he could really be something to see in a couple more years with the feed program you are implementing!
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 05:23 PM

Awesome pics. I love black and white photos

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS
Incredible pictures and beautiful bucks. I'm floored by the quality animals you have there on your new place.

stxrm, what is the story with the big framed 7? He looks like his body condition is not all that great in a couple of the pics. Is he post mature?

Also, I'm hoping the big 10 on the left in most of the pics is only 5 because if so, he could really be something to see in a couple more years with the feed program you are implementing!

The big 7 is an aggressive buck around some of the older bucks and then passive around other bucks. He showed up about 2 months ago and was not in real good shape. He has an impacted jaw and it makes him look even older. I met one of the guys who hunted that pasture on Friday and he showed me some pics of deer from last year and I recognized a couple right away....this 7 was an 8 last year with short brows, shorter beams and shorter G3's last year. He was mature looking last year but not post mature. At times he looks 7+ this year. The narrower taller 10 was a 10 last year and made a small jump this year...5%-7% is what I would guess from a quick glance at a photo on a phone. He has a smaller body but he looked to be either 4 or 5 last year.
Posted By: freerange

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 05:39 PM

Great photos an great bucks. Really impressed with antler size. Trying to get a feel for your new place for future age/score. What do you think average mature field dressed weights would be? I guess there was some protein fed in past but not a lot..?? Have you said anything about neighbors property size and hunting/management?

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Great photos an great bucks. Really impressed with antler size. Trying to get a feel for your new place for future age/score. What do you think average mature field dressed weights would be? I guess there was some protein fed in past but not a lot..?? Have you said anything about neighbors property size and hunting/management?

Not sure on the weights as the hunters I spoke with last Friday could not remember what the buck he killed last year weighed. He scored around 137 gross as either a 4x5 or 5x5 with split brows...so 11 or 12 points. He was 18" inside also. I would guess 110-125lbs on mature bucks dressed weights. There was 2 of the 4 guys who hunted that pasture of 320 acres(that I own 300 acres of) that fed protein only during the antler growth period. They have fed in that pasture the last 3 or 4 yrs. They lived 4.5 hrs away so filling feeders when empty was not that easy for them. They went to larger feeders last year or two so it kept feed more readily available. They killed 5 or 6 bucks over 130 in the last 5 or 6 years. One 5x6 typical was tall and narrow that scored around 140. The did not kill near enough does and I plan to change that ASAP. Along with culling some bucks since there are just to many deer period. That area of the county is one of the higher deer density areas in the Hill Country. My neighbor to the north I bought from is around 700 acres with 3 hunters now, to the NE/east is 700 acres, E/SE is 530 acres, to W/NW is 850 acres(hunted and managed), to the W/SW is 550 that is managed and feed protein and one neighbor to the south is1500 acres that is HF. The rest is all LF around me. No road frontage for me. I have heard that to my west they have killed deer in the 150-165 range in the past. The pasture I bought was part of a 1000 acres that had 10 hunters and allowed to take 20 bucks per year and they shot 20 bucks per year(a lot of young upper end deer killed also), but I still have a lot of mature deer and what I consider good hill country deer. Now the hunters on the 700 acres to my north will only be 3 or 4 and are feeding protein, shooting mature bucks only. More selective hunters. I need to convince them to shoot some more does and culls. Any deer shot is a number, the more numbers the better we will all be in the long run. I saw a herd of 15-18 bucks 1.75 miles to my north last week on Monday evening. 5 were in or almost in the county road...those 5 were all 8+ on points..one basket racked 4x4 with 8" brows and long tines, one either 4x4 or 5x5 was the widest at 18" or so and 10-11" G2s, one 5x5 with good G4s and 17" IS, one 5x5 that was taller and around 15" IS or so, and one either 5x6 or 6x6 that was narrow but really good tines all around....all of these bucks were 120's to upper 130's. There was a larger ground about 100 yards off the road behind them that had 2 more bucks in the group. I was told by a landowner that neighbors the ranch I saw these bucks on that there was really large buck in that group...said he has never seen a buck that size there(he grew up there). So, all in all I think I bought a really good place in a great area with great neighbors. I am going to have fun and enjoy seeing deer. I know many will get shot but most of them will make it to the next year...just to many deer right now.
Posted By: VMike

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 08:45 PM

Great Pics...Thanks for Sharing!!!
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 10:02 PM

Your going to be very busy watching all those deer. Congrats on the new place.
Posted By: twdjr

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 10:05 PM

coolpics

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/18/21 11:01 PM

Thanks for the extra info. It will be fun for you and fun for us as you keep us posted through the years. It seems like really good Hill Country deer there and what you will do will make it better.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/19/21 01:04 AM

A few from past 15 minutes or less...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/19/21 01:25 PM

Thanks for the extra info. It will be fun for you and fun for us as you keep us posted through the years. It seems like really good Hill Country deer there and what you will do will make it better.

^^^^^^^^^^^THIS X 2^^^^^^^^^^^^

I can't wait to see what stxrm does here with his place.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/19/21 01:26 PM

Those pics from yesterday evening are amazing man!!

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/19/21 03:24 PM

You guys are setting the bar pretty high.

Re: A few pics from yesterday evening... - 08/19/21 03:32 PM

You guys are setting the bar pretty high.

No hill for a stepper. Kinda like telling the Hudster you think his sausage is gonna be good.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum