Texas Hunting Forum

Cotton mouth??

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:28 PM

I wasn't sure on this one. Head was triangle shaped, but the rear jaw area was more squared at the corners. A rattle snakes head is more rounded at the corners in the rear. I wasn't sure.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:29 PM

Ask him to say Ahhhhh!
Posted By: NOCOOLNAMETOO

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:30 PM

Banded water-snake

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by NOCOOLNAMETOO
Banded water-snake

I was thinking this.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:36 PM

touch it with a stick and see if it plays dead. Could be an eastern hog nose snake.
Posted By: barndoor

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:36 PM

Look like a cotton mouth to me. Is he dead?

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:43 PM

Oh no, he was very much alive. We were bass fishing at a local pond and I came across him. I thought he was a cotton mouth at first, but I'm not 100%. The cotton mouth's and regular water snakes I have the most trouble telling the difference on. What are the big differences to distinguish between the two?
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
Oh no, he was very much alive. We were bass fishing at a local pond and I came across him. I thought he was a cotton mouth at first, but I'm not 100%. The cotton mouth's and regular water snakes I have the most trouble telling the difference on. What are the big differences to distinguish between the two?

That depends on how close you want to get. If you cant already tell by the patterns, Water snakes will have very distinct vertical lines on the mouth, no pit. A cotton mouth will have a hood over the eye that keeps you from seeing the eyeball if looking directly from the top and obviously a pit just like a rattlesnake.
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 07:59 PM

I lean to water snake.
Main thing I've noticed with Cottonmouths are their necks are slender compared to their body and head size as well as their tail.

About how long was he?
Posted By: pdr55

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 08:43 PM

Got the stump tail like a CM. Just saying.
Does it smell bad ?
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 08:50 PM

Banded water-snake

I was thinking this.

X3
Posted By: JCB

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 09:40 PM

Water Snake.

Almost every Cottonmouth I see in the DFW area is nearly solid black. In the rare instance I see one with markings its usually much more faint than the one in the pic. I probably see 25 Water Snakes of various kinds to every 1 Cottonmouth so I think Cottonmouths are much more rare in these parts than people think. With that being said I will probably get bit by a Cottonmouth tomorrow. LOL
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 11:45 PM

Banded water-snake

I was thinking this.
Posted By: 1955

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/08/21 11:49 PM

Looks like a water snake to me
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/09/21 02:40 AM

100% Banded Water Snake.
Posted By: Giblett

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/09/21 12:11 PM

The main question is it dead?

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/09/21 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Giblett
The main question is it dead?

rolleyes

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/09/21 01:37 PM

Every cottonmouth I have ever encountered.....and it’s been several....was extremely docile. And almost every single water snake I’ve encountered has been very, very aggressive..... 2cents

Most people don’t know the difference and call them all cottonmouths.....

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/09/21 01:39 PM

Also a lot of water snakes will flatten their head and spread their jaws trying to imitate a cottonmouth.....
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/10/21 12:21 AM

Water snakes are fun to watch, me and my brother spent a weekend fishing on our big pond last year, and there were about 4 water snakes in the pond and they'd be booking it across from one side to another, and a few minutes later they come back across, sometimes they'd look at the boat and come up close to it, then turn around and head for shore...neat suckers.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/10/21 12:41 AM

That is a very fat body compared to its length. Thats one tell tale sign of a poisonous snake compared to a non venomous snake. About the only way to tell from that far. That one may have gotten the judge.

Very difficult to tell but the water snakes i see usually aren’t that plump in the body and if they are its a very obvious bump from a fish or something.
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/10/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback
100% Banded Water Snake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/10/21 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Southtexas36

That depends on how close you want to get. If you cant already tell by the patterns, Water snakes will have very distinct vertical lines on the mouth, no pit. A cotton mouth will have a hood over the eye that keeps you from seeing the eyeball if looking directly from the top and obviously a pit just like a rattlesnake.

Best description on the thread. I kill both because they both eat my fish.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/12/21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
That is a very fat body compared to its length. Thats one tell tale sign of a poisonous snake compared to a non venomous snake. About the only way to tell from that far. That one may have gotten the judge.

Very difficult to tell but the water snakes i see usually aren’t that plump in the body and if they are its a very obvious bump from a fish or something.

A healthy Banded Water Snake (which is what that snake is) can dwarf a Cotton Mouth. I wouldn't use a 'stout' body as a diagnostic tool for distinguishing a venomous snake from a 'non'. Too many variables...not the least of which are age, health and environment of the snake.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/12/21 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Every cottonmouth I have ever encountered.....and it’s been several....was extremely docile. And almost every single water snake I’ve encountered has been very, very aggressive..... 2cents

Most people don’t know the difference and call them all cottonmouths.....

Yeah, water snakes seem to go out of their way to be jerks. Kind of like wasps.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/12/21 04:43 PM

Seeing how chunky he is and has those bands, seems to be a Cottonmouth to me. Don't tick it off. Those stupid things will chase you.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/12/21 07:39 PM

100% banded water snake. I kept snakes for about 10 years. It is not unusual at all for this species to be very chunky and quite large. That is not a way to tell a venomous from non venomous snake.Banded water snakes are both common at my home in Victoria county and in East Texas where I have some land. They are one of the most likely snakes one will see in ponds and creeks.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/12/21 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

my thoughts too. wish you would have messed wit so we could tell fo sho
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Cotton mouth?? - 04/12/21 08:40 PM

It's actually pretty easy to tell the difference between a Banded Water Snake, a Diamond Back Water Snake, and a Water Moccasin if you know what to look for. All 3 of these species will vary in color and sometimes a little in pattern depending on the area of the State, but it's still not that hard to tell them apart. We have high populations of all three species around here, and I would say that 8 or 9 times out of 10 folks that think they killed a Cotton Mouth ended up killing a water snake. The Diamond Back Water Snake is more commonly confused with the Moccasin in these parts.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum