Texas Hunting Forum

Florida Shark

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:08 AM

My BIL just caught this nice Dusky at our place in Florida. My jobs were hold the rod while he roped the tail and make pics. Pretty fun stuff!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:10 AM

Looks like fun. Never caught a shark but would like to someday. Had more than one fish eaten off my line by sharks while reeling them in..... up cheers
Posted By: JCO

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:13 AM

Great picture. We don’t see many reels that big in NE Texas ... or sharks for that matter. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great time.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Looks like fun. Never caught a shark but would like to someday. Had more than one fish eaten off my line by sharks while reeling them in..... up cheers

Haha me too. What’s neat is my wife (his sister) saw the fin as he approached and said, “I think you’re fixing to get a bite!” smile
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:23 AM

Is that a tag in it?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:29 AM

Lots of fun to catch.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tbar
Is that a tag in it?

Yes. We didn’t think to get a photo of the number before we released it though.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:45 AM

You can eat them you know?
Posted By: 1955

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:50 AM

Shark steaks on the grill are great !

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by bill oxner

Not sure about Florida, but you cannot keep Dusky's in Tx. They are protected. Catch & release only.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by 1955
Shark steaks on the grill are great !

Yes Sir! Some species are VERY good on the grill.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

Not sure about Florida, but you cannot keep Dusky's in Tx. They are protected. Catch & release only.

They are protected in FL too.
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 03:04 AM

One of my favorite grilled fish..."Bluedogs" caught off San Diego...usually accidental catch while fishing for tuna, Albacore, Yellow-fin, Big-eye...but we always kept 1 or 2 blues when they showed up...grilled with a little garlic butter...poor man's swordfish steaks
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 04:35 AM

cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 12:22 PM

Looks like fun up
Posted By: Hudbone

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 12:31 PM

NP, you thinking about moving there?

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hudbone
NP, you thinking about moving there?

We have a place there and will probably spend a lot of time there when I retire. My wife is already retired (school teacher).
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 01:39 PM

Beautiful
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 02:53 PM

That’s cool!

Thanks for posting it up.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 04:00 PM

Fought an 8ft Dusky on an offshore charter trip on a snapper pole for an hour with no fighting belt or chair. Captain said "it's either a shark or a huge grouper" Finally got it to the surface and saw it was a shark, Captain came over and said "I've got some bad news, that's an endangered species and we have to release it" When the deck hand pulled it up along side the boat the Captain got an approximate length and said it was probably 300lbs. Biggest fish I've ever caught.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 04:33 PM

Are Black Tips legal in Texas?
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 04:43 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: Erny

Re: Florida Shark - 03/08/21 10:39 PM

Nice fish!!!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 12:38 AM

Nice catch!
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 11:47 AM

Caught a 400 ish pound bull shark out of Galveston............I don't go in the water much unless I see dolphins.

NP.................GD man, just retire. the beach and montana is the way to go. Sell the TX place at the high price now.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 12:59 PM

He got a big bull up to the beach last trip that was 9-10’ long but the line broke just before we tailroped him. That’s why he got the bigger reel.

Lol I hear you. I still enjoy my job too so not ready yet. But it’s gonna happen sooner rather than later. You’re right about the market right now though. It’s crazy. If we hadn’t struck when we did a few years back on the retirement places it may have been a whole different story.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 03:08 PM

Yeah, must be 24” and limited to one per day, 2 possession limit.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by rickym

Yeah, must be 24” and limited to one per day, 2 possession limit.

Two would feed a family of four or more.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 03:51 PM

They are legal here too.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 04:10 PM

Thats cool. I want to go so bad and fish the keys. Jealous nog, living the life.

I wanted to go before the kids were born or bigger, but couldn't convince the wife, now the kids are here and too small to go do all the stuff but big enough we dont want to go without them... ugh she should listen to me more often.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Thats cool. I want to go so bad and fish the keys. Jealous nog, living the life.

I wanted to go before the kids were born or bigger, but couldn't convince the wife, now the kids are here and too small to go do all the stuff but big enough we dont want to go without them... ugh she should listen to me more often.

Won’t be long you can take them. up

I want to go to the Keys too. We visited once on a cruise stop but I want to drive the bridge and spend more time there. Not the tourist spots but the more remote areas to fish also. This shark fishing is my BIL’s deal. It’s fun but too much equipment to haul around and too much waiting time for me.

I like a little more action. smile
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nogalus Prairie

I want to go to the Keys too. We visited once on a cruise stop but I want to drive the bridge and spend more time there. Not the tourist spots but the more remote areas to fish also. This shark fishing is my BIL’s deal. It’s fun but too much equipment to haul around and too much waiting time for me.

Well the snook and tarpon fishing in the keys and everglades is a lot more action. I wade fish then mangrove islands when in the everglades and the guides just can't help themselves warning about the gators. Caught back to back 52" and 54" snook wading waste deep and guide said probably would not have been able to do that on boat or skiff. I'm with you the beach fishing is heavy gear and slow to me too.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/09/21 08:16 PM

Yes, and they are delicious. Just ate the last of mine last week, need to go catch some more.

Re: Florida Shark - 03/10/21 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Always ready 2 hunt

Well the snook and tarpon fishing in the keys and everglades is a lot more action. I wade fish then mangrove islands when in the everglades and the guides just can't help themselves warning about the gators. Caught back to back 52" and 54" snook wading waste deep and guide said probably would not have been able to do that on boat or skiff. I'm with you the beach fishing is heavy gear and slow to me too.

Man that sounds like fun!
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Florida Shark - 03/10/21 04:06 PM

Man makes me want to go shark fishing.

Do you guys kayak out the baits?

Re: Florida Shark - 03/10/21 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Yessir. But it’s not very far out to the break here.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Florida Shark - 03/10/21 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Texas buckeye

Yessir. But it’s not very far out to the break here.

My last trip, in Alabama, I was dropping a bait for a large sting ray or large fish or something else that might hook into a big hook, I was paddling into some decent surf, I went straight into a wave and the whole dang kayak just flipped end over end on me. Thats how I saw it happen, and thats the story I am sticking to, not sure the video my wife took of this happening shows the exact scenario like that, but her cackling laugh while I was dumped in the water was annoying, but also funny.

We landed a couple that trip, nothing big, but we had several hook ups where line broke, hook released, and other frustrations. We had bites nearly every time we dropped bait, but was one of our more memorable unsuccessful trips overall. Makes me want to go back. Fun times for sure, even with the frustrations
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Florida Shark - 03/10/21 06:04 PM

I want to go for the reef/wreck fishing most. Would love to try spear fishing.

One of my buddies went tan took a guide for specks and reds in the bay. Sounded like a wasted trip why not do that here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum