Texas Hunting Forum

Field Finding!

Posted By: Wildland Systems Consulting

Field Finding! - 10/01/20 06:13 PM

[Linked Image]

Does anyone else get excited about making discoveries such as this out in the field?
Posted By: Archer Anthony

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 06:19 PM

all the time. Love it!
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 06:36 PM

Wonder what breed of cow that came from...
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 06:45 PM

I hate to admit it, but yes and it's just from a stupid cow. My grandson's have to take the bones home. There mother
loves me for it. lol
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 07:29 PM

cheers found this field...
[Linked Image]
bang it's been picked over though... rofl

Hog hunts on WMA's found several shed's, rofl they were all abandoned though...

Found several a antlers, used for rattling, rofl they'd been dropped by the user...

Ya, scratch ya never know what ya might find while wondering about the woods...

up kool thread...
flag
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 07:42 PM

Kind of, but when I was cleaning random bones and other dead things from the bed of my pickup after every trip to the deer lease with the boys, I got over it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sneaky
Kind of, but when I was cleaning random bones and other dead things from the bed of my pickup after every trip to the deer lease with the boys, I got over it.

roflmao

Truth.

Also, at my place it means a cow died, and that's never good.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 07:51 PM

Not anymore. The only thing I really get excited about finding anymore are sheds.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 09:28 PM

Last year we found several arrow heads...
Bro found 4-5 & i found 2-3 in roughly half hour...
flag
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 09:33 PM

clap
Posted By: JGL Hunting

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 10:57 PM

All the time -- love finding random things including bones.

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 11:44 PM

So long as they are having fun right? Better bone collecting than wasting away inside.

Re: Field Finding! - 10/01/20 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by colt.45
cheers found this field...
[Linked Image]
bang it's been picked over though... rofl

Hog hunts on WMA's found several shed's, rofl they were all abandoned though...

Found several a antlers, used for rattling, rofl they'd been dropped by the user...

Ya, scratch ya never know what ya might find while wondering about the woods...

up kool thread...
flag

It's stuff like this that makes every day out a great time. Even if the hunting doesn't pan out, there is always something to make up for it in some way.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Field Finding! - 10/02/20 01:46 AM

I do.
In fact, around April or May I found a cow rib while reclaiming a trail that was so old, I'm pretty sure it was from the same cow that me and my brothers discovered about 35 years ago. That was the day we all 3 learned about internal gases from decay and pressure relief. I have about 3 or 4 different skulls on my porch now in Fort Worth. Lots more at the land. Dogs find cool stuff too, nasty stuff sometimes though.

Re: Field Finding! - 10/02/20 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
I do.
In fact, around April or May I found a cow rib while reclaiming a trail that was so old, I'm pretty sure it was from the same cow that me and my brothers discovered about 35 years ago. That was the day we all 3 learned about internal gases from decay and pressure relief. I have about 3 or 4 different skulls on my porch now in Fort Worth. Lots more at the land. Dogs find cool stuff too, nasty stuff sometimes though.

Decay and pressure.... sounds like a lesson I would be happy to never learn in person.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Field Finding! - 10/02/20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Wildland Systems Consulting

So long as they are having fun right? Better bone collecting than wasting away inside.

Yep.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Field Finding! - 10/02/20 02:53 PM

I have found all sorts of things over the years from .....skulls, bones, odd shape rocks, huge pieces of petrified wood, Indian artifacts, spent rimfire casings from the 1800's, very old bottles, very old oil cans, broken pieces of old china down under layers of debris in an Indian mound, old moonshine still, cow/sheep bells, old rounds that had been fired on an old military bombing range, parts of a 1800's wagon that had huge Cottonwood tree grown up in the middle of it, remains of an old homestead next to a spring on the western prairie of Kansas, old tools, old livestock troughs made out of hollowed out log...etc.
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Field Finding! - 10/02/20 02:55 PM

I'm a junker aka collector so I always have one eye looking for cool stuff.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Field Finding! - 10/02/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by angus1956
I'm a junker aka collector so I always have one eye looking for cool stuff.

Same here. I have some interesting things in my rock garden.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Field Finding! - 10/03/20 12:49 AM

The jawbone of an [censored]?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Field Finding! - 10/03/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have found all sorts of things over the years from .....skulls, bones, odd shape rocks, huge pieces of petrified wood, Indian artifacts, spent rimfire casings from the 1800's, very old bottles, very old oil cans, broken pieces of old china down under layers of debris in an Indian mound, old moonshine still, cow/sheep bells, old rounds that had been fired on an old military bombing range, parts of a 1800's wagon that had huge Cottonwood tree grown up in the middle of it, remains of an old homestead next to a spring on the western prairie of Kansas, old tools, old livestock troughs made out of hollowed out log...etc.

up
I think we have been down the same road.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Field Finding! - 10/03/20 02:01 AM

I have found all sorts of things over the years, very old bottles, remains of an old homestead

The bottles are my favorites, I don't find many new ones anymore because, well, I'm not a kid on the outside so I stay on my side of the fence nowadays. The homesteads reminded me of the old wells we used to find. Hand dug, 30 or so inches in diameter and brick walled. Mom hated us finding them and exploring from the topside. I taught my daughter to drive recently and from what I can tell from the county road anyway, most of the ones I knew of are filled in. I don't tell my kids about them, for the same reason Momma hated them.

Re: Field Finding! - 10/03/20 12:14 PM

Sounds like you have had quite an adventure. One of my favorite things to find is shell casings and intact rounds. I especially like finding calibers that I have never heard of before. Just the other week I found a 308 Marlin Express. Had no idea what that was, and now I need one....
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Field Finding! - 10/03/20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wildland Systems Consulting

Sounds like you have had quite an adventure. One of my favorite things to find is shell casings and intact rounds. I especially like finding calibers that I have never heard of before. Just the other week I found a 308 Marlin Express. Had no idea what that was, and now I need one....

Here are some pics of a few of my finds.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum