Texas Hunting Forum

Bad winter for our deer

Posted By: Hirogen

Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:24 AM

Clearing snow off the roof at our place. Depth on the roof was 39 inches. Depth in the bush is significantly more as the roof snow is compacted and exposed to more wind and sun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Our equivalent to TPWD indicates that more than 20 inches on the ground for more than 50 days is bad. Coming up on 50 days fast and it is gonna be at least 4 weeks and quite possibly more before it is less than 20 inches. That means significant winter kill from starvation and predation and probably a 100% miscarriage rate for the does that do survive. On a lighter note - A shot of yours truly after falling/sliding off the roof and landing feet first. Entombed in hard packed snow up to my nipple on one side and over my hip on the other. Took me almost 30 minutes to get free:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:37 AM

I can’t imagine
Posted By: 270Sendero

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:42 AM

Nope. I thought the stuff we had was bad...that’s terrible.
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:44 AM

Wow. Forrest
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:49 AM

Wow. That’s crazy!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Birdboy
Wow. That’s crazy!

X2
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 03:05 AM

WOW stay safe. Cant even imagine what that is like. up
Posted By: JCO

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 03:08 AM

I’ll never complain about snow again. Oh who am I kidding? I live in Texas, I’ll always complain about it. Be safe up there.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Birdboy
Wow. That’s crazy!

When we moved to NE Ohio in 1996 our first winter storm was a bad lake effect event. We got over three feet of snow over a couple days. Being from Texas we just thought winter was here....everyone up there was freaking out because of how bad it was. Spent seven years up there.

When we were moving back home our friends asked if we were going to miss the four seasons, were we going to miss the snow.

I replied, “Next time I see snow I want it butt deep, blowing sideways, and on TV!”

You look awful damn cold in that picture! I can’t imagine dealing with that at my age.....
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 03:32 AM

WOW!!! Stay warm and safe!!
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 09:47 AM

yall are nuts
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 11:41 AM

Nope. I want absolutely nothing to do with snow
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 12:11 PM

Wow. Stay warm!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 12:50 PM

I am guessing the fall is not the scary part and did not hurt you, being buried in that packed snow is Oh Chit part.

It looks like you cut sections of snow blocks on your roof with the shovel and then slide that section onto the ground, if so it appears that you do not have enough available space on the ground for the rest of the snow on your roof, or is that just the angle of the picture?
Stay warm and safe!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 12:51 PM

All I can say is wow!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:39 PM

eeks333
Posted By: goosebuster

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 02:56 PM

Nah I am gonna pass on that!
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 04:06 PM

That’s insane.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 04:53 PM

It is amazing that the roof did not collapse under all that weight.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
I am guessing the fall is not the scary part and did not hurt you, being buried in that packed snow is Oh Chit part.

It looks like you cut sections of snow blocks on your roof with the shovel and then slide that section onto the ground, if so it appears that you do not have enough available space on the ground for the rest of the snow on your roof, or is that just the angle of the picture?
Stay warm and safe!

[Linked Image]

If i had to shovel the entire thing you are correct. In our neck of the woods the building code takes the potential snow load into account. If built to code you don't need to shovel even in bad winters. The area being shoveled was added on after the fact for fire wood storage and does not have a proper trussed roof. The point in picture that is highest up the roof is where a bearing wall is and where the engineered trusses begin. All the snow above that point stays.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 06:51 PM

After that last winter storm we had here in Texas I can’t imagine how people live in that weather for months at a time
Posted By: 1955

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 07:21 PM

I agree totally, that’s insane!
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 07:28 PM

Wow!

Amazing that any animal can survive that at all.
Posted By: LG

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 07:45 PM

wow!
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/01/21 11:18 PM

Good lord that’s deep
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Bad winter for our deer - 03/02/21 12:12 AM

Nope.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum