Texas Hunting Forum

No rats or mice in the barn

Posted By: angus1956

No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 12:42 AM

Found these under a work bench today, I guess there doing their job keeping the critters in check. Almost 6' is a good rat snake.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: yotehater

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 12:52 AM

Good guys there.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 01:13 AM

I need to borrow one to put inside my Tundra. A packrat has moved in. I put out poison, but I went to town the other day and, while filling up, briefly saw the tell-TAIL evidence that he is still very much alive. No scat the last few days and he's avoided 2 glue traps, but I need to make sure he's made boarding arrangements elsewhere.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 01:24 AM

πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 01:29 AM

Good snake. cheers
Posted By: 1955

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 02:56 AM

up
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/04/21 04:38 AM

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 12:47 PM

Good roommates to have up
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Good roommates to have up

smile ani
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 02:25 PM

😳
Posted By: TCM3

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 02:49 PM

We have one in a storage building...never seen him, but we find a skin every now and then.
Never seen a rat in there.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
I need to borrow one to put inside my Tundra. A packrat has moved in. I put out poison, but I went to town the other day and, while filling up, briefly saw the tell-TAIL evidence that he is still very much alive. No scat the last few days and he's avoided 2 glue traps, but I need to make sure he's made boarding arrangements elsewhere.

Lots of glue traps. We had 25 in my wife's Explorer. It was a PITA for her to have to move the ones in the driver's floorboard to drive...but after catching 4 mice...I'm confident we got 'em all. We tried just a few at first with no luck.
Posted By: JCO

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 04:20 PM

Good snakes for sure but they will still make you jump around a bit when surprised by one.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by JCO
Good snakes for sure but they will still make you jump around a bit when surprised by one.

The snake that makes you hurt yourself.
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/05/21 08:54 PM

They don't like the smell of Irish Spring. Consider switching from Dove when you shower or just cut some chips off and put them in your vehicle. Park over a bar and replace it from time to time.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 03:24 AM

Got one that patrols my hay barn. Good snakes for sure.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 11:42 AM

Lucky you. I'd love to have rat snakes in my shed. I just don't want a heart attack.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 12:27 PM

Tom Cat rat trap with peanut butter……..
Posted By: angus1956

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Lucky you. I'd love to have rat snakes in my shed. I just don't want a heart attack.

Gary,
Seen a smaller one in the barn but not these big boys. Just have to be snake aware when in the barn digging around.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 03:50 PM

good job
Posted By: kwrhuntinglab

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 04:24 PM

Use the old fashion trap with a little peanut butter....
Posted By: Larry2019

Re: No rats or mice in the barn - 07/06/21 08:19 PM

Go buy a bag of mothballs (cheap at Dollar General) and place some under your hood or in the vicinity of the packrat nest. Might have to anchor them inside a baggie with holes in it.

Rats/squirrels hate mothballs and will move out pretty quickly.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum