Texas Hunting Forum

Axis?

Posted By: Sparta

Axis? - 11/02/20 04:35 PM

I have seen both Axis and Blackbucks within a mile of our ranch but I've never see either on the property (game cam or live). I came across this pic and thought it was a little late to see a fawn with spots. Could this be a young axis doe?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: spg

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 04:38 PM

negative
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 04:41 PM

Nah, just a WT fawn.

Be patient, the axis will show up. But you gotta be ready to shoot when you see one. They don't hang around like a WT.

Axis drift through my place. 'Still waiting on some blackbuck. grin

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 04:51 PM

Yeah, I figured it was a bit of wishful thinking. I know they will have a line of spots running across the lower body. Just wasn't sure if it was the same for younger axis.

I've actually seen (more than once) a group of blackbuck directly across the street from our entrance. The only high fenced portion of the property runs along that side of the ranch.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 06:50 PM

Yep, that's a whitetail fawn.

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 07:15 PM

It's my understanding that blackbuck don't need a high fence; they'll only go under or through a hole in the fence.

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 07:18 PM

So your saying I should cut a hole in the fence ninja

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 10:06 PM

Definitely not. Good fences make good neighbors. But, it's been known to happen. I have a few very neglected fences on my place. I'm in no hurry to fix them. "Hope springs eternal."
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Axis? - 11/02/20 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
It's my understanding that blackbuck don't need a high fence; they'll only go under or through a hole in the fence.
They are masters at getting through or under a fence. Even a good mesh fence usually won't hold them.
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Axis? - 11/03/20 02:02 AM

Nah, just a WT fawn.

Be patient, the axis will show up. But you gotta be ready to shoot when you see one. They don't hang around like a WT.

Posted By: Stub

Re: Axis? - 11/03/20 11:24 AM

If that is a WT fawn it is certainly the largest fawn I have ever seen with spots?

Re: Axis? - 11/03/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
If that is a WT fawn it is certainly the largest fawn I have ever seen with spots?

That is what my BIL said but I think it's the angle of the camera making the fawn look bigger than it is.

I'll know for sure after this weekend when I sit that blind smile
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Axis? - 11/03/20 04:51 PM

Nah, just a WT fawn.

This is an exact description of the last 8 years in Mason County.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum