Texas Hunting Forum

Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck

Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 02:28 AM

I got a deer on my way to Caddo last week. Nice buck, too. I had only a nano-second glimpse of him as he ran across highway 180 into my lane.

[Linked Image]

The impact knocked him into an oncoming Focus. We made venison burger out of the buck (I won't post THAT picture) and near destroyed the Ford.

[Linked Image]

Fifty-something years of driving around Texas and elsewhere and this was my first deer hit. Funny thing was, I usually take FM 207 out of Strawn to Caddo, but intentionally avoided it that morning because I figured I'd hit a deer if I did. Grrrr.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 03:09 AM

Glad everyone was ok....about six years ago saw a buck go thru the windshield of a young lady (late teens) headed north on I-45...

It ended up in the car with her having come through the windshield.

She was banged up a bit but mostly shook up. Me and another guy pulled over to help. I called 911 to report the accident. He stayed with her to keep her from moving to to calm her while I stood in the right lane flagging traffic around the accident and slowing oncoming traffic. After the paramedics arrived I continued to block traffic in the right lane while paramedics checked her out and removed her from the vehicle standing in the right lane.

Had a trooper pull up, sit in his car on the shoulder and order me out of the right lane. Told the SOB he’d have to arrest me unless he wanted to get off his [censored] and protect the paramedics.

Worst encounter I’ve ever had with a trooper!

Posted By: Big8

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 03:12 AM

Glad you are ok, that sucks!
Posted By: Pig_Popper

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 04:57 AM

Certainly not how you planned to get the buck and we are all glad you and the Ford driver are ok!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Big8
Glad you are ok, that sucks!

We have some really great friends who live outside Portland, Roger test drives and delivers new rigs for companies and this is what happened to him on a drive.

This is his wife sharing what happened!
(Well my friends. Remember that beautiful brand new Freightliner truck Rog was taking to Detroit. An elk jumped out of the meadian in LaGrande and went thru windshield. The truck is totaled. Roger escaped with some cuts from windshield. Being towed home to Freightliner in Portland. No one else hurt. 😮😮 in all the years he has been driving he’s never wrecked. Give kudos to the State police that helped him.)

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 12:52 PM

Plan your work and work your plan.
Posted By: Ol Thumper

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 12:53 PM

Super glad y’all are safe!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 01:27 PM

I once hit a bull elk in Northern Arizona. Totaled my pickup.
Posted By: Joelk54

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 05:57 PM

Great you OK
Posted By: TCM3

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/16/20 06:31 PM

Dang! glad you're alright.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/17/20 01:11 AM

Had a big fat Muel Deer doe hit us in Wyoming a few years back. Wife was driving kept it straight in the lane, on coming traffic to the left and borrow ditch to the right. That was a $3000.00 deer after truck was fixed.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Not How I'd Planned to Get a Buck - 12/17/20 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by TCM3
Dang! glad you're alright.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum