Texas Hunting Forum

Snake ID

Posted By: Defndr

Snake ID - 04/06/21 03:13 AM

Pulled this old mower out of the trees and found this snake under the hood. Anyone know what it is?

Attached picture E53A23A4-62E1-4143-8B30-E357BB64F1E8.jpeg
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 03:56 AM

From the picture, looks like a rat snake. Good snake. Hope you let him live.
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:07 AM

It’s a Ford 100 pit viper.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:24 AM

Yep its a rat snake. Good snake to have around.
Posted By: Texican

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by SouthWestIron
Yep its a rat snake. Good snake to have around.
Posted By: ErikL

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 05:00 AM

agree, rat snake
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by ErikL
agree, rat snake
Posted By: Greg

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 07:23 AM

Quick way to ID a rat snake is that it looks like a chain link fence. Good snake have around.
Posted By: BbarVRanch

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 08:46 AM

I disagree about them being so good to have around, if you have chickens, try to have some quail or other native birds.

Caught them stealing large amounts of eggs, killing baby nesting birds, etc.

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 01:22 PM

Thanks for the quick ID. I really dislike snakes but don’t want to kill beneficial ones if I can help it.

He crawled further down into the mower so I’ll give him a day or two to move on.

I just bought some baby chicks the other day so if I see him around after they are out in the coop I may have to do something different.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 02:41 PM

best mouse trap ever
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
best mouse trap ever
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:18 PM

Texas rat snake! Found three of them in one of my blinds over the last year, so I finally insulated the blind with that foam stuff. Harmless but sometimes bad tempered!
Posted By: Matt

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:23 PM

It's the kind that could make a grown man holler out loud when he open's the hood of the tractor and sees that laying there!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by colt45
best mouse trap ever

Expert opinion.

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Matt
It's the kind that could make a grown man holler out loud when he open's the hood of the tractor and sees that laying there!

That’s exactly what happened. LOL.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 05:14 PM

That gas tank would have some holes in it if that ever happened to me.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 06:02 PM

Wait till you open the car hoods and a rattler on the old oil bath cleaner strikes at you.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 09:38 PM

It’s that time of year
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Defndr
Originally Posted by Matt

That’s exactly what happened. LOL.

clap
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Snake ID - 04/06/21 11:17 PM

See?
Posted By: Blank

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 12:08 AM

My hunting partner is down in Matagorda with our friends, to do some fishing. Sent me a not-too-good picture of a big buzz worm, didn't feel like tempting fate and getting close or in the open. I hate it when you run into these rattle bugs up about waist high in a bush!! Choot 'em!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by ErikL
agree, rat snake

+1
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Blank
My hunting partner is down in Matagorda with our friends, to do some fishing. Sent me a not-too-good picture of a big buzz worm, didn't feel like tempting fate and getting close or in the open. I hate it when you run into these rattle bugs up about waist high in a bush!! Choot 'em!!

[Linked Image]

rifle
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by BbarVRanch
I disagree about them being so good to have around, if you have chickens, try to have some quail or other native birds.

Yep, if we want quail to have a chance to come back, that critter is hurting the cause.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 02:08 AM

[Linked Image]

Or you could just let them be, go around them. Rattlesnakes are not aggressive. You're in their house.

Around my house is different. Have kids in yard. Will kill/relocate/ or eat any venomous snakes.

I used to walk and sometimes run down trails to fish after work that looked just like that on the Bays/Flats, just gotta watch out for them. They would much rather get the hell away from you LOL...
Posted By: Blank

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 04:49 AM

Yeah, I don’t know where they were. Could have been down on the creek or bay. He is a “fukawe” Indian when it comes to directions. Agree, out in the boonies they get a pass. Last trip down, a copperhead was trying to get in the front door, and that’s a no-go!!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 05:17 AM

You do have a valid point. But generally speaking, I'd rather have a rat snake around the house than a rattle headed copper moccasin!
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 11:35 AM

Yeah, I don’t know where they were. Could have been down on the creek or bay. He is a “fukawe” Indian when it comes to directions. Agree, out in the boonies they get a pass. Last trip down, a copperhead was trying to get in the front door, and that’s a no-go!!

“Fukawe” Indian. lol35 roflmao

We may be related.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Snake ID - 04/07/21 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by unclebubba

You do have a valid point. But generally speaking, I'd rather have a rat snake around the house than a rattle headed copper moccasin!

Absolutely agree
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum